~0.7.0-534~ MachineMuse's Modular Powersuits

• Yes, the default EU->MJ ratio is 1:50. It's pretty silly. I also definitely need to tune the energy costs, as mentioned. What would you think is a reasonable cost?

I'm also thinking of making it an exponential scale rather than a linear scale; so that, say, 200% sprint boost will cost 10x as much energy as a 100% sprint boost, and 300% will cost 10x as much as that, rather than costing twice as much.

Alternatively, I'm definitely going to change it so that rather than having a 'battery size' slider, you can simply install more than one capacitor in an item. Maybe this sort of discrete 'more upgrades = more power' would be more intuitive for people.

Was something about power conversions changed recently?
    Your site states that it should be 1:1 unless UE is instlled, and i think it actually worked that way a few versions ago and seemed pretty reasonable.
    Now it's using the 50:1 ratio which makes on one side everything ridiculously cheap in terms of power and on the other stock IC2 tools just murder my capacitor.

I'm not sure an exponential scale is a good idea, it's harder to understand and harder to balance (without making the low end stuff way too cheap or high end stuff cost way too much power).

• It would really make choosing your upgrades wisely and sparsely until you can upgrade your capacitor, so there's that. (ie, running a jetpack on a LV capacitor would probably get you a few seconds of flight, lol)
    Sprinting and jumping could be a viable option for someone with the LV capacitor, but only at 120-140% sprint speed, or you run into some serious energy problems. This wouldn't be a problem for someone with 2 HVs, they could go crazy and boost it to the max.
    Thruster-upgrades (jet boots/pack/underwater) and the Energy Shield would be extremely energy hungry. This would push you to have a high energy infrastructure already built and producing, and have a high capacity energy storage. You would have to recharge your armor at the same frequency as the guy across the street with his LV, and use TONS more power, but you're Flash compared to him.

And by that point you just got another gravity suit with a funky table.

• And by that point you just got another gravity suit with a funky table.

While I see where you're coming from and respect your view, I disagree. The suit, at that tech level, costs exponentially more than the gravity suit does, and does NOT offer near-invincibility and creative flight (it's jetpack flight).

If able (It's MachineMuse's addon, after all), we need to balance this as a group and come to a conclusion and agreement on what is balanced or not. What do you, or anyone reading this post, suggest? We need more voices!

• Since the suit costs so much more than the gravity suit it makes more sense that it's more powerful. With it being modular it is much more powerful of a suit after all. Lets say... the gravity suit is tier IV armor for IC2 the powersuit is practially tier V and thus should be more powerful than previous versions of armor. One would expect it to have a higher energy capacity (imo upgrades and capacitors) The invincibility of course could come in the form of the energy shield cause that's basically what the quantum and gravity suit is doing using energy to protect you from damage.

• Was something about power conversions changed recently?
    Your site states that it should be 1:1 unless UE is instlled, and i think it actually worked that way a few versions ago and seemed pretty reasonable.
    Now it's using the 50:1 ratio which makes on one side everything ridiculously cheap in terms of power and on the other stock IC2 tools just murder my capacitor.

I'm not sure an exponential scale is a good idea, it's harder to understand and harder to balance (without making the low end stuff way too cheap or high end stuff cost way too much power).

Yes, I took that behaviour out and forgot to document doing so. Sorry :( I'm still kinda new at this whole 'releasing' thing... I can put it back in, I guess. It seemed like it might be bad if someone were to use these powersuits with their IC2 or Gregtech for a while, then decide to try out UE and suddenly have the issues you're having now.

And by that point you just got another gravity suit with a funky table.

I won't lie, one of the first inklings I had to make this mod was because everyone on my server was flying around in gravisuits and I couldn't tell anyone apart except by their names! I wanted to see player's skins again...

While I see where you're coming from and respect your view, I disagree. The suit, at that tech level, costs exponentially more than the gravity suit does, and does NOT offer near-invincibility and creative flight (it's jetpack flight).

