[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• Looks like you've found what happens when you use an outdated reactorplanner to test reactor designs in an updated IC2!

I remember that reactor cooling systems got buffed by a factor of two a while back; it looks like you've found a design that makes use of this.
    Also note that the component vents in the upper corners of your design are doing nothing at all- they can only vent heat from adjacent components that store heat, which uranium cells don't. You can just remove them, and the behavior of the reactor won't change.

If your reactor is in fact stable, then it's a Mark 1. Be hesitant about believing anything that the reactorplanner says when you're using IC2 Experimental.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• I was searching in the pages and i found this reactor...
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…misohrg5twy0lvrik4pqlunls

i like it becouse it uses the most of my uranium and i don´t have a lot.
    i was playing with it around in the designer and notice it waste a lot of material and make some changes.
    This is my final product atm.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…vlxarxor5fwxm17vhcznvzxmo

Its something bad about my desing or its better?
    Is there any better for a quad uranium?

• Guys, maybe I'm re-inventing a bicycle here, but…

I was looking for information on different reactor comparison, to easily choose "best one", but couldn't find any, so I made one myself.
    And then though why not share it - if it was useful for me, it might be useful for someone else.

Reactor design & cost comparison

Note: not all resources are listed in reactor/component prices, only significant ones.

• Depends on what you mean by "better". If you want to make the most out of your uranium, and don't care about burning lots of other resources, then what you've come up with is as good as anything I've seen. However, neutronreflectors are a huge trap because they burn up after every cycle, and are quite expensive to replace. If you use UUM to replace them, your effective efficiency will drop a lot. Before IC2e, it would probably drop from 7 about 3; in IC2e, it might make your rector entirely unsustainable.

If you're OK burning lots of tin, copper, and whatever else form other sources or crafting unbreakable Iridium Neutronreflectors from GregTech, that's fine. But normal or thick reflectors are usually a waste of resources.

CRCS, while dangerous and tricky to automate, can get an efficiency of almost 6.0 while also producing ludicrous amounts of power, as opposed to your mere 140 EU/t.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• :thumbup:
    Pretty awesome comparison setup, its been helpful.
    Ive got one question though, what does the column "magic" mean?

I'm scatterbrained, i work well alone and i don't, i always have some grandiose, huge project to build in minecraft that i NEVER finish (to this date i have NEVER finished an entire project on a world)
    I constantly bite off more than i can chew with a new project, change my mind, change the idea ... tear it all down and start again! (the core of the project remains the same) or the pack stops updating!
    Captain Tyriael_Soban - XO, Sanctuary Project.

• I guess it is an indication for how efficient a setup with mass fabricator for uranium production would be.

Well… It's called "magic" because I didn't wanted to spoil the fun too much, but… click the spoiler on your own risk. OP fun killer inside. :/

• PS. Feel free to add any other reactors not included in list - I usually don't have much time to search and update the table. So if you see any reactor not listed there - add it, please. Anyone can edit the table.
    Thanks! Other people will be grateful too, I guess. ;)

• Im using this desing http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…4j2wm5420w0ne8cgfo9hedxc0
    Can someone improve the effective EU/t output?
    if someone could take it up to effective 288 EU/t it would be much aprpeciated.

It's perhaps easier- and always safer- to make a Mark 1 reactor instead of a Mark 3 with comparable average EU/t. Mark 2s and higher (with the exception of CRCS-automated mark 5s, which are for the experienced and slightly insane) are better for producing EU in short bursts.

The second Full-Size reactor in the OP (300 EU/t out of a bunch of dual cells) should fit your bill nicely. At least in MC 1.5.2 or earlier... in IC2e, this reactor (like any reactor designed for pre-experimental IC2) might not work right.

• Hello. Please take a look at my designs.

Beginner Reactors

1) 0-cell reactor, 60 EU/t, 4 single uranium cells , efficiency 3 (better than Rick’s “Beginner Reactor 2“ ?)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…47srko7mvtwiskbd081d9dz40

2) 1-cell reactor, 60 EU/t, 4 single uranium cells, efficiency 3 (gold free)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…b8zn45bfbrlan0rtujtqrp05c

Small but Powerful
    (pricy and not so efficient, but easy to automate):

3) 0-cell reactor, 100 EU/t, 3 double uranium cells, efficiency 3.33 (no one can beat Zombie’s 0-cell reactor design, but at least I tried):

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…fypar2q0p1q2buywa0ff0sq9s

4) 1-cell reactor, 180 EU/t, 3 quad uranium cells, efficiency 3:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…hu16e2kn7ir5a4h04p3t4lq80

5) 2-cell reactor, 240 EU/t, 4 quad uranium cells, efficiency 3:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…5du5ux0luohndsb4go1eqgbgg

• Been to long since i made some reactors!

