[GregTech-5][1.7.10-FORGE-1355+][Unofficial but approved Port][Stable] Even GT5 Experimental is slowly getting stable.

• annnnnnd... i think these videos i posted are outdated... to can't find the steam generator and boiler requires hatches ect that aren't in those videos... back to drawing board to figure this one out...

*edited* of course i was looking for the wrong thing... my fault... but... now to get started, i have PLENTY of bronze and such.... no clay... need clay, WTF to find clay, i'm in a plains / scrubland / jungle cross biome with PLENTY of water sources ALL over, not a single bed has clay... WTF?!?! if we have to go through this progression, at least let the materials required be available... this... this is where i get REALLY frustrated trying to do it legit.

go figure, i post this and suddenly, next stream bed i come across gives me about stacks of clay... *rolls eyes*... this randomness is absurd

and thus, thanks to other mods i have installed...i am already at bronze age... btw, for those making mod packs ect.. i HIGHLY recommend Treasure Chest mod + Marvel Universe... Already have gold and diamonds all legit through mods. You have to actually mine / kill things that GregTech doesn't interfere with. Treasure Chests give you "rare" items when you kill one of the mobs...it's random, REALLY random, but gold / diamonds are options, as well as iron. With Marvel, you get Titanium and Adamantium ore that spawn past Gregtech buffers, but when smelted turn INTO gregtech versions that can be used to make things like wrenches, hammers (until bronze age ect) to help out... past that, you can actually use said ore to make picks and such to actually mine with... which will make life MUCH easier... not complaining about this combo at ALL... not a fan of the time consuming tedium / nerfing. I want to build / create / make pretty things, but i do want SOME challenge / thought and automated processing as well as actual tech stuff. This... seems to be a close enough balance between the two for my tastes... not the route i'd have gone with it, but functional and acceptable.

• Just that you know it, you´re supposed to turn of all ore gen of other mods and generate the ores, that GT doesn´t generate by default, using the GT configs.

Also ... rly? you´re complaining about clay being to hard to obtain? Try to get some osmium 8)

• Actually, the tier of the pyrolyse oven is a little weird - even though the multiblock requires Kanthal coils like sprAngles mentioned, the recipe for the control block uses good circuits, MV pistons, and an MV pump. The recipes for making charcoal and coal coke (and creosote oil) in it require MV power, but you can make IC2 biomass in it using LV power, while making heavy oil from wood in it requires HV power.

Exactly - the Pyrolyse Oven is meant to be an MV machine as shown from its recipe. I mean to use it to improve my charcoal production over the 12 coke ovens + charcoal like igniter that I currently use that is still very manual, such that I can produce a more steady stream of MV amps. However, if it means that I have to craft a HV precision laser engraver, forming press, assembling machine and chemical reactor in order to craft the necessary infrastructure for to produce Kanthal, I find it rather extreme; I had to push my current steam setup to the limit to produce the energy and dig through the world for emeralds for the data control circuits. A Vacuum Freezer should be more advanced tech than a Pyrolyse Oven and should therefore be harder to manufacture, however I don't think it makes much sense for the former to be necessary to produce the latter. Just my two cents.

• Exactly - the Pyrolyse Oven is meant to be an MV machine as shown from its recipe. I mean to use it to improve my charcoal production over the 12 coke ovens + charcoal like igniter that I currently use that is still very manual, such that I can produce a more steady stream of MV amps. However, if it means that I have to craft a HV precision laser engraver, forming press, assembling machine and chemical reactor in order to craft the necessary infrastructure for to produce Kanthal, I find it rather extreme; I had to push my current steam setup to the limit to produce the energy and dig through the world for emeralds for the data control circuits. A Vacuum Freezer should be more advanced tech than a Pyrolyse Oven and should therefore be harder to manufacture, however I don't think it makes much sense for the former to be necessary to produce the latter. Just my two cents.