If able (It's MachineMuse's addon, after all), we need to balance this as a group and come to a conclusion and agreement on what is balanced or not. What do you, or anyone reading this post, suggest? We need more voices!

I'd certainly like to satisfy anyone who wants to use it, if possible. :P I'd like it to be usable, valuable and unique at each sort of 'tier' of development. I suppose my only hope to compete with mods that are poorly balanced (like a certain set of bronze tools for example...not referring to IC2's) is to offer utility modules that make up for the lack of raw numerical strength (like how TC3's boots of travel do exactly that.) That's why I wanted to have the basic suit be craftable at basically 'iron is just starting to become ubiquitous' tech level and have a few other modules but have the proper armor modules be either prohibitively heavy or expensive until much later. I might try to make some kind of 'auto-balance' feature that automatically selects a comfortable overclocking level for your modules, based on the amount of capacitor storage you have available. How does that sound? If it uses those values to pick defaults, it would help with all the youngsters who don't read the manual and then complain that their tool isn't any better than a stone equivalent. :P

Since the suit costs so much more than the gravity suit it makes more sense that it's more powerful. With it being modular it is much more powerful of a suit after all. Lets say... the gravity suit is tier IV armor for IC2 the powersuit is practially tier V and thus should be more powerful than previous versions of armor. One would expect it to have a higher energy capacity (imo upgrades and capacitors) The invincibility of course could come in the form of the energy shield cause that's basically what the quantum and gravity suit is doing using energy to protect you from damage.

mmhm. Well, with 4 full-strength diamond platings and/or energy shields, you can reach a maximum of 96% reduction, with no cap on the total absorption. It's not quite invincibility, but you can hang out in a UE black hole for a good 30 seconds or so before the forces of gravity overcome your padded health bar~ I might add a 4th tier of defenses which bypasses the 6-points-per-item cap in exchange for some exorbitant amount of (energy and material) resources.

BUT FIRST! Keybinds. They're coming along but I keep getting sucked into various school projects, so no 24-hour release cycle anymore.

So far, I have it so that you can assign a keybind to the mod, then each assigned keybind can have a number of toggleable modules assigned to it. Pressing the key will toggle all the modules attached to that key. Does that make sense/is it intuitive enough? I figure it's probably better than assigning a new keybind for every. single. module. Since with a proper toggling mechanism, that enables a lot more possibilities, like night vision goggles and a more advanced flight control system (too many people asked for hover mode...)

• mmhm. Well, with 4 full-strength diamond platings and/or energy shields, you can reach a maximum of 96% reduction, with no cap on the total absorption. It's not quite invincibility, but you can hang out in a UE black hole for a good 30 seconds or so before the forces of gravity overcome your padded health bar~ I might add a 4th tier of defenses which bypasses the 6-points-per-item cap in exchange for some exorbitant amount of (energy and material) resources.

BUT FIRST! Keybinds. They're coming along but I keep getting sucked into various school projects, so no 24-hour release cycle anymore.

So far, I have it so that you can assign a keybind to the mod, then each assigned keybind can have a number of toggleable modules assigned to it. Pressing the key will toggle all the modules attached to that key. Does that make sense/is it intuitive enough? I figure it's probably better than assigning a new keybind for every. single. module. Since with a proper toggling mechanism, that enables a lot more possibilities, like night vision goggles and a more advanced flight control system (too many people asked for hover mode...)

Nice and interesting to see.

• Hi so I really wanna use this add-on but I can't find Industrialcraft 2 1.112.198 ;S Can someone please give me the link to it?

• While I see where you're coming from and respect your view, I disagree. The suit, at that tech level, costs exponentially more than the gravity suit does, and does NOT offer near-invincibility and creative flight (it's jetpack flight).

Huh, how does it cost more than a gravy suit and it's zillions of sub components and their iridium requirements?
    Unless you are talking about gregtech mode which i don't play so can't really discuss.

