"Early" reactors

• It seems like most reactor designs posted so far are with the full 6 chambers. Thing is, chambers aren't exactly cheap. If you are like me, you build one reactor with no chambers as soon as you can and then expand later. So I began to wonder: has anyone come up with a good 0-chamber design? Since the main reason for 0-chamber is saving on material costs, internal parts used should also be a consideration, and uranium efficiency is probably more important than net output over time. A good breeder design is also important for saving on uranium. I'm working on checking the effectiveness of my breeder, but if anyone else has designs you should post them!

• Official Post

You want an efficient cheap reactor with no additional chambers, or a good breeder? Sorry but I just don't see that happening. any efficient design is going to have to spend so long turned off to cool with 1 chamber it would be better to just build solar panels until you can afford a full reactor.

• You can use this one. It is Mk.I B

Water cooling, Efficiency 2, output 20 eu/t. Heat balance -12!
    So, you can add uranium cells to the empty spaces to increase the output to 30 eu/t And the heat balance will be +/-0. But it is not very efficienn (Efficiency 1.5)

Cutiemark crusaders - engineers, Yay!
    Blown up: Industrial Blast Furnace, Industrial Wiremill, Singularity compressor, Extractor.

• Miscalculated. With two additional cells heat balance would be +/- 0, not -4, because you cannot surround these cells with four other elements. it still be Mk.I ^__^

Blown up: Industrial Blast Furnace, Industrial Wiremill, Singularity compressor, Extractor.

• No way. Three cells in a row will generate 48 h/t minimum.
    Outward cooling - max 26h/t. (you have to attach a cable to the reactor, so, 25 water blocks + 1 (reactor itself)) And you will have only 15 available slots in the reactor grid. So, you can put no more than 15 coolant cells (even less, because you need a way to distribute the heat between those coolants), so inward cooling less than 15 h/t, and you will have more than 7 extra heat per tick.

• You want an efficient cheap reactor with no additional chambers, or a good breeder? Sorry but I just don't see that happening. any efficient design is going to have to spend so long turned off to cool with 1 chamber it would be better to just build solar panels until you can afford a full reactor.

I am talking relative efficiency. the cheapest reactor you could build would have 2 individual uranium surrounded by water. sure, that uses minimal resources ignoring uranium, but it has the worst possible efficiency. The design offered above is a good example of what I am talking about, but also note that a mk 2 is also acceptable, and if the cooling-heating ratio is close enough for an exceedingly simple redstone circuit to control on/off time, even mark 3. just don't let components melt. As for breeders, I haven't gotten a chance to fully test it or upload it but if my math is right its a 3 core breeder that you heat as a mark 4 and then run at ~6000 heat with redstone turning it on and off so the net heat by the time it finishes doesnt spawn lava.

• I am talking relative efficiency. the cheapest reactor you could build would have 2 individual uranium surrounded by water. sure, that uses minimal resources ignoring uranium, but it has the worst possible efficiency. The design offered above is a good example of what I am talking about, but also note that a mk 2 is also acceptable, and if the cooling-heating ratio is close enough for an exceedingly simple redstone circuit to control on/off time, even mark 3. just don't let components melt. As for breeders, I haven't gotten a chance to fully test it or upload it but if my math is right its a 3 core breeder that you heat as a mark 4 and then run at ~6000 heat with redstone turning it on and off so the net heat by the time it finishes doesnt spawn lava.

Breeder can be done efficiently with 2 extra chambers, no less:http://forum.industrial-craft.…read&postID=5044#post5044

Basically, lets talk about efficiency. It's more efficient to go gather the needed materials to increase your reactor chamber size than it is to try and breed with 0 chambers. Trust me, by the time you get it working and produce 1! uranium cell, you could have built several full reactors. That's because even at max efficiency (9k heat), it's still a very slow process to do. If you reduce that efficiency, it's even slower (think 6-12 minecraft days). You could spend a little time gathering materials to make a couple reactor chambers plus components, and still finish breeding cells before the first one. Likewise for energy production, think about the time it would take to make and set up a single reactor with all the needed components inside vs making 20 or so solar panels. Trust me, either you have/get the supplies to deck out a reactor, or it's just not worth the time.

All of that only matters if your only looking at efficiency. If it's about fun (and it should be), do what you want.

• It is possible to build more efficient reactors. Just use some redstone repeaters with inverting torch and connect this pulser to reactor. Then you may divide a heat production by 2. You may build even more complex redstone control schemes to build more efficient reactors by slowing down reaction process.

• It is possible to build more efficient reactors. Just use some redstone repeaters with inverting torch and connect this pulser to reactor. Then you may divide a heat production by 2. You may build even more complex redstone control schemes to build more efficient reactors by slowing down reaction process.

It would be impossible to set up a timed pulse like that with a breeder running at a high heat. You would have trouble synchronizing your pulses with the reactor ticks to get a balanced heat oscillation that doesn't climb or dive. Once Alblaka puts in controllers, then it would be safe, but right now I wouldn't trust it. Plus, efficiency is only part of the equation. Time is also a factor. So by pulsing like that, your effectively cutting your production in half as well. Either you will be producing half the energy, or your breeding will take twice as long. Not a good trade off.

• you can use the RedPower ^__^
    Simple circuit with two timers and latch can alternate the periods of producing electricity and cooling, which you can tune as you wish ^_~

• @Above
    aka a waste of time I have given up on the whole concept of breeding as a waste of time I would rather use my uranium efficiently (2 or higher)

• yes i agree with Gorni that reactor is cute
    but yes as below just said I would rather use a 2 chamber 2.5 efficiency reactor

• Mk-I-O EC Reactor, water cooling, 0 chambers, only 2 expensive HD plating (4 with that 2 in reactor itself, 6 Adv circuits in total).
    20 Eu/t, so can be used as somehow mobile base for miner(s), or good starter powerplant.

Link

UPD: Heat balance should be -3.4 instead of -7.4 in link, thats because of 4 blocks in sphere can't be filled with water (1 for wiring, 1 for solid block above redstone wiring, 1 for below and wiring itself).

• you can use the RedPower ^__^
    Simple circuit with two timers and latch can alternate the periods of producing electricity and cooling, which you can tune as you wish ^_~

As i have begun to use redpower I understand what you are talking about but I have been unable to make a working example could you please give me a screenshot of such a working setup I have a good reactor design for a 2000 ON 4600 OFF cycle but I just cant figure out how to make that circuit