[Suggestion] Silicon and Semiconductors

• Olivine Ore -[Mine]-> Olivine
    Olivine -[Furnace]-> Silicon
    Silicon -[Compressor]-> Silicon Wafers x4
    3x Silicon Wafers Horizontally -[Crafting Bench]-> Solar Cell
    2x Silicon Wafers + 1x Cable (WCW) -[Crafting Bench]-> Semiconductor

Solar Cells would be used in the construction of Solar Panels and also be used in the recipes for some later tier machines, Semiconductors would be a material requires for Advanced Circuits and later tier machines.

Silicon has a lot of applications in the modern world especially related to electronics. I feel like the game needs more ores to mine, more things to dig for, and IC would feel a lot more fitting with the modern industrial world with semiconductors and silicon wafers.

Edit: Supposedly RP2 is getting Silicon as well, just use the Oredictionary (don't void this suggestion solely for that reason)

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• I'm not positive, but I believe Alblaka does not want to add new ores.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• I'm not positive, but I believe Alblaka does not want to add new ores.

Is there a reason behind that? I understand it sucks that new worlds have to find new terrain and such, but new ores just add so much flavor to the game and add a lot of gameplay time.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Is there a reason behind that? I understand it sucks that new worlds have to find new terrain and such, but new ores just add so much flavor to the game and add a lot of gameplay time.

Block ID pollution. Short version: new ores == BAD BAD BAD

You're more likely to have success lobbying for sandstone + compressor == silicon /item/ further crafting to get wafers.

• Block ID pollution. Short version: new ores == BAD BAD BAD

You're more likely to have success lobbying for sandstone + compressor == silicon /item/ further crafting to get wafers.

Block ID Pollution? There are PLENTY of Block IDs remaining and you can just do damage values for Ore can't you?

Also if RP2 is already doing it and putting it in the ore dictionary, wouldn't that be an ID that we'd have to avoid anyway?

• there's a loads of IDs only if you dont have many mods
    personally i think is silicon should be added then as a sandstone product
    this one is massively underused and sort of can be imagined like silica sand, at least it appears near sand and is more rare than sand
    to compensate for being relatively common block there's always energy costs and cycle like macerate-smelt-compress-refine-etc

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• Official Post

New ore blocks do not use new ID's, but i still prefer going with as few ores as possible. We don't exactly need 50 different ores with practically no use for each.

The idea of adding silicon via sand(stone) is a nice idea. If i find enough valid uses, i will consider implementing it.

• Why does silicon have to be some kind of block? Can't the silicon products just be items? There's thousands of itemID slots, aren't there?

• Maybe I'm just weird then, I enjoy having more things to dig for, right now my entire base is packed full of Copper, Tin, and Iron, would be nice to have another ore to strive to find as opposed to something I can just make using Sand.

I guess I like the Mine in Minecraft =P

• I agree with you, I love mining and would love to see silicon ore of some sort.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• actual electronics-grade silicon is waaaay more of processing the sand than getting it, just the water purification required for the process cost more than base material
    ore looks more of a nonsense to me

just my 2c

Ever notice when forums have a suggestion board, there's a small group of idiots who just hang around that little forum section? Yeah, I'm one of those guys. (c) by That one guy

• actual electronics-grade silicon is waaaay more of processing the sand than getting it, just the water purification required for the process cost more than base material
    ore looks more of a nonsense to me

just my 2c

A silicate mineral of a high base purity could effectively be used to create electronics grade silicon if processed properly. Realistically, no, its never going to happen because such high purity materials don't exist, and the machines necessary to purify them to a useable point would be ridiculous.

But we're talking about a game where you stab a stick into a stone and it outputs a miracle power source. I think we can skip on the purity levels of silicon for the sake of gameplay here ;)

• Sand + Macerator = Sand Dust
    Sand Dust + Furnace = Impure Sillicon
    Impure Silicon + Furnace = Silicon Blob
    Silicon Blob + Compressor = Silicon Chip

Complex, but meh.

