[Addon v1.110/112] Beam Me Up! v0.2.1 (early alpha!)

• Could this mod also access other/Mystcraft dimensions? Nether? End?

I'd love a solution for interdimensional travel that is more in line with the rest of the technological/industrial feel of my mods, rather than magic books and portals.

• Could this mod also access other/Mystcraft dimensions? Nether? End?

It's definitely possible, and it's something I'd like to do, but I'm not sure how to balance it with the intra-dimensional teleport mechanics.

It feels like an inter-dimensional teleport should be quite expensive, and very range-limited -- perhaps even a forced 1:1 mapping of coordinates (and then what about the Nether's native 1:16 mapping?) -- because you're using the transporter in a way it's "not designed" to be used.

Though, to be fair, I'm also not sure if I want to build this into the regular transporter or make the inter-dimensional one a special machine of its own -- if the inter-dimensional transporter is its own machine, it can have different freedoms and limitations so it's theoretically easier to balance.

For now, I'm saving thoughts of inter-dimensional teleporting for after I have the basics ready and working, but feel free to suggest restrictions/freedoms that might make it balance well.

• t feels like an inter-dimensional teleport should be quite expensive, and very range-limited -- perhaps even a forced 1:1 mapping of coordinates (and then what about the Nether's native 1:16 mapping?) -- because you're using the transporter in a way it's "not designed" to be used.

The thing that cause RC to be OP ... Minecart teleportation :/. I hope your addon won't do it ? Or at a very high EU cost ?

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• The thing that cause RC to be OP ... Minecart teleportation :/. I hope your addon won't do it ? Or at a very high EU cost ?

Minecart teleportation is an odd problem, and I may end up just blacklisting carts altogether. Considering you're allowed to teleport chests, tanks, and any other interesting tile entity, though, we may just be building a completely different level of OPness here. Who needs to teleport a lava cart when you can just teleport around two buildcraft tanks' worth of the stuff at a time instead? Or a pair of MFSUs. Or a pair of redstone energy cells.

I'll be checking for every kind of API I can think of to try to get a charge reading or equivalent from the stuff that gets teleported, to make it cost more for a higher charge. This shouldn't make teleporting stuff useless, but it'll go a reasonable way towards reducing the impact. All of it configurable, of course -- if you want teleporting MFSUs to be free, that should be permissible, as long as you're willing to go config-diving. Expect something like "cost per thousand EU" and "cost per hundred MJ" and the like. We already have cost per item for inventories.

• I played around with it a bit earlier and when I teleported a MFSU with a lapotron crystal in it the crystal vanished. The MFSU kept the charge though.

I will be playing more with this for sure! It's awesome!

I will definitely be using this on my server when it's released!

• I played around with it a bit earlier and when I teleported a MFSU with a lapotron crystal in it the crystal vanished. The MFSU kept the charge though.

That's really weird, it should've lost neither or both -- the way I'm doing the block teleports for things that have tile entities is pretty much exactly the same as Minecraft does when chunks unload and reload -- but I'll try replicating it and trace through what's happening if I see it happening. Even if I can't fix it, though, I may end up calling it "the vagaries of teleporting". I'll be much more worried if you lose items out of teleported chests.

Glad you're enjoying it! I've been messing around with Redpower in 1.4.6 today and recently wished I could teleport my charging bench so it wouldn't lose its charge ^^ Isn't that silly?

• ive been testing some this week while i was sick with the flu. i have yet to corrupt my world or cause chunks to reset as you have stated in the first post of this topic. from what i have seen it is quite stable or at least on my end. later i am going to test my luck and try to teleport a block out past the loaded chunks. and see what happens. its 256 blocks that are loaded in every direction right from the player?

• Tried it again today and the crystal didn't vanish this time.

That sounds more like I'd expect. Let me know if you have something weird happen again.

ive been testing some this week while i was sick with the flu. i have yet to corrupt my world or cause chunks to reset as you have stated in the first post of this topic.

That's excellent news, or at least confirmation. This was the version most likely to have corrupting weirdness happen, so I can probably soften that notice from the OP soon.

its 256 blocks that are loaded in every direction right from the player?

Something like that. I've teleported things over 1800 blocks and had no real issue, so I suspect it'll just work.

