Machine Rates & a BC+IC Idea

• Yes I looked at this as well. In short, recyclers need to be nerfed massively if you are playing with redpower 2, because redpower 2 cobble generators take no energy to run. So on my world, recyclers need 10x more energy to run, and I also make the diamond rate 1% instead of 3%.

Sounds like a problem with RedPower2, then. Can't recommend changes to IC2 simply on the basis that someone "might" be using it in conjunction with another mod that allows one to exploit something. Better off lobbying the RedPower team to make the sensible change of requiring power for a machine that generates something... I don't know, I've never used it.

• The problem with this suggestion is that the block breaker isn't the thing that's "generating matter". It's only moving it around. The thing that's actually doing the generating of matter is the water and lava; the idea that you can get cobblestone for free is a stock Minecraft issue (genuinely free and renewable, since you can mine it with a stone pick). So while it makes sense that it should cost energy to make matter, applying that argument to the block breaker may or may not make much sense. For example, my nether-sited obsidian generator uses it to break the obsidian after pumping up lava. Should I pay energy to break the obsidian even though I'm not creating matter out of nothing? I'm making matter out of lava which I've already paid to pump up from the lake into buckets and which is finite. I'm not saying I shouldn't pay energy for this, I'm saying think it over because the problem isn't as clear-cut as "block breaker creates matter, block breaker should use energy".

Alternatively one could make cobblestone not work in the recycler, but that would no doubt piss off a lot of people.

• Sure, I can accept that a machine that breaks a block should require power. I just don't think it's sensible to make it require the appropriate amount of power to balance the tradeoff in this situation, which would be a very large amount of power, because then it would be prohibitively expensive for other applications where you're not getting matter for free.

• The fact remains that you're still advocating a change to this mod based on the unpredictable behavior that another mod introduces to it.
    The problem isn't with the recycler, it's with your free RP2 cobble factory.

• Official Post

Now, with the next update it doesn't matter anymore. Recycling will be degraded to a fun randomness-thing or Mass-Fuel.
    But you won't get enough valuable stuff to actually make it a serious productive business :O

I think, what you should do is assign blocks/items some kind of density factory, 0.01 to 1, and apply that to the random check. For instance, obsidian would have a density factor of 1, and a fairly high chance of producing scrap, say 50%, but a cake, or a stick would be very low, less than 0.10, having a low chance of producing scrap.

• I hate Glass Panes.

I like Notch's glass panes as a building material. They make a good greenhouse for a lot less glass than glass blocks.

Have yet to blow up any Reactor . It's only a matter of time, though. Actually, I may go for a CASUC design, but doubtful.
    "Are you sure this will work?"(My friends)
    "I have no idea! Let's do it anyways!"(Me.)

Generation 27 The first time you see this, put it in your signature and add 1 to the number. Call it a social science pyramid scheme.

• get redpower for better panels.

Epic failure... have you sir been paying attention to the conversation? People are complaining about Redower in this thread and you simpy say use the RP features? fail.

That's a rather cool idea, but a lone tree is suspicious, better plant some more. So really... forget about solar-flowers, solar-trees are the next generation :P

• Official Post

Epic failure... have you sir been paying attention to the conversation? People are complaining about Redower in this thread and you simpy say use the RP features? fail.

For a start, I believe it's one person that's complaining about 1 feature of RP. Now, regardless of that, your comment adds nothing to this thread and is needlessly critical of another user. Learn some bloody manners.

Might help to use your brain a bit too, as Gorni's comment is unrelated to the OP and is perfectly relevant to the person he was replying to. Grow the hell up.

