Fuses and Circuit Breakers

• I have always hated the way machines blow up though I like the concept. but I seam to be forever shorting my MV with my LV line then boom

so my idea was for early game Fuses and Late game Breakers

• 32 EU/t fuse - (2 Glass Pane, 2 Tin Item Casing, 1 Tin Cable)
    • 128 EU/t fuse - (2 Glass Pane, 2 Copper Item Casing, 1 Copper Cable)
    • 512 EU/t fuse - (2 Glass Pane, 2 Gold Item Casing, 1 Gold Cable)
    • 2048 EU/t fuse - (2 Glass Pane, 2 Iron Item Casing, 1 Iron Cable)

• 32 EU/t Breaker - (1 Lever, 4 Item Casing, 2 Tin Cable, 32 EU/t Electromagnet, 1 Advanced Circuit)
    • 128 EU/t Breaker - (1 Lever, 4 Item Casing, 2 Copper Cable, 128 EU/t Electromagnet, 1 Advanced Circuit)
    • 512 EU/t Breaker - (1 Lever, 4 Item Casing, 2 Gold Cable, 512 EU/t Electromagnet, 1 Advanced Circuit)
    • 2048 EU/t Breaker - (1 Lever, 4 Item Casing, 2 Iron Cable, 2048 EU/t Electromagnet, 1 Advanced Circuit)

• 32 EU/t Electromagnet - (8 Tin Cable, 1 Tin Plate)
    • 128 EU/t Electromagnet - (8 Copper Cable, 1 Copper Plate)
    • 512 EU/t Electromagnet - (8 Gold Cable, 1 Gold Plate)
    • 2048 EU/t Electromagnet - (8 Iron Cable, 1 Iron Plate)

Something like that no if you put a 128EU/t Fuse/Breaker in to a 32EU/t machine = boom

something to think about. Recipes are just an idea willing to change the to make better

Thanks Love the mod

• I would love to see this implemented as well. I am going to go ahead and expound on how actual mechanics could/should work.

Fuses

Act as an upgrade (like transformer or overclocker) when a machine would normally be overloaded, the fuse instead is overloaded replacing the Fuse Upgrade with a Blown Fuse Upgrade that prevents the machine from running until it is removed. Note that if a blown fuse is removed while the machine is still connected to overloaded power, the machine blows instantly (always disconnect your machine when replacing fuses). In the real world, different fuses can handle different amounts of current before they blow, IC2 could go either way: it could have one simple fuse upgrade that works for any machine and blocks any unsafe current, or it could have rated fuses that blow if EU exceeds its rating, meaning that if you have a 128 EU fuse in a machine that can only handle 32 EU, the Fuse is basically worthless. Likewise if you have a 32 EU fuse in a machine rated for 128 EU the fuse would blow even though the machine was receiving a safe voltage.

Breakers

Blocks, similar to transformers, has two ratings: allowed EU/t and maximum EU/t. If the circuit breaker receives EU greater than its maximum, it explodes like any machine (maybe these could have transformer and fuse upgrades as well, for extra redundancy?). If the circuit breaker receives EU less than its maximum, but greater than its allowed, the lever toggles and current is no longer allowed through until the lever is toggled again. Current less than or equal to allowed EU passes through harmlessly (perhaps with some loss factor?).

Electromagnet

No idea what he was going for here.

• Fuses will be sort of implemented into the game when cable behavior has been finalized.

The breakers are much needed though.

• Breakers I see a good use for, but why item upgrade based fuses? If I am going to take the extra time to make a fuse for each machine, why don't I just make transformer upgrades?

• OH! And surge detectors! They detect if something on the line is "surging" power and going to explode, and shut the power before it does...

• OH! And surge detectors! They detect if something on the line is "surging" power and going to explode, and shut the power before it does...

Aren't surge detectors basically circuit breakers?

• Aren't surge detectors basically circuit breakers?

Depends on how they're implemented...

If you implement it so breakers had a certain power rating (MV, for example) and tripped whenever power exceeded that rating, it wouldn't trip if you accidentally forgot to disconnect a basic machine block (like a macerator) before placing it down and giving it a transformer upgrade. A surge protector, as I described, would.

In that case, surge protectors should be fairly expensive, but are very useful to place coming directly off your power source. Breakers, however, would be best placed closer to your machines, like transformers are in the current iteration of Experimental...now that I think about it, other than the ability to "reset" it, transformers act a lot like the described fuses/breakers the OP wants...other than you have to be careful when rotating them.

• Breakers I see a good use for, but why item upgrade based fuses? If I am going to take the extra time to make a fuse for each machine, why don't I just make transformer upgrades?

To me it would be a matter of cheapness. A transformer costs 8 iron 4 gold cable and a circuit whereas a fuse should be incredibly simple, a single item casing and a single uninsulated wire of the appropriate tier, or something similar.

• I was thinking that the fuse and breaker could have its own slot that only they could occupy and the machine wouldn't function without them as an added for very early if you didn't wont to craft a fuse you could put a wire in there. there would be no protection offered the machine would operate.

Also the recipe for the fuse was tried to make cheep so it would be easy to make the breaker quite a bit more expensive as it is more od a permanent fix as it will trip and not need either repair of trashed and a new one made

the electromagnet is a component of the circuit breaker very similar to a coil could be used instead

• I don't see how that changes anything. Unless it's a PERMANENT removal it will be re-enabled at some point.

suggestion to remove enery tiers from game or atleast punishment for errors.

No, suggestion to allow for failsafes that have real-life analogs. If anything a circuit breaker is less useful than a transformer. With good planning and transformer placement you can obviate any need for a circuit breaker. The implementation of Circuit Breakers and Fuses, though, can allow for a player to decide between planning or using failsafes.

• "The implementation of Circuit Breakers and Fuses, though, can allow for a player to decide between planning or using failsafes."

Also, what's wrong with alternate methods/choices or even redundancy?

What if you are playing on a PvP server and someone decides to pump extra power into your E-Net and detonate all of your machines? A circuit breaker inside your base or fuses in your machines would help prevent that. Another thing, accidents do happen. Right click your transformer and forget you have a wrench in your hand? Boom everything goes.

Fuses are used in the real world because real world engineers see the benefits of failsafes. Same with circuit breakers.

• I love it too!
    BONUS:
    Add a Ground-Fault circuit breaker.
    That is, when you use Uninsulated Wires and you get a shock, it would trip avoiding being electrocuted.

Possible crafting:
    (nothing) :Cable: (nothing)
    (lever ) :LV-Transformer: (nothing)
    (nothing) :Cable: (nothing)

The Cable and the Transformer would need to be replaced with appropriate ones for the of the line to protect.
    This would permit cheaper wiring without sacrifying safety.