Blocking code in IC2?

• This would all be solved if somebody just asked somebody at Mojang to say if this was a mod/plugin or not ^^

• So you're glad RichardG is violating the license of a Mod that isn't even his?

Jesus Christ, you people amaze me.

• Nope, Mojang TOS says Minecraft Mods can 'do whatever they want' and accordingly this includes specifying an own ToS for the mod itself ^^

I would be wary about using that sort of sloppy legal language to support your argument. "Mods can do whatever they want" is fine in conversation, but in actual terms of service, it's just about meaningless.

Even if Mojang's TOS document says that minecraft mods can 'do whatever they want', that doesn't grant legal backing to everything a minecraft mod does. For a ridiculous example, let's say I made a mod with terms of service that transfer ownership of the user's computer to me, as well as sovereignty over the continent of Antarctica. Would I have the legal ability to do that? No, of course not, but it falls within the extremely vague guidelines of Mojang's terms of service.

• Official Post

I would be wary about using that sort of sloppy legal language to support your argument. "Mods can do whatever they want" is fine in conversation, but in actual terms of service, it's just about meaningless.

Even if Mojang's TOS document says that minecraft mods can 'do whatever they want', that doesn't grant legal backing to everything a minecraft mod does. For a ridiculous example, let's say I made a mod with terms of service that transfer ownership of the user's computer to me, as well as sovereignty over the continent of Antarctica. Would I have the legal ability to do that? No, of course not, but it falls within the extremely vague guidelines of Mojang's terms of service.

Both the things you mentioned are PERMITTED from Mojang's side... though forbidden by other partys (f.e. there is a law in Germany that would forbid a compoany to state the former example of yours).

With the 'vague' statements, Mojang merely offers itself will not restrict modders. This doesn't mean modders are unrestricted entirely (due to (inter)national laws and blarg), but it means you can pretty much specify your own ToS, unless you really insist on doing something amazingly retarded (like claiming Antarctica).

• Official Post

DAMMIT *removes Claiming of Antarctica from ToS*

• I am tired of dealing with this crap I am just going to put the Anti-DRM coremods into my packs now, and be done with all of this childish garbage.

Ok

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

Are you sure you can trust GRichard? He could've poisoned your Computer with that little "Mod", which could be a serious Virus.

If it is, i will happily laugh about it as many people will be affected because of one being "tired of this crap" . :D

• Are you sure you can trust GRichard? He could've poisoned your Computer with that little "Mod", which could be a serious Virus.

I'm pretty sure he already knows who GRichard is on the SA Forums. They don't tolerate attacks against other members on that site (unless its purely 'for humor'), and losing your account on there is the same as losing as sizable monetary investment as they have plenty of subscription fees within their organization...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• Are you sure you can trust GRichard? He could've poisoned your Computer with that little "Mod", which could be a serious Virus.

Until someone can prove otherwise its safe, richyG has proven IC2 can't be trusted.

I'm pretty sure he already knows who GRichard is on the SA Forums. They don't tolerate attacks against other members on that site (unless its purely 'for humor'), and losing your account on there is the same as losing as sizable monetary investment as they have plenty of subscription fees within their organization...

You mean 10 bucks to join?

• I feel like I need to throw my 2 cents in now. If I make a mod, its my mod, if you don't like what I do with it, don't use it. If I ever mod, it'll be a mod like BTW from flower. My rules, for my Minecraft. I won't be hurting any users, because honestly I'm the only person I'm designing if for. If I take your input when designing my mod, that's fine but its still my mod. The only time anyone else gets to any claim to my mod is if I use their code and then its our mod not yours. So if you honestly have this much of a problem with someone else's mod, please feel free to run Minecraft without it, last I checked its still stable enough to run without modification.

(For those of you that still think you have any claim to what a mod does just because you use it.)
    If you walk on to my yard, do you get to say what I do in it? No, even though you're using the same yard as me, its still my yard so I can use and do with it whatever I want. Take your complaints to the police about my "no trespassing" sign, and they will laugh. Remove the "no trespassing" sign does nothing to help you, I still said you weren't allowed in my yard without my permission.

I've been thinking of getting into modding for quite some time, and besides a few select mod authors like Al and his team, Azanor, and Spacetoad (or as I like to call them, the Forge Crew) the only thing that goes in my mod is what I want. The funny point in all of that is that none of them will have much to say about my mod, they're too busy making their own.

I've been thinking of getting into modding for quite some time, and besides a few select mod authors like Al and his team, Azanor, and Spacetoad (or as I like to call them, the Forge Crew) the only thing that goes in my mod is what I want. The funny point in all of that is that none of them will have much to say about my mod, they're too busy making their own.

A couple of things...

1. Neither Al, Azanor, nor Spacetoad have a direct hand in Forge development currently. Spacetoad actually gave Buildcraft to Krapt and Sengir, and they respect Toad's wishes to leave the mod open sourced. If you need to contact someone about Forge, try either LexMatos or cpw over at the Minecraft Forge site. (Currently down at the time of this post, oddly enough)

2. If you are going to make a mod, take Pahimar's advice and make something YOU want to play. DON'T rely on ANYBODY's input to help you with coding, or help continuing your mod. You may make something people hate, or find that your Java background is inadequate. Code something you like, and learn how it works. You will be happy that you did...

• I appreciate the forge team, I really do, but I was referring to the mod authors that use forge. I only used a few mods before forge came along and made it where if I wanted to change mods quickly I could and if I wanted more than 1 they generally worked together or atleast didn't interfere. Forge mods are what made me want to start modding, because before that, it was 1 mod or a whole lot of headaches trying to get the to work properly.