Random rants about aspects of game Balance and democracy

• And I need a form of power generation that is capable of forming more than 2 iron ingots. If I have all that, then yes: 2 hoppers are definitely affordable.

Charcoal + Generators. Easily doable with a Forestry multifarm. It's not really anybody else's fault that you're using lava for power gen instead of other far superior forms of power generation.

The difference is that for once I could just use other ways of smelting (like my own advanced furnace mod), or I could just quickly build like 8 furnaces to speed things up, because the material cost for a stone furnace is basically non-existent. I could theoretically build several metal formers, but the cost for one is not minor, I need to wire them, and they still drain ridiculous amounts of energy to work. If I had 4 metal formers, I'd be busy running back and forth fetching lava.

Then make an advanced metal former mod for another way of ingot forming? Or make green generators? You're not playing with GregTech, so solars/windmills are ultra cheap.

I'd love to, but for that I need resources, so in the beginning I just have to stare at them, waiting for them to complete. Especially if I have no chunk loader mod installed. You could even say that without other mods, IC2 in the experimental form is forcing you to stare at machines till they are done.

No you don't. Chop trees, build a house, do IC2 crops, set up a rubber plantation, or better yet mess with other mods you probably have installed. There are tons of things to do, especially in modded minecraft, so you don't really need to wait on IC2 machines for anything.

Beside that I don't really want to do excel spreadsheets to play a game, I don't even know what the resource costs are, because the CraftGuide support is still messed up.

Why do you still use CraftGuide? NEI does its job, and arguably 50 times better.

• Official Post

If you scroll all the way up you see:

It's not even right, the 1.6.2 version was v1.118 :P
    With IC2 experimental we're getting new things every week.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

It may have "Experimental" in its name, but IC2 Exp is currently the full version :p

• Official Post

It may have "Experimental" in its name, but IC2 Exp is currently the full version :p

It is time to bug someone (imer) to remove that one and bring IC² "experimental" to the official one.

Renaming it to IC² v2.0-XXX should be enough?

• While we're on the subject, why WERE the recipes changed? What did the dev team see "wrong" with the old recipes that was "fixed" with the new system?

EDIT: I ask because I too do not see this as being any sort of improvement, so I'm basically asking what the merits are of this system over the old one, because to me it looks like change for its own sake.

• Official Post

While we're on the subject, why WERE the recipes changed? What did the dev team see "wrong" with the old recipes that was "fixed" with the new system?

@Above like you used to force us to? :P
    They got rid of refined iron so plates was its replacement.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

That doesn't answer the question of "why?"

Plates are far more flexible:
    Refined iron = one option
    Plates = many options (different metals + casings)

I see this too much.

• Why do you still use CraftGuide? NEI does its job, and arguably 50 times better.

Just on this one, because your post was way above the maximum bullshit-level to be answered: Someone actively made CraftGuide incompatible to IC2. If there was no "support" for CG in IC2, it would work perfectly fine.

• Official Post

Someone actively made CraftGuide incompatible to IC2. If there was no "support" for CG in IC2, it would work perfectly fine.

Nope, IC2 uses it's own recipe handler. No support in IC2 = no recipes at all. It's simply because Craftguide wasn't the biggest thing they were worrying about when making experimental stuffs.

I see this too much.

• Yes Choco, I get HOW plates work, but what I'm asking is "why?", as in "Why the plate-crafting system at all?"

If it was strictly about "flexibility of materials" then why didn't the devs just use ingots? Clearly there was a reason for adding plates as opposed to just modifying the recipes to use more materials, and I'm just wondering what their train of thought was.

• Official Post

Then I got nothing. I saw it just as a more creative way to use ingots and make the recipes look fancier.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Sigh, let me copy my FTB forums post.
    "Well, the first thing was the removal of refined iron. It didn't make sense and its recipe collided with many mods, making them incompatible. When that got removed, something was needed to make the recipes unique and non-clashing again (The wire recipes also clashed with several mods). The addition of the hammer also allows for a cheaper material in crafting (For example, in RE batteries, Material cost was traded for a little bit of crafting time).

Although they cost for both the hammer and cutter 10 iron in total, it saves you both fuel from smelting refined iron AND saves you a ton of smelting time (Ignoring the metal former).

Besides, for those 5 iron per tool, they give you a huge amount of uses. Even then, its not like iron is expensive. (In vanilla at least, an hour of spelunking usually yields a few stacks of the ore, if my inventory can handle it)
    "

Besides, what looks sexier as a recipe for say, an RTG: 1 copper block and 1 iron block, or 4 Copper plates, A Machine Box and some conductive copper coils?

• Official Post

Besides, what looks sexier as a recipe for say, an RTG: 1 copper block and 1 iron block, or 4 Copper plates, A Machine Box and some conductive copper coils?

I was (at least partly) right then :P

I see this too much.

