Suggestion: MKII Miner.

• Yeah, I find that unless Im using the normal drill, that it is a real pain to power my miners
    (im developing a concept of portable Nuclear power)
    it would help to have and upgraded version which could accept energy crystals or even lapotrons as well as MV current.
    also The Mining outpost block idea is still viable.

• >>

Uhhh....what? Isn't LV anything up to 32 EU/t....and isn't 24 less than 32? That's like saying your vacuum cleaner should be using your clothes-dryer outlet just because it uses 80% of the amps allotted for the other outlets -- ridiculous and absurd!

Have you forgotten the induction furnace? It uses up to 16eu/s but can receive up to medium voltage.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• >> "First of all, something that eats 24 EU/t shouldn't be running on LV."

Uhhh....what? Isn't LV anything up to 32 EU/t....and isn't 24 less than 32? That's like saying your vacuum cleaner should be using your clothes-dryer outlet just because it uses 80% of the amps allotted for the other outlets -- ridiculous and absurd!

The problem... obviously... is that it will clean out a batbox in less than 30 seconds, raising the question of why something that can only accept LV is completely useless when used with LV infrastructure and inconvenient even with MV.

• Let's look a a typical mining op for /me/:

1 miner + pump; Diamond drill, OV Scanner. Average eU/t is ~25

Average cost to go from Y=64 to depth: ~1M eU

Yes, powering this with a Laptron crystal is the correct answer.
    Integrating the scanner and drill with full/0 power seem like sound modifications to the block; it only requires 9 different damage values to encode yes/no on diamond drill and ov-scanner as options; 25 states if you also include normal drill and OD scanner charged/discharged as options.

BTW, if receiving power from Lapotron crystals this should require an advanced machine block to make. Advanced machine block based machines should /all/ be able to receive up to 512eU/t and discharge anything up to lapotron crystals.

Edit:
    While I'm at it, please also integrate the pump in to the advanced miner.

• MJEvans for President!

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• Alblaka, wrench failures. There needs to be a 100% wrenchable way, maybe a discharge-only LV output block which can take lapos?

• I don't like the idea of putting miners and pumps at a higher "tier" level (in terms of BetterThenWolves). I would rather see a slow miner receiving around 8 EU/t to keep it at LV comparable machines than to make it require advanced machine blocks and lapatrons. But even at 24 EU/t, I still do not see a problem with using a 32 EU line...however I have not personally had to move a miner that often (I scan for good spots, mine it, and repeat 3 or 4 times until I have enough for a BC quarry).

Instead of all that mess, why not make a craft AFTER lapatron crystals that reduce the output to LV but still store the 1mEU and not change the charge rate when placed in an MFSU:

_L_
    GEG
    CEC

L - lapatron crystal
    E - electronic circuit

G - gold 2xins cable
    C - copper ins cable

Input: -
    Output: 31 EU/t (but loses 32 EU/t, a 3.125% loss in stepping down the voltage)
    Storage: 1mEU

An intermediary device could also be suggested that drops down to MV (not sure of its usefulness though):

_L_
    GEG

L - lapatron crystal
    E - electronic circuit

G - gold 2xins cable

Input: -
    Output: 126 EU/t (but loses 128 EU/t, a 1.5625% loss in stepping down voltage)
    Storage: 1mEU

The design allows for a direct decent into the LV output lapatron with this formula:

_M_
    CEC

M - MV dropdown lapatron unit
    E - electronic circuit
    C - copper ins cable

The loss rates are an option suggestion to keep it from being too imbalanced with other engines. This would allow you to place your miner in the middle of nowhere and give it an LV-lapatron and walk away, come back and pick it all up, recharge your LVL and move to the next spot.

• I support the idea.