• I've done an update to Minecraft 1.4.6 and the newer IC2 and ComputerCraft, and everything seems fine except the blocks are getting registered in the Creative tab twice, for some reason. They seem to work all right, however, so I'm not going to bug hunt -- doing the update was the high priority here.

I've also toned down the warnings in the OP quite a bit, as I get the feeling they're not really as necessary anymore -- we've had people try to break it for at least a week now without managing it. Of course, now we can try it on RedPower blocks (and microblocks) so things might start breaking... but it's somewhat unlikely.

• It's not exactly Star Trek canon, but transporters might be an interesting usage for liquid UU-matter. considering that you're basically creating something from an energy beam. Perhaps cutting the power requirement when transporting from the non-transporter location to the transporter location (with liquid UU-matter piped into the transporter to be used in the re-materialization process), but the normal higher energy requirement going from the transporter to the non-transporter lcoation (since you would need all energy and no matter to re-materialize).

• It's not exactly Star Trek canon, but transporters might be an interesting usage for liquid UU-matter. considering that you're basically creating something from an energy beam.

Okay, yeah, I totally love that idea. After all, we have this handy protomatter here in the form of UU... yeah, this one's going straight to the future plans page. Thank you!

• I hope you are planning to keep the computer craft interface! I love the idea that a computer is required to control the teleporting. Maybe you could make a "transporter controller" block that would have a gui that controls the transporters and interdictors instead of having the gui on the machines themselves for those that do not want to use computercraft. I love the idea of a remote control panel that controls the teleporting.

• I hope you are planning to keep the computer craft interface! I love the idea that a computer is required to control the teleporting.

Absolutely! I'd like to extend that to Redpower computers at some point, even, but that's a long-term plan that'll keep.

Maybe you could make a "transporter controller" block that would have a gui that controls the transporters and interdictors instead of having the gui on the machines themselves for those that do not want to use computercraft. I love the idea of a remote control panel that controls the teleporting.

Transporter console, yes. I actually had the same epiphany a few days ago and realized I'd increased the amount of work I'd have to do, a little, but that it would also fit so much better. The console would need to be fairly close to the transporter it's controlling, and perhaps require something like line of sight to it, but that would work nicely. Moreover, we can use the same console for controlling the interdictors and getting status reports from them when they block a transport lock.

There will be GUIs for the machines, though, for two things: EU storage feedback, and frequency setting, as the console will need to be on-frequency to do anything. But yeah. Absolutely the right idea.

• Also, I love the idea about UU-matter! What if there was a mode that when transporting something to a remote location without a recieving transporter you could have it use nearby materials to reconstruct the package to conserve engergy? It could use nearby blocks as raw material instead of energy or UU-matter.

You'd teleport into a crater depending on the energy cost. Or maybe it'd just use random blocks nearby.

• Transporter console, yes. I actually had the same epiphany a few days ago and realized I'd increased the amount of work I'd have to do, a little, but that it would also fit so much better. The console would need to be fairly close to the transporter it's controlling, and perhaps require something like line of sight to it, but that would work nicely. Moreover, we can use the same console for controlling the interdictors and getting status reports from them when they block a transport lock.

There will be GUIs for the machines, though, for two things: EU storage feedback, and frequency setting, as the console will need to be on-frequency to do anything. But yeah. Absolutely the right idea.

Not sure if it should require line-of-sight. Then you wouldn't be able to have the controls in a separate room if you would like that. It might be better if it just needs to be within a certain radius and on the right frequency.

• Also, I love the idea about UU-matter! What if there was a mode that when transporting something to a remote location without a recieving transporter you could have it use nearby materials to reconstruct the package to conserve engergy? It could use nearby blocks as raw material instead of energy or UU-matter.

That doesn't sound like it should work -- dematerializing is itself an energy-expensive process. UU-matter is already primed to be shaped into something else (hence why Steve can use just a regular old crafting table to produce stuff out of it), but regular matter isn't.

Not sure if it should require line-of-sight. Then you wouldn't be able to have the controls in a separate room if you would like that. It might be better if it just needs to be within a certain radius and on the right frequency.

Yes, I'm kind of undecided on it, myself. To clarify "something like line of sight", I was thinking there should be a path of air blocks (not necessarily human-traversable) between the console and what it's controlling. But, thinking about it some more, that could get fairly expensive to check if I was going to do it right, without really being a particularly useful or interesting limitation. I think I'll just make it as you say: be in range and on the right frequency.