• Just on this one, because your post was way above the maximum bullshit-level to be answered: Someone actively made CraftGuide incompatible to IC2. If there was no "support" for CG in IC2, it would work perfectly fine.

Two things: You called my post bullshit without actually backing up your claim, and you also didn't answer my question of why you're using CraftGuide instead of the vastly superior NEI.

Not everyone is playing/enjoying the game exactly as you do, and that should be taken into account when designing this mod.

Edit: ROFL! This is my 1000 post. That's hilarious...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

Edited once, last by MagusUnion ().

• Nonotan: I neither need to answer your questions nor backup my personal opinion.

MagusUnion: you are vastly over-estimating the importance of IC2 in my life. I actually didn't even play it for over a year, just thought: why not give it another try, just to learn that some people massively and (imo) very badly changed it. So I am giving advice, but all I face is a single developer, who not only seems to be the only one left, but as well thinks of himself way too high, plus his fanboys. This is pretty close to the state IC2 was in about a year ago, just that there is no Alblaka left to fix it this time.

Just seeing how many people actually participated in this discussion, tells me in which state the mod is: claimed by someone who just stepped into way too big shoes, but fails to admit it, yet has a bunch of people, ready to bark at anyone who disagrees. It will effectively kill IC2 eventually, if that false illusion of everything being just fine isn't corrected soon. Currently the mod is lacking development, it lacks a concept and it lacks a vision, and the details are designed for a very small minority, which effectively excludes many players who previously enjoyed IC2. And without an audience, the interest to continue this mod will as well fade away eventually, causing it to die from the very same path, that caused death to many other projects before, and most likely many projects in the future.

The problem with life-experience however is that everyone needs to make his own, so no matter what I say or how much of it, you'll either listen in the first place, because you have learned the lesson to listen already, or you never will. As we are on page 6 with no relevant progress, I assume it will be the later. So go forth, do your thing, and either prove me wrong, or - should I be right - learn from it.

• MagusUnion: you are vastly over-estimating the importance of IC2 in my life.

You are the one doing the bitching, thinking it's going to get you somewhere...

I actually didn't even play it for over a year, just thought: why not give it another try, just to learn that some people massively and (imo) very badly changed it. So I am giving advice, but all I face is a single developer, who not only seems to be the only one left, but as well thinks of himself way too high, plus his fanboys. This is pretty close to the state IC2 was in about a year ago, just that there is no Alblaka left to fix it this time.

I think you fail to realize that RichardG kept IC2 afloat for quite a long stretch of time. Alba has been gone for MONTHS now, and probably doesn't have much intention on coming back. If I had to guess why, it's probably because of what you are doing now: believing that "you" know what's best for the mod, and that the dev. team should take your advice "or else". To be honest, this isn't a business venture, nor are you a stock broker or an analyst. As much as you want to believe that you helping, the truth of the matter is that you aren't.

Just seeing how many people actually participated in this discussion, tells me in which state the mod is: claimed by someone who just stepped into way too big shoes, but fails to admit it, yet has a bunch of people, ready to bark at anyone who disagrees. It will effectively kill IC2 eventually, if that false illusion of everything being just fine isn't corrected soon. Currently the mod is lacking development, it lacks a concept and it lacks a vision, and the details are designed for a very small minority, which effectively excludes many players who previously enjoyed IC2. And without an audience, the interest to continue this mod will as well fade away eventually, causing it to die from the very same path, that caused death to many other projects before, and most likely many projects in the future.

Just because we don't adopt your vision of mod design does not mean that other people do not like what is currently in place. For example, that dreaded mod Better Than Wolves is still somewhat maintained, and its following is mostly confined within their forums. Does that mean that BTW is dead? Not necessary. It only means that it has a very small (and habitual ass-kissing) crowd that still plays the mod. Now, if you believe that a mod is "dead" or "alive" based on its stature of popularity, then yes, I'm sure IC2 would be dead in that case. But honestly, since NO ONE makes money off IC2 development (or at least, anymore), that's a rather moot point, and the mod has returned to being what all mods originally start as: a fun programming project for a video game that other people can also enjoy. No drama, no meta-game, no bullshit. Just a simple mod that you can add to Minecraft, clean and simple...

The problem with life-experience however is that everyone needs to make his own, so no matter what I say or how much of it, you'll either listen in the first place, because you have learned the lesson to listen already, or you never will. As we are on page 6 with no relevant progress, I assume it will be the later. So go forth, do your thing, and either prove me wrong, or - should I be right - learn from it.

Again, you HONESTLY think you can berate us to side with you. Seriously! That behavior is the EXACT reason why we AREN'T taking your advice. This mod doesn't have to "prove" anything to you. This mod doesn't "need" to be popular. Only YOU think it has to be. For what? For Modpacks? For Let's Plays? If you have some business where you "needed" IC2 to be famous or user friendly in order to make a profit, then it's your own damn fault for depending on something as volatile as a community creation for money. And if that's not the case, then what the hell is it? To feel "right'? To "get your way"?

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.