I use my miner with a MFE and (therefor an LV Transformer) and 4 Energy Crystals. Add a chest to it, and you have 4 Blocks, 6 Items (4 Crystals + Diamond Drill + OV Scanner).
    Add my regular equipment to that, and my inventory is nearly full leaving almost no space to bing home the goods afterward. All this running to bring home goods and to reload the crystals between base and mining site make me feel like I am from the redundant department of redundant redundancy :)

A upgrade to the miner (that might even be made from way more expensive components) would stop all the unnecessary running. I'd really like to see that and would definetely use it, no matter if as an addon or officially integrated into IC².

• I'm a tad suprissed that this has not been created into an addon yet. I know F4113nb34st is going make one and also nallar claims to be making one else.

I guess a suggestion for the modded ones. Be possible have 2 energy Crystal Slots? Why? because 90% of the time you will only use say 80% maybe less maybe more of 1 blue crystal. Be nice to be able to discharge the rest of it + work on the next one per miner hehe.

• +1 for Lapotrons / EC's.

Maybe make it a recursive 3 tier type recipe.

you build the mk1 with the standard recipe.

to get it to mk2, you take a mk1, some wire and an lv-xfmr. mk2 would accept Energy crystals.

to get to mk3, an mk2 + mv-xfmr. mk 2 accepts lapotrons.

• You're on the correct track with different /levels/ of miner. However your ingredients are off.

The advanced miner should require at least an advanced machine block, and maybe an advanced circuit (or more glowstone dust and a few lapas); it should accept at least 512eU/t voltage, possibly higher (like an MFS unit). In fact all 'advanced' machines should accept 512eU/t voltage and discharge all current types of storage.

The medium level miner? Isn't this already covered by the pump and scanner/drill upgrades?

Though maybe for the medium miner and advanced miner integrating the ability to store the addons would be useful. It -would- also be useful to integrate a pump in to the 'medium' miner and another in to the 'advanced' miner to get dual pump action.

• Just registered on the site to contribute to this thread. First off, I want to say I absolutely love Industrial Craft 2! Minecraft had been gathering some dust lately and it got me back into the game big time. I haven't played around with Buildcraft much yet, which I know is a separate team, but from what I've played around with it's not as interesting.

Lately I've been playing on a SMP that I started with a friend. I've been using the Miner extensively and I find the portability of the device to be a problem. Unlike other machines that remain mostly stationary, the Miner is of no use if it remains in one spot too long. As such I find that I'm forced to either expend large quantities of fiber cable to keep EU losses down, or make a number of batboxes and use copper cabling, or I have to use my current setup which involves moving multiple Geotermnal Generators or a small portable Nuclear Reactor for power. Well, the Nuclear Reactor was working well...until I had a wrench failure today which was incredibly frustrating.

Thats why I would support Miners allowing Lapatron crystals. I don't see this being game breaking or anything, either way you have to generate the necessary power for the devices or to charge the crystal. The crystal just helps cut back on unnecessary lengths of cable or wrench failures. If there was a wrench that didn't have failures, I probably wouldn't be concerned at all.

• I was glad when I found out that IC2 didnt have wrench failure included! but it semes that this has been added once again?
    why may i ask? It was thruly the msot bothersome thing in IC1 so why readd this unwanted feature?

• Have to say I'm all for something that makes the Miner truely portable. Power consumption means long trails of cables, transformers of loads of RE-batteries.

• Well it seems like there is 2 mods that deal with adding this in now and maybe more on the way. I guess the idea is for sure a successful one. Hopefully it gets highly considered with the devs making mining more mobile.

• Better idea, requires: Zeldo's Tele-pipes and Energy Coupler

:Advanced Machine::Cable::LV-Transformer::Glass Fibre:

:Glass Fibre: = Power teleport Pipe

:Cable: = Cable

:Advanced Machine: = Miner

:LV-Transformer: = LV coupler

Mine from basically any location.. doesn't require you to have alternate energy sources on site, and is only 4-5 blocks to rotate around...

If that's still unacceptable, idk what to tell you then..

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.