[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• 2. How are electric furnaces less efficient? A steam furnace uses 2048 L steam per item, while an electric furnace uses 512 EU per item (4 EU/t for 128 ticks), which at the default 66% efficiency for an LV steam turbine would take about 1552 L before considering cable losses, but I doubt the cable losses would push it up to 2048 L.

I've seen this 2048L quoted before but during recent testing it was observed that each wood -> charcoal operation takes 1024L of steam.

• I've seen this 2048L quoted before but during recent testing it was observed that each wood -> charcoal operation takes 1024L of steam.

My testing conflicts with that. Just now, I tried in creative mode with a lithium battery in a basic electric furnace, and one wood -> charcoal operation reduced the battery from 99274 EU to 98746 EU, which is a difference of 528 EU (fairly close to the predicted 512 EU). For the steam furnace, I set up a certus quartz tank (from Extra Cells, since I don't have BuildCraft installed atm) and added steam from some universal fluid cells, set up a pipe and LV pump to send it to the steam furnace. Once the steam level stabilized at 8600 mB in the tank, I put one birch wood (in case that makes a difference) in the furnace, and after it finished, the steam level in the tank was 6552 mB, a difference of exactly 2048 mB. How are you coming up with a figure of 1024L? Also, have you checked how much EU it takes in an electric furnace with your set of mods? (in case another mod or a config option is affecting the steam consumption of that recipe, and might also affect the EU consumption)

• I've

My testing conflicts with that. Just now, I tried in creative mode with a lithium battery in a basic electric furnace, and one wood -> charcoal operation reduced the battery from 99274 EU to 98746 EU, which is a difference of 528 EU (fairly close to the predicted 512 EU). For the steam furnace, I set up a certus quartz tank (from Extra Cells, since I don't have BuildCraft installed atm) and added steam from some universal fluid cells, set up a pipe and LV pump to send it to the steam furnace. Once the steam level stabilized at 8600 mB in the tank, I put one birch wood (in case that makes a difference) in the furnace, and after it finished, the steam level in the tank was 6552 mB, a difference of exactly 2048 mB. How are you coming up with a figure of 1024L? Also, have you checked how much EU it takes in an electric furnace with your set of mods? (in case another mod or a config option is affecting the steam consumption of that recipe, and might also affect the EU consumption)

My test was filling the internal buffer of the furnace with steam, removing all pipes from it, putting one piece of wood in it, and using the portable scanner to see how much steam was left in the buffer. I'll have to take another look tonight.

Oh how interesting. 6000 mB of steam shows up at " 3000 Steam" in the portable scanner. Idk if the scanner does some EU equivalency but it's pretty misleading.

• I notice some of the achievements still only trigger upon picking up the relevant item from the ground, even though the normal way of getting it would be as the output from a machine - for example, the "Better Circuits" achievement.

• Hello

Out of curiosity i can see GT5U have its own variants of thaumcraft ores (infused stones, cinnebar and amber)

But i cant seem to find them. Is it because i have turned on the standard Thaumcraft ones? And the GregTech one only generates if the "real" ores is disabled in the thaumcraft config?

Thank you

- Kehaan

• It is a strange but tested mechanic. GT Steam Machines (not Steam Turbines) void half of the steam that enters them.

And for some Helixforsaken reason that information isn't on the wiki even though I deliberately researched it FOR the wiki. What the hell.
    Edit: Fixed.

• The big question is if that is different from how it was in GT5.07.07?

GT internally calculates 2L steam as 1EU and steam machines work as if they use EU. So it might just a bug on the scanner side.

It's not a bug and it's not different, it's just something people tend to forget because it's a weird way of doing it.

• nanitozo's image (in post #1048 ) was using something other than the portable/debug scanner to show the steam amount (some addon for Waila/Wawla maybe?), so it seems more likely that the machine itself is misreporting how much steam it contains than it being a scanner bug.

It's not a bug and it's not different, it's just something people tend to forget because it's a weird way of doing it.

I have to disagree about whether it's a bug. It's not just a weird way of doing it, it makes no sense (especially since steam machines only vent steam after processing).

• Strange through it is, it's not a bug or a misreporting, it's an actual mechanic. When Steam enters a GT Steam Machine, half of it is deleted and the other half enters machine storage. That Steam is then consumed as if it was EU.

• Strange through it is, it's not a bug or a misreporting, it's an actual mechanic. When Steam enters a GT Steam Machine, half of it is deleted and the other half enters machine storage. That Steam is then consumed as if it was EU.

Sorry, I'm not following your logic there. Presence does not prove intent. If you can point me to a post that indicates that was done deliberately, I'll accept it as not a bug.

• Then according to NEI recipes 1 steam = 1 EU yes?

2Steam = 1EU just the 2:1 ratio is applied while inserting the steam into the machine.

Who can tell me what does this config mean? Where should i be looking for copper? Can't find on both heights for hours

The oregen config is quite complex but all explained here:http://ftb.gamepedia.com/GregTech_5/Mining_and_Processing

• Ah that makes sense.

Also while we're on the steam topic: I have a few questions that have bugged me for a while.

1. Are steam machines one way valves for steam? Put another way can a steam machines internal buffer output to adjacent pipes?

2. What happens at pipe intersections? How is the amount of liquid to go to the two or three adjacent pipes/machines calculated? How do pumps affect this? How about fluid in adjacent tanks?