New guy and (mostly) nuke questions

• just got into industrialcraft a few days ago and all I can say is WOW this adds so much more back to minecraft, which was beginning to get boring.

I've got a nice little place going with a geothermal and an mfe in the basement with a solar flower coming down into it off the roof, got my 1st miner going (we need those battery packs mentioned in the wiki :)

Built my 1st reactor but haven't fired it up yet. I work in the real nuclear field so I'm trying to put myself through some IC-nuke school and become a qualified operator before I turn that thing on.

A few (possibly) retarded questions.

1. Does the nuke put out Lv/Hv/Mv/Ev? I've never found that clarified anywhere. I don't feel like plugging copper into the thing is the best way to start this.

2. does building it atop a transformer/energy storer of some kind affect the cooling too negatively or is it a lesser-of-all-evils thing

3. has anyone gotten a good way of flooding their containment vessels? maybe a better hydrodynamics mod out there that will allow for real flooding/filling?

• Welcome, hope you enjoy Ic2 =D

1. It can put out all of the above. depending on how much power is being generated per reactor tick. so for most of the smaller simple reactors you can just use copper cables.

2.The reactor should be build one block high then the block it sits on removed and replaced with a reactor chamber. that being said. only a 3x3x3 around the reactor itself is affected by outside cooling(water/air). If you built it directly on top of a MFE i think that would count as a solid and you would lose one block of cooling, ( but adding chambers and cables dont count that way IIRC so could just put a cable out of top or bottom and keep the cooling (air))

3.Currently your best bet if running a hot reactor is to put a source water block directly above the reactor 2 or 3 blocks so when it starts to evaporate the water it only gets the flowing water around it. If you are looking for a good water mod to do something along the lines of real containment. You should check into Finite liquid 5.0 (which i just checked he finally released yay) its a bit more cpu intensive (best to make a world and wait 5mins lol) after it loads tho its ok.

http://djoslin.info/finiteliquid.php

• what when your reactor explodes near an ocean? D:

• i assume you are referring to the fact you drain water from else where and will run out and your reactor will explode? well that depends on your reactor. BC/Finite both off good storage for water. Finite also allows you to craft source water blocks that are infinite, not that the ocean doesnt give enough lol.

That being said Finite liquid is a huge improvement over the way water works now.

• 1 Use Glass Fiber cable, its a little expensive but will allow you to play with more setups without rewireing. Also will let you set up the reactor FAR AWAY from your base with less energy loss (And you want the thing far away for when the first time it explodes on you)

2 Get your power storage as far away as possible, so its not as much of a headache rebuilding it after an accident (Glass fiber X 20 to MFSU to 20 more Glass fiber and another MFSU as a minimum (Build a blast wall to protect second MFSU with reinforced stone))

3 I just use source blocks above reactor and it can flow around entire reactor to cool.

Pic of my reactor while I was still building the containment shell:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2duzi0x.png

• Better to ask questions than get it wrong with a reactor, I say.

1. Does the nuke put out Lv/Hv/Mv/Ev? I've never found that clarified anywhere. I don't feel like plugging copper into the thing is the best way to start this.

The reactor can put out all the types of energy. It entirely depends on the setup of your reactor. Low Voltage is 32EU/t or less, Medium Voltage is under 512EU/t (IIRC), High Voltage is 2048EU/t or less (IIRC), and Extreme Voltage is above that. Your best bet is to use Glass Fiber for wiring since it allows up to 512EU/t and also has the least resistance (20 blocks to resist 1 EU/t).

Most reactor designs you'll find here are Medium Voltage (and the few that are High Voltage usually require massive Buildcraft factories to support the reactor).

2. does building it atop a transformer/energy storer of some kind affect the cooling too negatively or is it a lesser-of-all-evils thing

The reactor's external cooling properties are dependent upon a 3x3x3 cube, where the center of this is the reactor itself. You'll probably prefer having the transformer/energy storage unit placed next to a reactor chamber (chambers provide better cooling than water even for the external cooling). However, to answer directly, the unit is just going to be like removing one of the blocks of cooling from the reactor (so 1 less cooling if it replaces where water goes).

3. has anyone gotten a good way of flooding their containment vessels? maybe a better hydrodynamics mod out there that will allow for real flooding/filling?

