An IC Launcher?

• So, I don't know if it's been suggested before, or even tried.. but has anyone looked into an Industrialcraft launcher? based on how much we have on the forums for mods that either work really well together, or even depend on each other, what's stopping a launcher from being cobbled together?

Perhaps a few pre-made packs, with options to easily include other mods from the IC forums, and a master config file that's accessable from the launcher itself?

• I realize that Greg, It's how I run things now... but I had thoughts that it might be a nice way to set up a few pre-made mod sets, let people get a better chance of having the same mods to play together with more specifics to IC and tech mods.

• Anyone who is too lazy to download and drag-and-drop mods into a folder is probably not going to enjoy IC2.

For some reason, this is a surprisingly difficult task for some people. How they manage to use a computer in the first place is beyond me...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Anyone who is too lazy to download and drag-and-drop mods into a folder is probably not going to enjoy IC2.

It is not that the people are lazy. It is both because:
    1. Moving files every release becomes kinda monotonous
    2. When the user installs tons of mods, it is difficult to keep up with them all.
    Having a launcher of sorts fixes both of these issues, because the user no longer has to download/move tons of stuff to update their mods, and the launcher would automatically notify the user if there is a conflict (incompatibility) between mods, possibly even before they chose to add those mods to their pack.
    FTB can not do this, nor does it have a "list" of mods that can be chosen from when building a pack. Creating a better launcher, would be better.

• The big problem would be that hardly 2 people have the same mod-set. So either everyone would be pissed because their personal must-have mod is not included or the launcher really does just copy the IC2 mod file to the correct directory, which would be such a minor task, that writing a launcher for that would be total overkill.

I don't think this is reasonable with only a hand-full of people (compared to everyone who plays MC) actually playing IC2.

• You can zip and share config. files with no legal issues what-so-ever. You can have people simply copy the config settings this way for server owners, and if they are listing mod downloads like they should, it should not be a difficult task to drag and drop an additional folder of .txt files into their Minecraft folder...

Of course, though, you can't exactly control the laziness of others...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I'm using FTB, and I have enough crashes and misshapen just trying to use regular minecraft and installing the 64 bit java on my 64 bit system, and I'm not sure I'm that much of a retard to be inconsiderable as an IC2 user.

On a general note, the folders and files madness is something that doesn't require that much brainpower as knowing where things are and what do they do- something anyone not familiar with the working of the computer system i.e. anyone who's like me and who's not a programmer, become immediately disoriented.

• I'm using FTB, and I have enough crashes and mishappens just trying to get a 64 bit java on a 64 bit computer, and i don't thing i'm that much of a retard. Also, folder and file maddness is something that requires knowing where things are and what do they do- something anyone not familiar with how files and folders are organized and operate, i.e. anyone who's like me and who's not a programmer, can't do properly.

• Official Post

I could write a batch or VBS code to do it, although I doubt people would Trust it because you can do some really fun stuff to fuck with people using both of those. Plus, I am a lazy bastard so meh

• Official Post

A. Trust it because you can do some really fun stuff to fuck with people using both of those

Can't see anyone not checking what the dodge code you'd sent them before running it :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.