Industrial Nether Portal

• Vanilla nether portal is broken. the main reason for this is because it has 2 blocks that you can technically use to teleport. the left side can lead to a completely different portal than the right, and it gets ugly from there.
    before you know it, you have 20 nether portals in a single chunk and they all lead somewhere else from the nether. you become ghast bait.

so why not have an industrial block similar to the teleporter that can be used to go to the nether? use a different (1 to 1) mechanic to teleport to and from the nether.

this is more a play-ability fix than anything else.

---possible ideas---
    just a piece of obsidian with a chip to craft it.
    a button on the block to operate.
    still have to build the frame, but each block in the frame takes you somewhere else in the nether, leaving an obsidian block with a button for the return trip.

of course the current teleporter could be reconfigured to be able to go different dimensions and solve the problem that way aswell.

Actually, the side you enter through has no bearing whatsoever on where you come out. What you're describing is a multidimensional teleporter. A nether portal is completely stable and does not ( as you seem to believe) send you random locations in the nether.

• it is very glitchy in SMP. i currently have 7 portal frames in the overworld and 14 portal frames nether because of the compression glitch. many of these portals are on top of one another or protruding from each other, and they lead somewhere different every time. they also like to go out as soon as they are used, or end up shot by ghast and won't relight. players on the server are fed up with it and are asking me for a fix, but the best i can do is destroy all the frames and declare only 1 nether portal allowed on the server as the only solution.

i'm suggesting an alternative to the nether portal for dimensional travel.

• Official Post

Make it higly-energy-consuming and I'll be fine. And quite expensive btw. Not just a book.

Portable Gregtech Teleporter? Requires you keep the Dragon egg inside its internal inventory ;p

• Official Post

NO. Btw, we're gonna steal you that. Such an insult can't just be ignored.

ALL THE EGGS ARE MINE MWUAHAHAH
    oh and bubba/unknown's but they are as important

• i build my own server. i use denpipes (w/denlib), buildcraft, ic2, nuclear control, forestry and railcraft. i have had the same problem on vanilla aswell.

• I is still true, however, that nether portals can be troublesome and are not very industrial-friendly, especially if you have a lot of cross-dimensional machinery. It's better now that we can throw through items and mobs, but it's still quite involved to use them for advanced industrial purposes. There are alternatives, but few of them in vanilla or Ic2, and a huge mod like this shouldn't depend on others for such basic functions. It's an interesting subject and should be looked into.

• I read it and I saw myself.
    Well, little bit time ago i confígure wierd, but functional options. Pretty known I think. Break portals. Make anywhere other, got to nether and left yourself to die there. Normally you spawn in OW, but instead of multi-portals you recieved this portal be connected exactly to that one you build in overworld, doesn't matter if you build 20 blocks away another, but I recommended you build another more then 100 blocks away, because nether is still 8x OW ;)

For me functional on SMP / SSP :) Try it :)

public void getForumUserData(Signature signature, User user) { if(user.equalsTo("Cass") && user.isOnline() { Forum.Out.println("signature")})return;}

• I read it and I saw myself.
    Well, little bit time ago i confígure wierd, but functional options. Pretty known I think. Break portals. Make anywhere other, got to nether and left yourself to die there. Normally you spawn in OW, but instead of multi-portals you recieved this portal be connected exactly to that one you build in overworld, doesn't matter if you build 20 blocks away another, but I recommended you build another more then 100 blocks away, because nether is still 8x OW

For me functional on SMP / SSP Try it

Try not to necropost, especially on threads that are three months or older.

Plus, nether portals are getting a rework in 1.7 (They can have different shapes now).

• What about that you can send power throught the industrial nether portal aswell? so you can send power to your nether base from your main base.