[GregTech] How many X do I need to supply an Y? How many X does the creation of Y need? And more. (If I forget to manage things here, then please drop a PM to me about that forgotten Question)

• I am considering that, but I will start to produce aluminum soon, and want to keep the blast furnace running for the longest time possible.
    I tested the railcraft tank in creative, but to keep 3 basic steam turbines running after storing the steam, I would need more than 4 basic pumps cover on pipes to remove the steam from the tank on the needed rate, would be a weird setup.
    I have a little Thaumcraft golem tree farm + infernal furnace to get charcoal fast, but the problem is that the chop golem cover just a small area. Will try the lamp of growth tonight to speed the process.

• I usually build a macerator (or even two) the third thing in a new GT5 world, right after the boiler and the compressor.
    The trick is in the old IC2 recipes for making diamonds.
    Crafting 64 coal dust in a box with 8 flint in the centre makes 8 coal balls. After compressing they turn into 8 compressed coal balls.
    Crafting 8 compressed coal balls in a box with 1 brick block in the centre makes 1 coal chunk (this recipe is NOT shown in NEI).
    After compressing it turns into a shiny new industrial diamond.

Note that there exists a recipe for crafting coal chunks with coal balls and obsidian, that IS shown in NEI.

• Official Post

Crafting 8 compressed coal balls in a box with 1 brick block in the centre makes 1 coal chunk (this recipe is NOT shown in NEI).

They do show up if you enable the config. You can use an Iron Block instead too if you want.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Humm.. Are you sure you can compress coal chunks in a GT world? That would be with the config / crafts changed than.

Java script, which happens to be the language in which minecraft is coded

• Humm.. Are you sure you can compress coal chunks in a GT world? That would be with the config / crafts changed than.

How this topic started? Feels like Alex was explaining to someone, but I don't know to who; Wrong thread?
    Anywyas, yes, we can do that even on GT world, unchanged configs.
    The recipes are hidden on the shaped crafting (only the one using obsidian shows up), but they show in the assembler tab.

• Looking at alex's post, he said he could compress coal chunks into shiny diamonds, while being in a GT5 world. This recipe should be disabled, hence I asked why.

Java script, which happens to be the language in which minecraft is coded

• I just produced my first oil berry plant and I was wondering how many of those plants would be required to supply a distillation tower with oil. What stats would you recommend for those oil berry plants?
    The distillation tower needs 4 L/t of oil, that is 1 oil berry per 25 ticks.

• I just produced my first oil berry plant and I was wondering how many of those plants would be required to supply a distillation tower with oil. What stats would you recommend for those oil berry plants?
    The distillation tower needs 4 L/t of oil, that is 1 oil berry per 25 ticks.

Recommended stats for pretty much any IC2 or GT crop (except possibly Venomilia) are 21/31/any. Once you have about 9 or so Oilberries crops with stats around that amount, I suggest you run an IC2 crop harvester on them for about half an hour, and see how many oilberries you get. From there it should be possible to extrapolate an estimate of how many Oilberries crops you'll need.

• So here's a ridiculously complicated one.

How many LV centrifuges, assuming constant full-inventory loads of rotten flesh that never run out, would need to be running simultaneously in order to make enough methane to run a 512v gas turbine constantly?

I am completely serious about this.

Quoted from "zorn":
    People can't handle losing. Lots of new games are like this. My son's Lego games? You die and respawn on the spot, just lose a bit of money. It's made so that anyone can win, even the worst players. Like TE, or EU. They say that IC2 is 'keeping them from moving on' but can never say what that is. In reality they just failed, blew up a bunch of stuff, and their fragile egos couldn't take it so they gravitate towards mods designed to guarantee that you succeed.

• How many LV centrifuges, assuming constant full-inventory loads of rotten flesh that never run out, would need to be running simultaneously in order to make enough methane to run a 512v gas turbine constantly?

Assuming default efficiency (70% for an HV gas turbine), 1 cell worth of methane will give 31,500 EU (not sure where the different value listed in the wiki comes from), and thus run the gas turbine for about 61.5 ticks. That means it needs about 16.2 mB/t of methane to run constantly. A single LV centrifuge produces methane at an average of 1 mB every 4 ticks for most foods (the main difference is in how many food items are required, and foods that have byproducts take longer), so you'd need about 64.8 LV centrifuges.

• Official Post

Assuming default efficiency (70% for an HV gas turbine), 1 cell worth of methane will give 31,500 EU (not sure where the different value listed in the wiki comes from), and thus run the gas turbine for about 61.5 ticks. That means it needs about 16.2 mB/t of methane to run constantly. A single LV centrifuge produces methane at an average of 1 mB every 4 ticks for most foods (the main difference is in how many food items are required, and foods that have byproducts take longer), so you'd need about 64.8 LV centrifuges.