You make a good point there. And now I notice that the Oil Cracking Unit, which has a controller made with HV components, uses rings of cupronickel Coils. WTH? The other multiblock machines that can use kanthal coils, the EBF and the Multi Smelter, can use cupronickel and nichrome coils as alternatives, with changes in functionality (different heating capacities for the EBF, and different numbers of concurrent smelted items for the multi smelter), so maybe something similar could be done for the pyrolyse oven, e.g. allow biomass and simple charcoal production with cupronickel coils, but require kanthal to get the efficiency/speed increase from adding nitrogen, and require nichrome for making heavy oil.

• That's a great idea. Tiered coils sound good to me - by the time you can afford Kanthal you can also afford Nitrogen, and there's not much reason for heavy oil from wood until you reach at least Nichrome. With that I can kickstart charcoal production with Cupronickel as opposed to using the Igniter until I can manufacture data control circuits.

• You make a good point there. And now I notice that the Oil Cracking Unit, which has a controller made with HV components, uses rings of cupronickel Coils. WTH? The other multiblock machines that can use kanthal coils, the EBF and the Multi Smelter, can use cupronickel and nichrome coils as alternatives, with changes in functionality (different heating capacities for the EBF, and different numbers of concurrent smelted items for the multi smelter), so maybe something similar could be done for the pyrolyse oven, e.g. allow biomass and simple charcoal production with cupronickel coils, but require kanthal to get the efficiency/speed increase from adding nitrogen, and require nichrome for making heavy oil.

I also really like this idea. This would make charcoal production way less of a hassle.

While I'm already posting. would you mind checking my minetweaker script?
    I wanted to change the recipe for drilling fluid since I dont want to move water in and out of cells.

I have a custom.zs script in the correct folder. it contains only this line:
    mods.gregtech.Mixer.addRecipe(null, gregtech:liquid_drillingfluid * 5000, [gregtech:dustStone], liquid:lubricant * 20, 60, 16);

when I reload the scripts i get the error message:
    ERROR: parsing custom.zs:1 -- ) expected

But I dont see where I could have missed that bracket?

What did I fuck up?

• You need some angle brackets, like this (fixed a couple of other problems as well):

Code
    mods.gregtech.Mixer.addRecipe(null, <liquid:liquid_drillingfluid> * 5000, [<gregtech:gt.metaitem.01:2299>], <liquid:lubricant> * 20, 60, 16);

However, since the default mixer recipe requires 5 cells worth of water and only 20 L of lubricant, wouldn't it be more balanced to use water as the input fluid and remove the lubricant from the recipe, while reducing the amount of drilling fluid output, like this:

Code
    mods.gregtech.Mixer.addRecipe(null, <liquid:liquid_drillingfluid> * 4500, [<gregtech:gt.metaitem.01:2299>], <liquid:water> * 5000, 60, 16);

I haven't tested yet whether that would run into problems with the mixer recipe for wet concrete (which has similar inputs), but I have a couple of ideas if it does:
    1. Use other materials in the recipes besides stone dust - I just glanced at the Wikipedia article on Drilling Fluid, and noticed mentions of barite and bentonite being used in water-based muds as drilling fluid, so you could use dusts of those as an alternative.
    2. Use tiny dusts of the materials used for making lubricant in addition to the stone dust (i.e. redstone, talc, or soapstone).

• Thank you very much for your detailed reply!
    Iam not at all familiar with the scripting language used by Minetweaker so I welcome working examples.

I see that you replaced "gregtech:liquid_drillingfluid" with "liquid:liquid_drillingfluid". I assume that "gregtech" and "liquid" are classes or some other data structures containing objects (or whatever else items and liquids are saved as).
    My question would be why my version didnt produce any errors and if yours always works?

You also replaced "dustStone" with the metaitem ID. Is this always necessary? or is this good practice?

And, while I'm at it, is it possible to remove or change recipes? While this way works great, I now have two mixer recipes for drilling fluid.

