[Suggestion]Config option to ban "free" energy generators (Water, wind, solars)

• SMP end with everyone mass solars\wind ignoring any other type of energy sources (water is total crap, it ignored in any case).

With free energy sources banned players will also need option to craft reactor fuel (NOT UUM).

:Energy Crystal: is redstone
    :Rubber: is activated coal
    :Coal Dust: :Coal Dust: :Coal Dust:
    :Coal Dust: :Energy Crystal: :Coal Dust: = :Rubber:
    :Coal Dust: :Coal Dust: :Coal Dust:

:Rubber: :Empty Cell: :Rubber: = :Depleted Cell:

Result is deplited cell per 16 coal.

• The more I think about it, the more I am beginning to see the reasoning behind your suggestion.

No matter how weak "free" energy is, players can always just build bigger and bigger generator arrays. If there were no solar or wind, players would flock to water instead. It allows the creation of "fire-and-forget" power systems that just feed you infinite energy.

That being said, I don't like the idea of banning them outright. It would practically remove the core of this mod. Perhaps if the renewable energy generators had some sort of ongoing cost or risk instead?
    example maintenance cost: Generators containing inverters that wear out every 5 million eu (approx 69.4hrs of continuous operation for a solar panel).
    example risk cost: Outdoor generators getting damaged by thunderstorms. Doesn't happen often, but requires some time spent repairing them when it does.

This would leave renewable energy as far far more efficient than standard generators, but they would still require some ongoing time investment to keep it functional.

• Or make uranium more abundant so it's actually feasible to use nuclear power?

I have 6 uranium BLOCKS. And it is just a biproduct of regular mining.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]

• How about making solar panels collect dust(like snow) that requires you to *sweep* them off every so often.
    Wind mills and water wheels get jammed every XX amount of power/randomly, and require a smack with a wrench(left click preferably) to get them going again.

If we were to have this, I would want the *normal* generators to be a bit more powerful, Ignoring Nuclear, which is quite powerful already.

• I have 6 uranium BLOCKS. And it is just a biproduct of regular mining.

That's only 1.8 billionEU with the highest efficiency sensible reactor, using bucket fillers. I've had more than that with my 577 solars easily, an dhave lots of UU. Uranium is definitely undepowered compared to solars. Solars should need to be maintained, like in real life.

• Worst Idea ever. FIRST YOU DARE COME TO THESE FORUMS AND ASK FOR A CONFIG SO BOTH GROUPS CAN HAVE WHAT THEY WANT??? HOW DARE YOU!!!

Also How dare you consider my 2,000 Solar Panel Array's Considered Cheap and Unfair and Gamebreaking. I can only make 30 stacks of UU Matter in 24 hours :(

All Joking aside. Where is our Configs <3

Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Server .:Here:.
    Check out Our Brand New GT New Horizons Let's Play Series .:Here:.

• WHY DID YOU BUILD SOLARS NOT AT THE HIEGHT LIMIT? D: What happens when you want to build over them? :P

• In the real world, maintenance is required on "free energy" systems. I think the same thing should apply.

Solar panels: Either have a small chance of becoming dirty or a damage value associated with it, either way, it will not produce EU if it's dirty. You can build a squeegee (2 sticks and 3 rubber like a pickaxe) in order to clean the top of the solar panels. There could be an option to allow flowing water to clean them too, but I think that could cause a chance of cracking the panels by rapid cooling.

Wind mills: There is a chance that a "bird" gets caught in the turbine chamber, or whatever explanation you want to give that causes a breakdown. A player must simply click a button in the GUI saying "unclog" or whatever to turn it back on...this maintenance is easy due to the fact that wind farms (in order to be effective) are spread out.

Water mills: The ingredients are wood, so rotting is an issue. There is a chance that these mills will breakdown and require 4 sticks and 4 planks to turn back on. This can be done in the current GUI or have a different one based on if its in the "broken" state or not.

This keeps it out of the "set it and forget it" mindset, and may weigh a decision on players on whether they should stick with the generators they have (and supply it with coal, requiring maintenance) or upgrade them to one of the above (which still requires maintenance but less often).

• Config is a good idea, but also i think there should be option to use more expensive recepie for certain generators to increase challenge.

• I think in the end when I put my cells together. I really think the whole grid could just use with a balance you know nuclear more energy machines and etc use more power some higher tier items. I really think that's the key here. We can produce so much energy and do so little with it.

• That automated cactus farm looks like a better and better idea.

This isn't supposed to be grindcraft; it's supposed to be fun. You want people sweeping solar cells all the time in a compressed time simulation? That's not fun, that's crazy.

• Clearly Cactus is Over powered. How about something like to much crap starts causing the machines to break and you must also repair it! Prevent automatic cactus farms!

• Clearly Cactus is Over powered. How about something like to much crap starts causing the machines to break and you must also repair it! Prevent automatic cactus farms!

Actually it already does that; buildcraft pipes rather suck when it comes to overfull destinations.

However, once again you're loosing sight of the fact that this is a /compressed/ time simulation. All of the boring mundane stuff is supposed to be skipped over since it's just pure grinding and has nearly zero creativity.

• I don't mind sweeping my solars from time to time, but banning of the low power, but free generators is something I oppose strongly.
    I mostly use those, because it bugs me having to babysit all my generators. That's why I rarely use geothermals or Nuclears.

• Actually I wouldn't mind sweeping/cleaning/repairing things in mine/industrial craft. But thats just me. I can understand people who rather wanna grind and build up friggin HUGE setups. Thus just offer a config file to ban certain things. I myself disklike the MiningLaser and thus don't use it and don't want it to be used on my server. Nukes, Nuclear engeneering etcetc are just other things, one might dislike and thus should be bannable my the server admin.

FarFar