A small correction is that HV turbines don't consume the methane at a rate of 512 EU/t, but 512 + 8 = 520 EU/t (2^tier internal loss, remember that?) which is 60.6 ticks, increasing amount of methane per tick to 16.5 mB/t.
    How to obtain that methane is also simple math based on how much methane a LV centrifuge produce when centrifuging rotten flesh and the time to do so.

• A small correction is that HV turbines don't consume the methane at a rate of 512 EU/t, but 512 + 8 = 520 EU/t (2^tier internal loss, remember that?) which is 60.6 ticks, increasing amount of methane per tick to 16.5 mB/t.
    How to obtain that methane is also simple math based on how much methane a LV centrifuge produce when centrifuging rotten flesh and the time to do so.

Okay, I'll admit that I hadn't taken that into consideration, but now I'll go you one better: I actually tried in creative mode, and an HV gas turbine with 10 methane cells powering an adjacent MFE gives 305,152 EU, which means each cell only lasts 59.6 ticks average, so the amount of methane per tick needed is more like 16.8 mB/t (and maybe the table on the FTB wiki page for the gas turbine isn't as far off as I thought).

• How big should I built my forestry farm to supply one large boiler?

I've never measured the speed of Forestry multifarms at different sizes, but it might be easier for others to help you if you specify what kind of trees you plan to use (or if you plan to use a different farm configuration, such as a peat bog), and how you'll be processing the output of the farm (e.g. vanilla furnaces or Railcraft coke ovens).

• I've never measured the speed of Forestry multifarms at different sizes, but it might be easier for others to help you if you specify what kind of trees you plan to use (or if you plan to use a different farm configuration, such as a peat bog), and how you'll be processing the output of the farm (e.g. vanilla furnaces or Railcraft coke ovens).

Of course. I want to use oak woods and I´m processing the wood with railcrafts steam ovens.

• I finally got around to measuring this. Using a 21x21 diamond-shaped multifarm (so 252 farmland blocks), running it for 20 minutes (1 minecraft day cycle) produced 158 apples, 335 apple oak saplings, and 492 oak logs. That's about 48.8 ticks per log. Presuming you're only cooking the logs into charcoal, and not using creosote or Forestry biomass, you'll need 1 log every 20 ticks. Presuming also that the effective speed of a multifarm goes up linearly with the total number of farmland blocks, extrapolation indicates you'll need about 614.6 farmland blocks. A "Large" multifarm (3x5x4 farm blocks) allows 660 farmland blocks, so it might be good for that.

Edit: there's more variation in the output rate of a multifarm than I'd realized. With a large multifarm (660 farmland blocks), in one 20-minute run I got 874 logs, then a different 20-minute run gave 1039 logs. I think I'd have to measure the multifarm for at least 3 real-time hours to get a usable average (and repeat for different sizes and/or sapling types), and I'm not interested enough to bother with that.

• I finally got around to measuring this. Using a 21x21 diamond-shaped multifarm (so 252 farmland blocks), running it for 20 minutes (1 minecraft day cycle) produced 158 apples, 335 apple oak saplings, and 492 oak logs. That's about 48.8 ticks per log. Presuming you're only cooking the logs into charcoal, and not using creosote or Forestry biomass, you'll need 1 log every 20 ticks. Presuming also that the effective speed of a multifarm goes up linearly with the total number of farmland blocks, extrapolation indicates you'll need about 614.6 farmland blocks. A "Large" multifarm (3x5x4 farm blocks) allows 660 farmland blocks, so it might be good for that.

Edit: there's more variation in the output rate of a multifarm than I'd realized. With a large multifarm (660 farmland blocks), in one 20-minute run I got 874 logs, then a different 20-minute run gave 1039 logs. I think I'd have to measure the multifarm for at least 3 real-time hours to get a usable average (and repeat for different sizes and/or sapling types), and I'm not interested enough to bother with that.

Thank you, I will try a large farm. And do biomass and creosote really provide much energy? I´m wondering if the creosote is worth building 90 coke ovens.

• And do biomass and creosote really provide much energy? I´m wondering if the creosote is worth building 90 coke ovens.

Probably not. Making the charcoal in coke ovens would only produce 18% extra energy for the boiler, which doesn't really justify building 77-80 coke ovens. If you got 7 saplings for every 10 oak logs (which is actually slightly higher than the ratio I had in my first test), that would produce 11% extra energy for the boiler, and would cost a fair amount of RF to ferment into biomass.