EU-System in IC2 Experimental

• I have a question of the EU-System of the IC2 experimental release.

In older versions of ic, it was possible to place 2 mfsu parallel on a glass fiber cable with 512eu\t.
    Is it the same in the experimental ic or must I use a cable with min 1024eu\t or more?

Thanks a lot for helpig .

PS: My version is Build #355 (07.01.2014 15:32:39)

• Okay, my example was bad ;)

Other example.

If I want to use 33 solar panals with tin cable (32eu), is it possible. In older versions it was, because the package size was one. But now? Must I add 1 + 1 + 1 ..... = 33 eu = copper cable 128eu, or is it the same like 33x1eu = tin?

I hope the new exampe is better then the old!

Thanks

• Official Post

Yes, now 33 solar panels produces 33EU/t so you need copper, while before it would have been 33 1EU packets.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Okay, thanks a lot ;)

I will change my cables now!
    But a last quesion, a batbox charged with 33solarpanals will break it? Or can I charge with any power?!

(I really really like the new system, it's more real)

• Official Post

Right now no IC2 machine will explode with too high EU into it and all cables can carry all voltages, but that is only temporary until the E-net is finished/more stable. When it is, machines (including the bat-box) will explode with too much EU input like before.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• My question is somewhat related:

I cannot find anywhere that tells me the resistance of different cables. I was wondering if anybody had some exact values on how cables work etc? So much has changed now, I find it hard to keep track.

• Official Post

No loss of EU in cables, so a cable will lose no EU at all, no matter its length. They can also take any amount of EU, as that's currently broken too.

I see this too much.

• I want to power four machines that consume 128 EU/t each.
    With the older versions of IC2 that was no problem. I just connected them all parallel to a 128 EU/p output that delivered enough packets per tick.
    Now I'm not sure if it is possible anymore to connect all engines together to a proper EU/t output and if it is how to do it.
    Any hints are appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!

• I'm not sure I understand your problem.
    Can you be a bit more precise? (like put a drawing or something like that).
    (If you are precise enough, I'll answer tomorrow).

• You can hook them up in parallel to an MV transformer or hook them up in series to a 512 power source BUT you need to make sure they each have transformer upgrades in them so that they don't explode from the 512 line. The transformer upgrade will ensure that they can handle 512, but they will still only use 128 each.

• No loss of EU in cables, so a cable will lose no EU at all, no matter its length. They can also take any amount of EU, as that's currently broken too.

So it works like the old system basically, but with no loss over distance? Or are you saying I can even put HV through a copper cable now? I thought id read some people saying they blew up a bunch of machines by trying to run 10 generators through a copper cable or something like that, are you saying thats not how it works at the moment?

• You can hook them up in parallel to an MV transformer or hook them up in series to a 512 power source BUT you need to make sure they each have transformer upgrades in them so that they don't explode from the 512 line. The transformer upgrade will ensure that they can handle 512, but they will still only use 128 each.

Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for.

Another question about the transformers: How do they work now? Are they acting still like in the beginning of the experimental builds? As I understood it they just drop the most (about 3/4) of the energy when they are converting from a higher tier to a lower tier.
    And how is it vice versa: Do they only send out a higher tier packet every four times they receive a lower tier packet?

• From what I understand they have a small internal buffer. So an MV Transformer has 512EU internal buffer and it transmits 128 EU/t. Every 4 ticks it asks for another 512EU from up the line. So basically transformers act like an incredibly tiny batbox.

• Official Post

So it works like the old system basically, but with no loss over distance? Or are you saying I can even put HV through a copper cable now? I thought id read some people saying they blew up a bunch of machines by trying to run 10 generators through a copper cable or something like that, are you saying thats not how it works at the moment?

No, IC2 machines and cables do not currently explode/fry at too high voltages. This means you could put HV through copper cables. Explosions will return once the E-net's ready for them. Gregtech machines still explode at too high voltages however.

I see this too much.

• I understood that in the future versions, the system will not be based on packets any longer. I think it will be based on the amount of EUs flowing through the cable (it is disabled for now though). So, if you have a power source of 10 EU/tick, you can only work three of them with a tin cable (limit=32EU).
    This system will be much more realistic than the old one, (and I do not understand why we had the old one before, and what was its aim (maybe it was a bit easier to program)).

• I understood that in the future versions, the system will not be based on packets any longer. I think it will be based on the amount of EUs flowing through the cable (it is disabled for now though). So, if you have a power source of 10 EU/tick, you can only work three of them with a tin cable (limit=32EU).
    This system will be much more realistic than the old one, (and I do not understand why we had the old one before, and what was its aim (maybe it was a bit easier to program)).

No, that is wrong. Voltage will come back, so you still can put as many solars as you want on a tin cable.

Voltage was temporarily removed to make way for E-Net optimizations.

The old one is actually the more realistic one.

• Official Post

No, that is wrong. Voltage will come back, so you still can put as many solars as you want on a tin cable.

That, but to the point it becomes unefficient. The more "packets" (higher current ?) a cable throughputs, the higher will be the overall loss.

• No, that is wrong. Voltage will come back, so you still can put as many solars as you want on a tin cable.

Voltage was temporarily removed to make way for E-Net optimizations.

The old one is actually the more realistic one.

I do not agree with you: for you, why does a cable melt?
    Normally, the electrons, as they cross the cable, encounter a resistance. This resistance makes them "waste" energy. So, the more electrons you have, the more energy will get wasted. And this energy is transformed into heat, which means that the cable gradually heats up and melts.
    So, we don't care if the electrons are grouped into groups of 128, or anything else. Each single electron will have an impact on the cable. That's why I think the "new" system would be more realistic.

And, when you think about it, the golden cables had a maximum EU-packet size of 128 EUs. What's the point of having some High voltage cables (1024 I think) that lose tons of EUs, when you can just downgrade the amount of EUs with a transformer?
    I never used High voltage cables: they had a poor efficiency, and I needed iron for other things.