What do you, or anyone reading this post, suggest? We need more voices!

IMHO the power cost balance at that 50:1 mode a few versions ago was pretty sensible.
    When i just installed this mod in my current world i was at "one geogen with infinite lava and an mfe" infrastructure level and it was useable, with reasonable flight time for the jetpack and constant visits to said MFE to recharge ;)
    When i upgraded my infrastructure to the "~700 eu/t constant production and 5 full MFSUs just sitting there" energy cost became a non-issue as it should be IMHO

For the future additions: i think hover mode should cost like the current (err, the 50:1 i mean) jetpack if you constantly hold space down and creative flight maybe 50%-100% more than that, no 10x exponential multipliers please :)

Also a small feature request - something that makes sprinting a toggle, so i don't have to constantly double tap forward.

• The Potential of this mod/addon is incredible, The incremental upgrades and everything really helps boost it up overtime instead of obtaining god mode once you make the armor for the first time. Being able to tweak each upgrade individually could easily give some variances on servers with everyone running around in quantum. I love the idea of being able to turn the tool up to max for clearing area, then tone it down for doing some precision work on a structure.

I would like to see the high powered modes have more of a cost, not just first time cost, but higher energy upkeep as well so it doesn't just become crank everything up to max all the time. The idea of Exponential Energy costs sounds fun to me.

Also, would you ever consider a Mobile tinker bench? Not one to install upgrades anywhere, but one to adjust overclocking mid building without having to dash back to the stationary one. Just a convenience idea.

Proud IndustrialCraft user Since Minecraft beta 1.3 (Or 1.4, To many nukes to the face can cause memory issues.)

• Mmm yeah... the energy conversion rates of using IC2 tools with the suit is very drastic. Got my Battery Capacitors set to around 50% increase, allows for lots of energy without weighing you down so I have around 9.38 Mj (million jules) add on another 2 million when using the power tool. When you use any IC2 tool it eats up 100k energy. Certain it's been reported already but I'd thought I'd add more weight into what was said. Haven't tested using the Nano Saber with this suit to see what results of power drain it has on the suits internal capacitors yet.

Also suggestion for the power tool for upgrades is adding a silk touch upgrade and also a fortune upgrade.

• I am tempted to use this mod but first, I hear it is far cheaper to use UE, which I am a total N00B at for charging these suits, is this true... Also the expensive GregTech Recipes must be a config option for me to use this addon, maybe when the J to EU ratio is balanced and the GT recipes are a config I might use this mod... But, it sure looks cool :thumbup:

• Charge pads are an easy way to recharge the suit without taking it off and they accept EU. It just gets converted into megajoules which is the form of energy the suit uses.

Hmm... wish the suit as it slowly lost energy over time through use would be equalized so far only my boots have been draining when doing all the things I do with it. mining, jetpacking, swimming, ect, ect. Besides these minor bugs I'm really loving this mod. So versitile to have and use, pretty much made me toss my Diamond Drill in the trash can when I got the thing same as with my chainsaw, although the power tool lacks a shearing mode.

• I am tempted to use this mod but first, I hear it is far cheaper to use UE, which I am a total N00B at for charging these suits, is this true... Also the expensive GregTech Recipes must be a config option for me to use this addon, maybe when the J to EU ratio is balanced and the GT recipes are a config I might use this mod... But, it sure looks cool :thumbup:

GT recipes are optional, and in pure IC2 mode the recipes are pretty reasonable. No idea about UE.

• GT recipes are optional, and in pure IC2 mode the recipes are pretty reasonable. No idea about UE.

Reading some other posts I learned of the GT options, but 50 J to 1 EU is crazy, and for the exponential costs, no, 10 J to 1 EU sounds good to me, and what is this about breaking BackTools...

• I noticed that when you use the jetpack to fly or try to use the glider mode to glide and you have the power tool in your hand you fly or glide at a much slower pace. Actually from the looks of it I think it could be that the weight of the tool is just too heavy lol