Bored? Random IC2/Forum chat

It was the Residual Current Device (that big thing that was burned in one of the holes) that was defect and a mistake on the wiring.
    It failed to cut the energy, alongside the two cables shown on the picture being "misconnected" (the two cables were actually on that same burned hole, instead of being separated), according to the electrician. The Residual Current Device, that metal thingy that was also burned which name i don't know and the two wires got replaced. 190 bucks.

Yeah, it did look like it was a piece of shit. Of course, if you strip your wires a bit too much, some of the charge from the wiring will buildup heat and melt the outer casing. However, I don't think it would have melting the casing as quickly had the product been worth a crap...

We had cables in our house, with 240V running through them like all UK live wires do, that were insulated with JUST cloth essentially. We also had a light, with it connected using bell wire, which is low voltage cable designed for door bells. Definitely not lights.

8| How did your house NOT burn down?

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Official Post

Yeah, it did look like it was a piece of shit. Of course, if you strip your wires a bit too much, some of the charge from the wiring will buildup heat and melt the outer casing. However, I don't think it would have melting the casing as quickly had the product been worth a crap...

Well, at least it managed to last for about two weeks without catching fire as it was sloooooooowly melting away, giving no smoke, but a terrible smell due the molten plastic/rubber.
    The wires probably were stripped because the rubber melted.

Tomorrow when the electrician comes back (to see if there is anything else wrong, as it was "late" when he finished assembling back the fuse box), i will take another pic, if anyone wants to see it.

I just wonder how desastrous it would be if it had catch fire. I can imagine all the wires melting and "fusing" together, causing a generalized short circuit, burning every electronic thing that were plugged to the network.

And they said nuclear reactors are unsafe... Standing next to one is less dangerous than eating a banana.
    The potassium in bananas make them very slightly radioactive.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

They say the Fukishima leak is equivalent to 76 million bananas.

Well, you can get more radiation from living next to a coal-fueled powerplant aswell.

8| How did your house NOT burn down?

Even if the insulation were just cloth, it wouldn't burn as long it didnt overheat (as it did in my case) as it wouldn't reach temperatures high enough for self-combustion.

• And they said nuclear reactors are unsafe... Standing next to one is less dangerous than eating a banana.

Not to mention natural radioactivity oscillate between values that are like 10/50 times the measured increases of radioactivity from Nuclear PW Plants ... Average in France at HUNDRED METERS of a powerplant is: +0.1 mS ... which is nothing when you know the Colorado Plateau is at about 3 mS ...
    And when you know that smoking 40 cigarettes a week is as dangerous IN TERMS OF RADIOACTIVITY ONLY as staying 1 hour IN the fukushima reactor that exploded. Really, Nuclear is no dangerous, people are just scared by what they can't see ...

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• And they said nuclear reactors are unsafe... Standing next to one is less dangerous than eating a banana.

Banana for scale AND for radioactivity? Imgur's gonna have a fit.

• I'm asking this as a serious question, how many playable characters is too many in a fighting game like (for example) Super Smash Bros?

• I'm asking this as a serious question, how many playable characters is too many in a fighting game like (for example) Super Smash Bros?

Depends. If you play it casually, it doesn't really matter. But if you want to be competitive it shouldn't really be more than 32.

• Official Post

I'm asking this as a serious question, how many playable characters is too many in a fighting game like (for example) Super Smash Bros?

The more Characters the better. That way no one demands additional Characters.

Note: Every Character needs a unique ability, and you can run out of those abilities fast.

• The more Characters the better. That way no one demands additional Characters.

Note: Every Character needs a unique ability, and you can run out of those abilities fast.

So if I said that I was working on a game that has over 150 characters and there are planed features that would increase it to into the millions, what would you say?

Well, at least it managed to last for about two weeks without catching fire as it was sloooooooowly melting away, giving no smoke, but a terrible smell due the molten plastic/rubber.
    The wires probably were stripped because the rubber melted.

It's a common mistake to strip the wires a tad too much. One of the Hospitals where I live just finished a new expansion to it's facility not too long ago, and they have had a few outlet fires over this simple mistake. Course, when you've got a sub-contractor pulling any smuck off the street, these type of mistakes can crop up continuously from untrained labor

#HireUnionWorkers #IBEW #HigherPriceHigherQuality

I just wonder how desastrous it would be if it had catch fire. I can imagine all the wires melting and "fusing" together, causing a generalized short circuit, burning every electronic thing that were plugged to the network.

Yup, exactly. The resulting heat would have enough to take out the entire box, and possibly run the risk of burning your apartment down. Glad this was an easy catch though....

But it does look like that your electrician will have to rerun those wires in the panel. Idk if your apartment complex keeps building specs on hand, but the next thing will have to be to rerun those circults...

Even if the insulation were just cloth, it wouldn't burn as long it didnt overheat (as it did in my case) as it wouldn't reach temperatures high enough for self-combustion.

Well, he did say that it was in the UK, which is colder and rainy (from what I've heard). The satuation may be what the electricians were relying on to dispell heat off the wires, lol...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• Official Post

Well, he did say that it was in the UK, which is colder and rainy (from what I've heard). The satuation may be what the electricians were relying on to dispell heat off the wires, lol...

Incidentally the cable was outside, but the ends of it were inside, where all the cloth had rotted away from a hot, slightly damp contact. Not safe with 240V in a now uninsulated cable :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Incidentally the cable was outside, but the ends of it were inside, where all the cloth had rotted away from a hot, slightly damp contact. Not safe with 240V in a now uninsulated cable :P

Yup, that sounds pretty legit. You have to admit, thought, that's a pretty clever way to take advantage of your environment thought. But it doesn't surprise me that the design falls apart when inside the actual building, lol...

• Official Post

Before modding Minecraft, yours truly did weird things to operating systems and other computer stuff. Like this, not like you'll understand.

I feel like you should upgrade your OS

• Official Post

I feel like you should upgrade your OS

I expect that webpage crashed his computer, all the dogeness was much too great for his puny XP.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

I think Vista is actually having a few performance advantages over something.

Windows ME. Only one worse

I see this too much.