Concerning balance, I was thinking of adding a recipe containing barite which would increase the production of drilling fluid. My main motivation behind the current change was, that it is incredibly annoying to run back and forth between my ME System and the mixer to supply the demand of Water cells. Since water is free, I dont see this as cheating.

Thanks again for your help.

• I see that you replaced "gregtech:liquid_drillingfluid" with "liquid:liquid_drillingfluid". I assume that "gregtech" and "liquid" are classes or some other data structures containing objects (or whatever else items and liquids are saved as).
    My question would be why my version didnt produce any errors and if yours always works?

I haven't tested mine, but I'm pretty sure fluids always need to be prefixed with "liquid" rather than the mod id. I think in this case it's a namespace rather than a class, but understanding the terminology is not critical.

You also replaced "dustStone" with the metaitem ID. Is this always necessary? or is this good practice?

It's necessary to use the correct internal names and metadata values in MineTweaker scripts. I recommend the mod "NEI Integration", which has an option to show internal names (and one for ore dictionary entries). "gregtech:dustStone" would not have resolved. "ore:dustStone" will work for crafting recipes, but not for machine processing recipes.

And, while I'm at it, is it possible to remove or change recipes? While this way works great, I now have two mixer recipes for drilling fluid.

AFAIK, GTTweaker does not allow removing recipes, but I think you can disable recipes by setting their times to 0 in Recipes.cfg.

Concerning balance, I was thinking of adding a recipe containing barite which would increase the production of drilling fluid. My main motivation behind the current change was, that it is incredibly annoying to run back and forth between my ME System and the mixer to supply the demand of Water cells. Since water is free, I dont see this as cheating.

You have an ME system and you haven't set up automation for the water cells? :S Not that I have much room to talk - I'm only using my ME system for storage, and haven't really set up any permanent AE2 automation. I'm not making any drilling fluid though - my choice of title should tell you how I'm getting my oil :D

• Thank you very much for your detailed reply!
    I am not at all familiar with the scripting language used by Minetweaker so I welcome working examples.

See Mods Get Gregged for many working examples of scripts, and MineTweaker for the official site.

I see that you replaced "gregtech:liquid_drillingfluid" with "liquid:liquid_drillingfluid". I assume that "gregtech" and "liquid" are classes or some other data structures containing objects (or whatever else items and liquids are saved as).

There are 3 types of definers items, oreDictionaries and liquids.
    Information is gotten via pressing (fn)+f3+H or using some NEI options and hovering over an item.
    Items are in the form <mod:item:meta> where

• mod is the code mod name of the mod adding the item (in this case minecraft is considered a mod) i.e. "minecraft", "gregtech", "IC2", etc.
    • item is the code name of the item i.e. "stone", "gt.metaitem.01", "itemRecipePart", etc.
    • meta is the variation number, which is optional and defaults to 0, or could be "*" which means "any variation" when used as a recipe input.

oreDictionaries are in the form <ore:name> where

• ore says this is an oreDictionary and
    • name is the name of an oreDictionary, which are usually typeSubtypeMaterial

liquids are in the form <liquid:name> where

• ore says this is an liquid and
    • name is the name of a liquid, which have no standardization.

Actually, it is generally best to use <ore:item> for item inputs and <mod:item> for item outputs, while all fluid(liquid/gas) are <liquid:name>.

And, while I'm at it, is it possible to remove or change recipes?

Most (if not all) functions called "addRecipe" taking a recipe output and some inputs, have a "removeRecipe" that takes recipe output (optionally with recipe inputs) which removes all recipes with that output (and inputs) of that type.

• Official Post

ore says this is an liquid and

*liquid ;)

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Quoted from "Cocolumbo"

You have an ME system and you haven't set up automation for the water cells? :S Not that I have much room to talk - I'm only using my ME system for storage, and haven't really set up any permanent AE2 automation. I'm not making any drilling fluid though - my choice of title should tell you how I'm getting my oil :D

Well.... it was probably a bit of a stretch to call it a "ME System" it is essentially a glorified Wall of barrels and i only use it for storage. Iam currently busy with moving my steam turbines for the third time which is why i didnt have much time to setup automation...