:Mining Laser: HEADSHOT :Mining Laser:
    For the record "Sibire" is pronounced "sighbeer", not "cyber", "sib-ere" or "sigh-bire".

• But then Wafers would have to be added to the Ore Dictionary for those who are already using Redpower 2, lol...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• What would they be used for, anyway?

:Mining Laser: HEADSHOT :Mining Laser:
    For the record "Sibire" is pronounced "sighbeer", not "cyber", "sib-ere" or "sigh-bire".

• You could use them for many things. They could replace glowstone in advanced circuits as one example.

And don't confuse silicon with silicone. Silicon is Si, which could be processed into wafers, but it is extremly difficult (because you need monocrystalline silicon).

First you need a reduction. This could be done with simple Coal to produce Silicon out of SiO2 (basically sand), then you could use the induction or any other powerful furnace to resmelt the silicon to produce a monocrystal. Then again you have to cut it, which IC2 lacks a machine. If they are processed similar in terms of cost you could put them in the dictionary.

Basically Silicon is something we use permantly all day. Because all our electricity is based upon it. You could use it to create splitter and Detector-cables, it should be part of advanced circuits instead of glowstone it could be made into silicone (maybe Steve needs new breasts), which again could be used in many ways.

And really... Silicon is the core-element of solarcells...

Silicone could be used for isolation (could be used for hv-cables, to directly isolate 3 times), it could be used as a piece of construction foam.

But IC2 works fine without and implementing silicon would only change recipes, because all you could do with silicon is somehow substituted in IC2 with other materials (like Glass/Coal-Dust for Solars). It would make some things like Solars more expensive and would reduce the need to go to the nether (because less Glowstone-Dust-use) which might be good for servers, but again there isn't a higher good you will achieve with this, but on the other hand it is only some new items and some recipe-changes to implement.

• I am one of those that dont like 132165478 different kinds of ores which only have 1 use each (Aside from the usual Armor/Tool Crafting Shenanigans) its just simply not effective unless you like to use those ores for decoration or something, with technological mods like BC/IC2/RP2 its better to run with the minimum possible number of new ores just to keep more simple recipe wise. (Although i didnt like RP2 adding Ruby, Sappire and Emerald because aside from basic tools and covers, they are mostly useless :/)

• I am one of those that dont like 132165478 different kinds of ores which only have 1 use each (Aside from the usual Armor/Tool Crafting Shenanigans) its just simply not effective unless you like to use those ores for decoration or something, with technological mods like BC/IC2/RP2 its better to run with the minimum possible number of new ores just to keep more simple recipe wise. (Although i didnt like RP2 adding Ruby, Sappire and Emerald because aside from basic tools and covers, they are mostly useless :/)

There are uses in the future. I would like a RP2/IC-Mining-Laser which is colored by using one of the gems and shoots blue, green or red lasers :P

But again Silicon doesn't need a new ore, because silicon-ore is already implemented in vMC... we call it sand. It's a bit odd, that you could make sand into sandstone, because you need high pressure or some kind of clue like CaO (IC2 does the high-pressure thing), but well...

• I agree with you, I love mining and would love to see silicon ore of some sort.

Make a mod to let sandstone spawn as ore , done :P XD , but i think block id pollution is a big thing
    a server containing ic²,Redpower,Buildcraft and railcraft is modded to the limit of block id's nearly full , (exept 2 or so block ids)
    clients are a diffrent story becouse there now is the 4048 block data values mod

• a server containing ic²,Redpower,Buildcraft and railcraft is modded to the limit of block id's nearly full , (exept 2 or so block ids)

In singleplayer I have IC2, RedPower, BuildCraft, RailCraft, AdditionalPipes, Advanced Machines, Rocket Science, Logistics Pipes, Equivalent Exchange, Forestry, MineFactory Reloaded, Power Converters, and ComputerCraft, and I'm not out of block IDs yet. (I don't have an ID extender mod either)
    New blocks can use the same block IDs as existing ones, but existing blocks can't be merged like that because it would break existing worlds.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.