I usually have a nearby infinite water pond that I just dump the water from. I build up the reactor's water level manually this way, and as long as I'm not using a reactor that builds up heat (Mark I or Mark II-10+), I won't need to worry about losing the water blocks from evaporating.

• Low voltage is 32, medium voltage is 128, high voltage is 512 and extreme voltage is 2048. Iam talking about the eu in 1 pulse. You can have 10000 pulses of 20 eu but it will still be low voltage. Pretty much how real electricity works with volt (the eu in 1 pulse) and ampere (amount of pulses) (which is really cool in this mod).

• There we are. Yeah, I never remember the voltage stuff... Glass Fiber is basically all you'll need anyways when you are dealing with reactors unless using one of those insane CASUC reactors.

• Actually as I explored in the Electrical Engineering section with an MFSU to macerator (via stepdown TFs) test; glass fiber cable is lossless up to 39 blocks (I tested 39 and 41 since 1 per 40 is the secondary documentation figure and I had a nice curve to try it out with).

• Actually as I explored in the Electrical Engineering section with an MFSU to macerator (via stepdown TFs) test; glass fiber cable is lossless up to 39 blocks (I tested 39 and 41 since 1 per 40 is the secondary documentation figure and I had a nice curve to try it out with).

Hrm, did you test glass fiber with a MFE? (so no step-down needed) ... cos it's possible they improved the resistance when the nerfed the # of cables you get from crafting. [idk where you found the secondary documentation from :)]

• Ok. got Redstone Power2, BC and IC2 1.23 reinstalled, built a new world, have another reactor ready to go.

TELL ME THERES A FASTER WAY TO MAKE A CONTAINMENT FILLED WITH WATER THAN FLOODING IT BUCKET BY BUCKET

hate to yell, but this is really unnerving me that there's no other way to flood a 9x9x9 cube space save dropping a bucket into each slot.

bc pumps don't seem to do the trick, finite isn't forge compatible....anyone?

• about blastwalls - to fully shield your energy storage from most meltdowns you need two block thick wall of RStone, or 3Wall of obsidian, preferably 3/4 in direction of MFSU
    my mfsu survived a blast while being just 6 blocks away from mk3 reactor behind the wall of 1RStone and 2 Obsidian with RStone surviving it

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• While we talk about newb nuke questions, may I ask what a CASUC reactor is? I saw the huge discussion about one, but I don't get the theory/cooling system that classifies it as CASUC. What does that stand for? Also, if that one was a MK V, how does it run full cycles without exploding?

• about blastwalls - to fully shield your energy storage from most meltdowns you need two block thick wall of RStone, or 3Wall of obsidian, preferably 3/4 in direction of MFSU
    my mfsu survived a blast while being just 6 blocks away from mk3 reactor behind the wall of 1RStone and 2 Obsidian with RStone surviving it

My testing (3x3 open area w/ reactor, surrounded half by reinforced stone, half by obsidian in a cube) required 4 layers to fully contain a meltdown. At 3 layers, there were holes in the containment chamber (on both reinf. stone and obsidian sides). At 4 layers, there were no holes anywhere. It was the same for the reinforced doors. The first 3 in the line were destroyed, and the 4th held.

I think it was a reactor only (no extra chambers) about half full of uranium. Not sure if the amount of uranium has an impact on blast size...

From the blast pattern, you could probably cheat a little on the 4-thick cube by omitting the edge blocks. (a significant 116-block savings)

• 1. It depends how the reactor. Check your EU/t and use the appropriate cable.

2. Yes, that is one less block that you can have be water cooling it. Just use a wire leading out of the reactor to the transformer.

3. Finite Water, but I haven't tried it out myself.

• While we talk about newb nuke questions, may I ask what a CASUC reactor is? I saw the huge discussion about one, but I don't get the theory/cooling system that classifies it as CASUC. What does that stand for? Also, if that one was a MK V, how does it run full cycles without exploding?

Any reactor wit SUC attached to it's name means it uses Single Use Coolants. (ice or water buckets)
    As for the extra CA at the beginning, I believe it means it uses other mods to resupply the SUCs while operating. (such as buildcraft)
    If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

• Actualy 1 bucket is enough if you let the water flow down from above :)