[Addon for IC2 v1.15] Charcoal Dust

• Alblaka is right. Growing coal sucks, players will just create farm trees, change them into charcoal, and later use it as fuel. The point is to balance coal using, at start i used it to generate power, now i macerate it and make solar panels from it, now i get around 62E/T from just solar panels, so my machinery don't need fuel ( but if i turn on my óber diamond drill 9x9 area miner x3 energy depletes quickly, and i need to turn my reactor on. )

Yep! Totally OP just growing trees, burning wood and making coal fuel stuff. After planting trees and chopping them the rest can be automated with Buildcraft, so EPIC OP! I like the balance right now. Using charcoal itself only in iron furnaces and generators, then I just make solar panels after getting the macerator and then there is no need for fuel most of the time. And there's plants to be used as fuel, takes a lot of plants, but using a sugar cane plantation w/ pistons auto farming and Buildcraft it's efficient! Just have to make a plantation big enough! Just make sure you burn the sugar cane in the generator, do NOT make biofuel(it's highly inefficient, I don't no why...doesn't make any sense)!
    Also, I use a independent solar panels array w/ a MFE to power the miner w/ OV card and diamond drill. The magic number seems to be 23-24 solar panels and using energy cristals to temporarily store the MFE energy is essential if you just move everything around to avoid losing to much EU!
    Then I can use different solar panels w/ MFE to power my machines in different locations. Segmented local power generation is the key to energy efficiency in the future in Minecraft and IRL! :D

• Ok, both you guys and alblaka make very valid points that I completely agree with. Macerating charcoal into coal dust is OP in survival. The dynamics of the game change completely when in PVP though, which is what I am unsuccessfully trying to say. Yes, when your fighting a bunch of dim witted monsters and just building for the sake of building you WANT that satisfaction of having to work hard to get something. In PVP, you want the satisfaction of knowing that all your hard work won't take 40 hours to rebuild when it eventually gets destroyed in war (oh it will). In PVP, you want to fight for the most part, not just build. I mean imagine if building a pylon in starcraft took hours of hard work, and yet is only one small aspect of your base. Would anyone really even want to fight with so much time invested into their creations? Irrelevant though. Recipebook for craft bukkit can simply be used to make charcoal -> coal without the hassle of mods. Not to mention deposits of coal can just be added into the game. I was just trying to establish that one mans survival game is anothers war game and maybe get you guys to look at things from another perspective.

• I think the macerating charcoal being a bad idea simply because it lets you grow diamonds, is one of the silliest things ever. Have any of you heard of SCRAP BOXES????? Far more OP than macerating charcoal, hands down. Lets you get anything, for a rather low power cost, along with a bunch of dirt, or possibly even wood, cobble, or any of the other things you have too much of. If you are using buildcraft as well, it is not that hard to create an automated scrap factory, so freecheap diamonds for EVERYONE!

• Wouldn't it be better if you put like nine charcoal on your workbench to create some kind of charcoal mix/block/ball, you put this mix/block/ball into the compressor and you get one regular coal.
    In short, you compress a lot of charcoal into one regular coal. Getting dust from the compressor doesn't make sense, and besides, you wouldn't need to adjust any of the machine files right?

If you really need to be able to produce coal out of charcoal I think this solution would not be OP. It would still require a lot of work and resources to produce regular coal in large quantities.

• Fixed your time frame to fit reality.

I agree with the fact that having infinite diamonds is OP. I would love to be able to mass produce glass fiber cables all day, but then there's no challenge in getting an efficient base running with little/no energy loss. As far as balancing this mod, I do think that if he took the charcoal aspect out and made the macerator grind logs into pulp (1:1), combine 9 to make a pulp chunk, then either add in lava for heat then toss in the compressor, or make a specialty machine requiring HV energy, a separate heat source (integrated induction furnace or slot for a lava cell?) and about half an hour real time to make 1 piece of coal. That would still allow the creation of coal, but the initial capital would be very high. The machine would have to be able to withstand many tons of pressure, so it would require advanced building materials. Possibly make the recipe a secret matter recipe?

Summary: I do like the idea of being able to manufacture coal, but do want it to be out of reach of the sane populace.

• Look you can already get plenty of energy from charcooal... stick it in a generator and your done

so quit moaning

Over modding is the key to success.

One day creepers will learn how to use doors. Then nobody will be safe...

• I know you were kidding about all the other stuff but would you add the ability to macerate charcoal? It would be so helpful and you would not have to tear apart your world as much to look for coal.

• I know you were kidding about all the other stuff but would you add the ability to macerate charcoal? It would be so helpful and you would not have to tear apart your world as much to look for coal.

Basically, he is saying that all of those other things are as bad as allowing the maceration of charcoal, regardless of how you limit it.

I know for one I will never use fuel, because it is useless. Aside from it still wasting tin (less than before, but still is), it uses up valuable coal (because you cannot macerate charcoal, remember?) and honestly, that tin would go to way better use in geothermal power (lava has less uses than coal after all)

• Charcoal Maceration was something disabled INTENTIONALLY due to the fact coal does "now" have a real use due to it being the only source of coal dust.
    Previously coal was useless, because you could plainly grow it on mass tree farms.

Will for sure not be "added" to the official release.

I agree, but I also disagree. I think yes, when ic2 is used as it was intended (or at least my interpretation of it's intended use), charcoal should not be allowed to be macerated. However, as one user pointed out, there are other cases, where ic2 is being used in an environment it wasn't originally intended for, such as pvp servers, that make charcoal maceration more sensible and less OP. I agree that un-modded ic2 should not allow for charcoal maceration, however I see no reason to hinder mods from making that possible. It just limits the potential environments your mod will fit in, or makes it harder for others to implement this in a situation where it is no longer op, or implement it in a way that's not op. There's no point in stifling creativity.

• I agree, but I also disagree. I think yes, when ic2 is used as it was intended (or at least my interpretation of it's intended use), charcoal should not be allowed to be macerated. However, as one user pointed out, there are other cases, where ic2 is being used in an environment it wasn't originally intended for, such as pvp servers, that make charcoal maceration more sensible and less OP. I agree that un-modded ic2 should not allow for charcoal maceration, however I see no reason to hinder mods from making that possible. It just limits the potential environments your mod will fit in, or makes it harder for others to implement this in a situation where it is no longer op, or implement it in a way that's not op. There's no point in stifling creativity.

Hes just saying that it will not added to the Official IC2 ever, mods can still break IC2 w/e the way they want.

And why did you feel the need to bump this thread that was about to die?

Edit: oh wait... nvm, still my second point is still valid.

• Hes just saying that it will not added to the Official IC2 ever, mods can still break IC2 w/e the way they want.

And why did you feel the need to bump this thread that was about to die?

Edit: oh wait... nvm, still my second point is still valid.

Because I didn't want it to die. Plus I didn't feel it deserved a new topic, but still felt it was something worth saying.

• Okay, my :Industrial Credit: :Industrial Credit: on this.

I can see the value of Coal in the making of the Nano Suit, the Carbon Plates for the Advanced Machine Blocks, etc.

And really, the only use Charcoal has is burning in Generators, and even then it's limited to that. What I propose is that Carbon Plates can be made from Charcoal Dust, but said dust can not be processed into Diamonds.

But in this sense, a lot of the machinery in the higher tier will have to be nerfed to accommodate the easily accessible Plates for their Adv. Machine Blocks.