I liked the basic concept for The full scale high power high cost reactor by SSD so i wanted to make a few smaller scale versions. I'le see if i can make a few more of the same kind

5 chamber
    efficiency 3
    quad cells: 6
    output: 360 eu/tick

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…90srqy0cqb4cggj5kyqujuhog

4 chamber
    efficiency 3
    Quad cells: 5
    Output: 300

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…f4xucd3tyys9fl4ruaufjicqo

Tried making a few smaller ones however the design isn't well suited for tight spacing.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

Edited 4 times, last by Blackpalt ().

• I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but when I used the forum search, I didn't find a mention of it. I'd like to suggest a third category of reactors: plutonium generators. For those that want to generate a lot of plutonium stably, to convert either into MOX Nuclear Fuel or into Pellets of RTG Fuel, but are less concerned about efficiency and total energy output. Low cost in terms of other resources would be good, though.

As an example, here's a simple one I quickly came up with using the v3 reactor planner (but see also my question below):
    6 chamber
    efficiency 1
    27 uranium cells, none dual or quad
    output: 135 EU/t
    Resources (according to the reactor planner): 292 copper ingots, 18 tin ingots, 233 iron ingots, 27 uranium ingots, 7 rubber, 8 redstone dust, 2 glowstone dust, and 2 lapis lazuli.
    Resources (according to my own calculations, which I think are corrected for newer recipes): 304 iron ingots, 27 Enriched Uranium Nuclear Fuel, 30 tin ingots, 146 copper ingots, 72 lead ingots, 7 rubber, 8 redstone, 2 glowstone dust, and 2 lapis lazuli.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…p9pzbl4t5n7vrrqdszswat8u8

Also, I have a question after seeing this remark:

Looks like you've found what happens when you use an outdated reactorplanner to test reactor designs in an updated IC2!

Is there a newer reactor planner we can use? If not, maybe I can try to make my own version of it that works for recent builds of IC2 Experimental. Using NEI, I can easily determine the updated recipes for the components, but I don't know how to determine the correct numbers for how much heat is generated or dissipated by each component type. There was a mention that the cooling systems were buffed by a factor of 2 at some point, but details on the "official" IC2 wiki seem to match those used by the reactor planner. Is there an alternate wiki or at least a forum post that lists the up-to-date numbers? Or can somebody advise me on a way to find out in creative mode what the correct numbers are?

• I've started gathering numbers for making my own. The new gui shows the core temperature as a percentage, and I'm presuming that without any plating, 100% core temp = 10k heat. Other components seem to take 10 damage per non-dissipated heat, so I can use that for measuring things.

• Official Post

Uranium Cells last twice as long now - 20000 seconds instead of 10000.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• playing with the setup last night and i could get the level needed i
    think.. it would be risky since you can't get more distilled water in I
    think.. so the boiler could overheat easily..

4 thermal heat surround the steam boiler..

kenetic machines with turbines right after with a condensator at the end.

kenetic
    machines and condinsator have fluid upgrades but make sure you change
    them to have a "side" to go to ( hold the upgrade and right click it on
    the side of a block where you want it to go ( north south east west up
    down)

with the condensator running I was able to get a test
    system up to 205 heat 1 mb/t and 230 presure to get superheated steam ( 3
    liquid exchangers) this was unstable for a nuke since i don't know of a
    config that gives a XX5 output ( IE if it was 405 output stable then i
    could have 2 sterling and output them seperatly )

if anyone know
    of a stable non fluctuating system that has a mark 1 XX5 output it
    could work with 3 liquid exchangers and superheated steam giving a space
    to put in new distilled water for safer running

( cross posting this to the nuke thread /mox thread as well)

first pic is the boiler settings

second pic has 3 thermal generators just with creative hot cooling fluid cans placed in them.

• Official Post

230 presure to get superheated steam

Bad bad bad. Use 220 so you only need 200hU per 1mb/t of water.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

It ticks down once every 2 seconds, instead of every 1 second as it used to. I actually wasted just over 5 and a half hours to test it :P

I see this too much.