• Is there any Information on how the Speed of the Advanced miner is affected by the energy supplied?
    I've read that it takes some amount of energy per block mined, but since it is very slow, I was wondering on how I could speed it up?

Also, would anyone mind sharing some reactor designs? I'm particular in need of a Plutonium breeder and an efficient Uranium and MOX Setup.

• Is there any Information on how the Speed of the Advanced miner is affected by the energy supplied?
    I've read that it takes some amount of energy per block mined, but since it is very slow, I was wondering on how I could speed it up?

Most multiblocks, presumably including the Advanced Miner II, can be overclocked by using a higher-tier energy hatch (or multiple energy hatches).

• Most multiblocks, presumably including the Advanced Miner II, can be overclocked by using a higher-tier energy hatch (or multiple energy hatches).

Yeah Iam aware of that. Its the only way to make tungstensteel production bareable.
    But I was looking for more infoirmation on how exactly the miner chooses blocks to mine and how that speed is affected by overclocking.

right now I have 2 miners set up, both using an HV hatch and pulling arround 250 EU/t. But one isnt doing very much and the other one is producing ores like crazy. They are both setup directly over veins.

And, another question: Where should I look for Osmium? Does it generate in the Overworld?

• Yeah Iam aware of that. Its the only way to make tungstensteel production bareable.
    But I was looking for more infoirmation on how exactly the miner chooses blocks to mine and how that speed is affected by overclocking.

right now I have 2 miners set up, both using an HV hatch and pulling arround 250 EU/t. But one isnt doing very much and the other one is producing ores like crazy. They are both setup directly over veins.

Skimming the source code, it look like it has about a 5% chance of actually doing anything each time it consumes EU and drilling fluid, but when it does, it performs the following rough steps:
    1. If the list of known ore locations on the current Y level is empty, it checks +/-48 in the X and Z coordinates for GT ores (it technically operates in a 97x97 area), reading north to south in each column west to east.
    2. If the list is still empty (possibly due to having already mined all the ore on the current layer), it tries to extend the mining pipe down one layer.
    3. If there's anything in the list, it takes the ore from the noted location and produces up to 5 of each of the macerator recipe outputs of the ore drop (or up to 5 of each of the ore drops, for oilsands ore and small ores)

And, another question: Where should I look for Osmium? Does it generate in the Overworld?

Not directly by default - it's the second byproduct of iridium ore, which appears in Platinum mix veins (Overworld mix veins have a 1 in 332 chance of being Platinum veins, End mix veins have a 1 in 52 chance of being Platinum veins), and small iridium ore generates in the End.

Also, there's an Iridium Ore mod (availabe here in the IC2 forum), which uses the ore dictionary, so the iridium ore from that mod can be processed in GregTech machines to get osmium dust. Possibly a bit OP to get osmium that way, though.

• Wonderful, exactly what I was looking for. I guess that means I'll slap EV Eneregy hatches on the Miners and Power them with Nukes. I need to burn the uranium anyways :D

Oh boy.. guess I'll be prospecting for a while.

Thank you very much ;)

• 2. Would any of you mind sharing your Reactor designs?

Ideal Industrial Assembly (IIA) - my pretty hard industrial modpack based on GT5.09

Идеальная Индустриальная Сборка (ИИС) - довольно сложный сугубо индустриальный модпак, базирующийся на GT5.09

http://sapientmail.wixsite.com/minecraft

Edited once, last by Sapient ().

• now i can't get advanced pumps to work.

btw. if u need just water - u should use drain cover on fluid pipe closely to water source

Ideal Industrial Assembly (IIA) - my pretty hard industrial modpack based on GT5.09

Идеальная Индустриальная Сборка (ИИС) - довольно сложный сугубо индустриальный модпак, базирующийся на GT5.09

http://sapientmail.wixsite.com/minecraft

• Marry me ^^