[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• I am confused as hell, still, on how to build a fluid reactor and use it with a LHE. Does anyone have a good, detailed, picture-by-picture explaining guide to this?

Somebody tell Axle I'll probably provide a picture walkthrough this week. He doesn't see my messages.

Short version without pictures

• Create a reactor that supports 5x5 mode (produces heat output). See 5x5 reactor threads on this forum for this, there's lots of options. Thorium is fantastic.
    • The reactor produces Hot Coolant.
    • Feed Hot Coolant plus Distilled Water into the LHE
    • The LHE produces Steam (or SuperheatedSteam if you have enough Hot Coolant) and Cold Coolant
    • Feed the Cold Coolant back into the Reactor (closed loop)
    • Feed the Steam into your Turbines
    • The Turbines produce Distilled Water (or Steam) and Energy
    • Feed Distilled Water back into the LHE
    • Feed Steam into a second Turbine (whcih produces Distilled Water) (Closed Loop)
  • Dammit, fine, I'll try to test this tonight :p I can't watch the video atm: how many pipe segments do you want, and how many are shuttered?

Thanks Pyure! :thumbup:

Well, I didn't thought about how many, I assume if it it works with 2 or 3, it will work with 10 or 20, the number of pipes shouldn't affect the result. In any case, I think 10 is a good number;
    About shutters, every pipe needs one, except the last one (if you are using the "Allow output only" config). It's a pain, but is what we have...
    I would be extra grateful, if you test with one and two input hatches.

Ah, and thanks too, for the info about how the 125% optimal flow works. I was wasting steam and producing less EU, It seems...

• Thanks Pyure! :thumbup:

Well, I didn't thought about how many, I assume if it it works with 2 or 3, it will work with 10 or 20, the number of pipes shouldn't affect the result. In any case, I think 10 is a good number;
    About shutters, every pipe needs one, except the last one (if you are using the "Allow output only" config). It's a pain, but is what we have...
    I would be extra grateful, if you test with one and two input hatches.

Ah, and thanks too, for the info about how the 125% optimal flow works. I was wasting steam and producing less EU, It seems...

By shuttering every single segment, we're essentially removing the sloshing behaviour altogether :) You're right, in that scenario 3 is the same as 30.

I'd be more curious what happens if the pipes work "as intended", ie no shutters and relying only on computed pressure over time.

Honestly, the turbine has a neat mechanic where it obeys a sort of momentum: the output can't jump all over the place, it graduates up and down as fluid input changes. Given that, I would imagine GT pipes should do "OK" no matter what.

• By shuttering every single segment, we're essentially removing the sloshing behaviour altogether :) You're right, in that scenario 3 is the same as 30.

I'd be more curious what happens if the pipes work "as intended", ie no shutters and relying only on computed pressure over time.

Honestly, the turbine has a neat mechanic where it obeys a sort of momentum: the output can't jump all over the place, it graduates up and down as fluid input changes. Given that, I would imagine GT pipes should do "OK" no matter what.

I know that shuttering every segment should make it work, but I have "that" feeling, y'know? And yes, I would love if Greg pipes worked under pressure after it gets full.

I assume that each tick, it tries to empty it's content to next container available. I just have no idea on which order this is done.
    I mean, if first segment tries to output to second segment, but that one didn't tried to output to the third yet, then it would have to wait; After that, seconds outputs to third. But, as first segment already tried to output to second this tick, it will just wait, while second will remain empty?

And does my question made sense to you? :D

• I know that shuttering every segment should make it work, but I have "that" feeling, y'know? And yes, I would love if Greg pipes worked under pressure after it gets full.

I assume that each tick, it tries to empty it's content to next container available. I just have no idea on which order this is done.
    I mean, if first segment tries to output to second segment, but that one didn't tried to output to the third yet, then it would have to wait; After that, seconds outputs to third. But, as first segment already tried to output to second this tick, it will just wait, while second will remain empty?

And does my question made sense to you? :D

That's exactly my concern. I have no idea how they work, having never looked at the code, but since at some point they needed to be calculated in arbitrary order, it stands to reason that exactly what you just described is going to happen.

There are ways around this: you can store a hidden overflow on every pipe that creates increased pressure (this is what I'd do). You can store the list of pipe segments in a hash that gets resorted depending on which segments depend on which (ugh). Chances are, it just sloshes and we deal with it :)

• Yeah, that's my fear...
    I might have to use another mod's pipe, or an double sized section with the regulator, if it didn't works;
    Will wait your tests...

• That would explain why sometimes I scan pipes and they show half tank.
    Would be a way to avoid exactly what I described? Instead having a hidden buffer, they work at half listed efficiency capacity?
    If so, I will have to double my pipes. At least, would explain why my turbine seems to have such a low output...

Also, if what Spwnx said it true, Blood could consider to double the actual pipes capacity.
    A Large Steel Boiler produces 1200L/T steam, while a Huge steel pipe only can transport 480l/t ( (19200/20 ) /2).
    It would be needed 2 Steel Huge pipes and 1 Normal Steel Pipe one to keep with it, without loses. That's pretty expensive...

