Blocking code in IC2?

• Then the solution is simple. Don't use that folder.
    Better yet, don't use a modpack launcher at all. While I'll grant Magic Launcher and the like are useful, all you really need is a backup of minecraft.jar, a text editor, an archiving tool that can open minecraft.jar and a little patience to be willing to change your ID's and/or mods to the settings of whatever server you're logging into are. Then you avoid the issue entirely.
    Granted, that causes problems when trying to distribute modpacks, but I see that as a minor inconvenience I can put up with. By running with only the default launcher and those things above, I have the freedom to run whatever mods I want, at whatever versions I want, with whatever config I want. I'm not restrained to whatever Minecraft the launcher uses (Such as for example the long time Technic was stuck at 1.2.5), I'm not restrained to someone else's idea of what the best combination of mods are, I can up or downgrade both Minecraft and the mods as I please - in short, I find things better without a custom launcher.

I just use Magic for the convenience of it - and I don't suffer from the problem you do.

This is the problem with modders you really only have two option either the slowpoke vacation fund aka FTB or do stuff manually and hope that both you and yours fixed all the item ids the same way in order to play together. But this will also happen with minecraft.exe

• ^
    You could just use the default folder, instead of insisting on using it in pluspluslauncher's directory...
    Granted, CovertJaguar could have had better ways to do it instead of targeting the directory.

• Yep. I mean, in Windows it's really simple. Select the pluspluslauncher folder. Hit F2 to rename it. Give it a new name. Now it's no longer affected by it.

• Do you actually realize that you are fighting a war on the back of your users?

As someone already mentioned: some people just don't know how to mod Minecraft and they know way too less about PCs to learn it. Those people are happy that they can find even a tool that allows them to add mods to Minecraft, and just because you can't stand a lack of credit for a second, you destroy the fun for these people right away.

• Do you actually realize that you are fighting a war on the back of your users?

As someone already mentioned: some people just don't know how to mod Minecraft and they know way too less about PCs to learn it. Those people are happy that they can find even a tool that allows them to add mods to Minecraft, and just because you can't stand a lack of credit for a second, you destroy the fun for these people right away.

I had no idea how to mod either. Considering that there are a lot of good "Hold my hand" tutorials out there, I'm pretty sure they could just do exactly what the tutorial does them to do, which was what I did ;) .
    And yes, how hard is it to give credit? (Ugh, I have to type 5 words. Totally not worth it >.>)

• to be honest i find "modpacks" to just be a crutch for the lazy and/or dumb. i taught my nehpew who is 9 how to properly install minecraft mods in under 20mins so he could join my extended family's private server. its really not hard to set up a modlist and config-pack then you don't even need to put any permissions on your site since you're not hosting any files. you're just linking to threads/sites from the authors AND it weeds out the probable troublemaking players and trolls since they wont bother to download the right version of forge then the 40 odd mods in the right versions separately and then the config pack. whereas any semi-serious player that has 2 braincells to rub together wont mind the slight hassle of the download / install process to play on a well moderated balanced server

• You weed out the trolls and troublemaking players by using whitelists and inviting your friends to play. Since they're already your friends, why make them waste their time downloading, configuring, and possibly tweaking a ton of mods to play nice together?

I find forcing users to download all of the mods individually to just be a crutch for the lazy and dumb. Not understanding the critical importance of ease-of-use is a sign of technical incompetence.

• You weed out the trolls and troublemaking players by using whitelists and inviting your friends to play. Since they're already your friends, why make them waste their time downloading, configuring, and possibly tweaking a ton of mods to play nice together?

I find forcing users to download all of the mods individually to just be a crutch for the lazy and dumb. Not understanding the critical importance of ease-of-use is a sign of technical incompetence.

I agree with you here, but modpacks should follow what the mod authors/licenses want of them.

• for private server you can just share JAR + config + mods folder via skype or teamspeak this is TOS\EULA violation, but nobody will notice, since server is private.

modpacks are for braindamaged, it cant be hard to follow instruction of 5 lines for Human.

• for private server you can just share JAR + config + mods folder via skype or teamspeak this is TOS\EULA violation, but nobody will notice, since server is private.

modpacks are for braindamaged, it cant be hard to follow instruction of 5 lines for Human.

Your first sentence is pretty much true-though it goes against my ethics :3
    Your second sentence: I believe mod packs are for those 5-10 year olds who don't understand what a "folder" is. Modpacks should only be like a crutch while you learn how to mod your Minecraft yourself.

• 1) Minecraft is 12++
    ah well, let everyone play it, but basically PC for users above age of 6.

2) 12 years is 5th grade of basic equcation school, if user is not brain damaged, it will have nice chance to follow instruction of 5 lines and will google words like "folder" if for any reason dont know what is it.
    Also minecraft is digital download only, if user managed to find game, pirate\buy it, he definely know how google works.

I will post later container discovery code, it will allow mod to detect modpack wrapper ever if folder is changed or any other actions performed, if minecraft loaded via modpack lancher it can be detected.

• 1) Minecraft is 12++
    ah well, let everyone play it, but basically PC for users above age of 6.

2) 12 years is 5th grade of basic equcation school, if user is not brain damaged, it will have nice chance to follow instruction of 5 lines and will google words like "folder" if for any reason dont know what is it.
    Also minecraft is digital download only, if user managed to find game, pirate\buy it, he definely know how google works.

I will post later container discovery code, it will allow mod to detect modpack wrapper ever if folder is changed or any other actions performed, if minecraft loaded via modpack lancher it can be detected.

There's something awesome called "word of mouth": "Hey, my 15-year old brother is playing this awesome game called Minecraft! He said we can get it at minecraft.net! etc." Anybody can get Minecraft, as long as their parents consent... I agree that PCs should be for kids 6+ :3 Will be interested to see the container discovery code.

Alblaka:

Do not distribute anything we've made.

Can't find anywhere where it says that private redistribution is allowed...

• Official Post

Alblaka:

Can't find anywhere where it says that private redistribution is allowed...

Well, I cannot find the source you got that quote from. Older version of the ToS?

Modifying any or all of the files of IC is permitted without limitations for private use only.
    The publication of modified IC² files (in compiled format) can be permitted under conditions noted here.

1. Modifying without limitations, which includes reusage and redistribution is permitted for private use. If you own a server and only hand out the files to a few selected people (and can assume those won't hand out the files publiccy either), it's private.
    2. PUBLICcing the modified files, as in providing a freely avaible download is restricted. public != private

• Ah, yes, Mojang ToS, which I think was what RawCode was talking about.
    Then you came in with a different ToS :3

• you can see this TOS line in minecraft main menu...

mojang TOS > any mod TOS.

Except, you know, the Mojang TOS is a poorly written piece of crap that doesn't make any sense and contradicts itself half the time.