• Now, with the next update it doesn't matter anymore. Recycling will be degraded to a fun randomness-thing or Mass-Fuel.
    But you won't get enough valuable stuff to actually make it a serious productive business :O

Just have to revert to 1.8.1 for that... (I miss the sticky dynamite in 1.0.0)

Edit: after a long counting test of one chest full of scrap boxes (54*64) this came out

and yeah, I'm aware that these are not 54*64 items, I have no idea where the hell I lost a bit more than a stack but whatever, should be still a good estimation of what you'll get, lots of dirt and hoes lol
    now his update note "suddenly hoes" makes sense XD

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• I had a random thought last week to set up a recycler in my base, since I didn't have one... I slapped it down next to my recharging waystation, wired the solar power from the waystation into it, put a nice box around it, colored it green and white to suit, put a sign on it... and there we go... suddenly I had the best timewaster I had ever invented!

While waiting for random items to recharge in my waystation, I'll take a bit of time out to sift through my messy inventory, placing things into the recycler, and as an added bonus, when enough scrap had been generated, a light would come on and I get to press a button for a surprise gift!!! WOOOO!!!!! All it took was one diamond to pop out before I hooked up a teleport pipe into the top of this waystation, hooked the other end of that teleport pipe to my quarry off in the midst of nowhere, then sat patiently by the recycler until the light came on, so that I could press the button. ^^

Isn't recycling fun? :D

• I had a random thought last week to set up a recycler in my base, since I didn't have one... I slapped it down next to my recharging waystation, wired the solar power from the waystation into it, put a nice box around it, colored it green and white to suit, put a sign on it... and there we go... suddenly I had the best timewaster I had ever invented!

While waiting for random items to recharge in my waystation, I'll take a bit of time out to sift through my messy inventory, placing things into the recycler, and as an added bonus, when enough scrap had been generated, a light would come on and I get to press a button for a surprise gift!!! WOOOO!!!!! All it took was one diamond to pop out before I hooked up a teleport pipe into the top of this waystation, hooked the other end of that teleport pipe to my quarry off in the midst of nowhere, then sat patiently by the recycler until the light came on, so that I could press the button. ^^

Isn't recycling fun? :D

Rapidfire dispensers (thanks to RP gates) aren't bad either, especially when they open your scrap boxes :3
    I wish RP computing would exist already, I'd so make a fricking counting machine that creates a table from it. I'm so gonna redo this test when we get that, wonder what scrap boxes will give then, if they still exist then...

Edit: also I'll use the deployer nexttime... the dispenser derps about RP current so it only runs half as fast since I have to toggle gate it.

On my install Mining Drill doesn't give off any sounds at all o.o
    Help! Somebody fix that please!
    Wait a sec... damnit.

no idea if he was serious but either way that was damn funny xD

• Edit: after a long counting test of one chest full of scrap boxes (54*64) this came out

I'll bet if you went through and sorted out all the good stuff, you'd find that you could just make it directly for less than what you spent on the scrap boxes. The amount of scrap for 54 stacks of 64 boxes is 31104. That's enough scrap to fabricate 942 UU-M. Odds are pretty good that you could make all the useful results on the list for far less than that (actually, it would take about 1/4th of that to make all of the useful stuff for which a UU-M recipe exists). It does require some investment of power, but the outcome is certain rather than random.

Grab bags are fun, don't get me wrong - but there's too much simply useless crap to make it worthwhile.

• Rapidfire dispensers (thanks to RP gates) aren't bad either, especially when they open your scrap boxes :3
    I wish RP computing would exist already, I'd so make a fricking counting machine that creates a table from it. I'm so gonna redo this test when we get that, wonder what scrap boxes will give then, if they still exist then...

Edit: also I'll use the deployer nexttime... the dispenser derps about RP current so it only runs half as fast since I have to toggle gate it.

actually what I found works well (if you have the additional pipes mod or BC 3.x) is a redstone pipe hooked to 3 max length repeaters. Must be an activated gold pipe but it's enough of a delay to fire the dispenser off when the scrap box gets there.

• Edit: after a long counting test of one chest full of scrap boxes (54*64) this came out

So, going by the rates presented... More common items are worth less, then gold dust is worth less than:

Copper ore
    Steak
    Tin dust
    Coal dust
    Iron dust
    Cake

wow, gold has really dropped in value in Minecraft... Even though you need gold for a lot of things and gold is really scarce compared to Tin, Copper and Iron etc.