• I gotta imagine the tank of a pipe is twice the size as its listed throughput. Greg's not stupid :p

• I gotta imagine the tank of a pipe is twice the size as its listed throughput. Greg's not stupid :p

I would think that too, but the Scanner also shows exactly as it's listed. I am inclined to think that this was a mistake, or something that he really intended, and might have explained long ago, and, I at least I didn't saw or remember.
    He might had hidden that from the scanner as well, but wouldn't explain why my scanner sometimes reads a Huge stainless pipe at 28800/14400 capacity.

• I'll look into this. Just to clarify, you're actually trying to transform around 600 L/s lava into 20 L/s SHS correct?

Yes except I designed my system to consume 40 B/s of SHS and that's what the LHE produces when fed 610 mB/s of lava with a config 13 IC. I realized that this wasn't right while looking into making a fluid reactor LHE.

Also the IC efficiency change calculations, superheated steam threshold, and max allowed input of the LHE has a ratio of 4:1 between lava and hot coolant. It would seem than 8:1 would be a more appropriate ratio if lava produces that much.

• If I start filling an Ultimate Battery just right now: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 23:24:45 +0200
    ; At full UV Rate, I will win Minecraft exactly on: Sun, 02 Jun 29889 04:41:45 +0200

• If I start filling an Ultimate Battery just right now: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 23:24:45 +0200
    ; At full UV Rate, I will win Minecraft exactly on: Sun, 02 Jun 29889 04:41:45 +0200

You're thinking too small. As far as I'm aware there isn't a limit on the input current of battery buffers. If there isn't then you should be programming robots to mass produce fusion reactors.

• There is a limit rate which is 1A per battery and batteries (dis)charge at a rate of 1A aswell.

Maybe add some upgrade to change that later in the game hm?
    (double in/output current for example)

Ah you're right. Though I've noticed battery buffers can accept up to 1A more than the number of batteries they have. Maybe to charge the internal EU buffer idk. I've burned wires and drained sources faster then expected before I knew that.

Also anime conventions usually have a rave of some sort that is usually a lot of fun. You meet interesting fellow introverts afterwards and there's a core group of people that stay up all night. You should try it.

• does anyone now what or why I am getting these spaming my log multiple times a second? and BTW I don't have TC in my pacj and as far ass I know GT is the only mod that calls it.

[20:47:48] [Client thread/WARN] [FML]: [Thaumcraft API] Could not invoke thaumcraft.common.lib.crafting.ThaumcraftCraftingManager method getObjectTags

[20:51:47] [Thread-19/INFO] [STDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: java.lang.NullPointerException

• One thing I've wondered about for a while but have never tested:

let's say a recipe uses 4 EU/t. This is technically ULV. When running it on LV does it pull 16 EU/t and run twice as fast or does it do something more weird and pull 32 EU/t? That is to say: does overclocking always double the original recipe's EU/t requirement and not round to the voltage tier?

• That would explain why sometimes I scan pipes and they show half tank.
    Would be a way to avoid exactly what I described? Instead having a hidden buffer, they work at half listed efficiency capacity?
    If so, I will have to double my pipes. At least, would explain why my turbine seems to have such a low output...

Also, if what Spwnx said it true, Blood could consider to double the actual pipes capacity.
    A Large Steel Boiler produces 1200L/T steam, while a Huge steel pipe only can transport 480l/t ( (19200/20 ) /2).
    It would be needed 2 Steel Huge pipes and 1 Normal Steel Pipe one to keep with it, without loses. That's pretty expensive...

It's not meant to be cheap :D

I think the pipe flows are relatively balanced as they are now but my only qualm is that for really high end designs the upper limit per pipe is somewhat... limiting.

Maxing the output hatches on an LHE (5 I believe) and using all huge tungstensteel pipes (48 B/s) results in a max throughput of 240 B/s (wowzers). A 2 B/s lava LHE as it behaves now (which may be wrong) outputs 160 B/s of SHS. It's still possible to get all of the steam out but it requires 5 of the highest tier pipes. This isn't really an issue and requires high builds to have high end costs (and induce pipe routing nightmares).

• One thing I've wondered about for a while but have never tested:

let's say a recipe uses 4 EU/t. This is technically ULV. When running it on LV does it pull 16 EU/t and run twice as fast or does it do something more weird and pull 32 EU/t? That is to say: does overclocking always double the original recipe's EU/t requirement and not round to the voltage tier?

ULV isn't counted for recipes. I ran into that a few months ago when asking about centrifuging impure redstone, which takes the listed 34 seconds per operation in an LV centrifuge, despite being 5 EU/t. Also, several of the machines that are direct substitutes for IC2 machines use less than 8 EU/t at LV (e.g. compressor, extractor, electric furnace - listed here since NEI doesn't show voltages and timings for them) but aren't overclocked in an LV machine.