Building a power station + distrubution network for SMP! PICTURES ADDED!

• And now I want to build a water tower to supplement my solar flower/windmills. I fogot to upload some screenshots before I headed to to work today. Anyone have some good screenshots of their water tower setup if you have any?

• Ah it is much easier than removing a recipe, if you want to disable crafting of coins, just go into your config, and set it to disable that recipe, you'll see the config option.

Oh, I will take a look when I put my map in the server! Thanks for the info! :) Then I will use the coins.
    And btw, how much is 1 MFSU full of EU's worth? what do you think?

And now I want to build a water tower to supplement my solar flower/windmills. I fogot to upload some screenshots before I headed to to work today. Anyone have some good screenshots of their water tower setup if you have any?

Water tower?
    Pictures of new map is uploading now. The map download will be uploaded later, when I feel that there is anything to show.

EDIT: New pictures in 2. post! Take a look :)

• Official Post

Oh, I will take a look when I put my map in the server! Thanks for the info! :) Then I will use the coins.
    And btw, how much is 1 MFSU full of EU's worth? what do you think?

Your welcome, as to how much 10M eu's is worth, that's a tough one. Depends on your power source. If your primarily going nuclear, then maybe you will want to charge uranium, and charge more than what it costs you ofc, you have to make some profit. If you want a global economy, that's pretty tough, as is if your going solar or windmill. I'll have to think on that one a bit...

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• Water tower?

EDIT: New pictures in 2. post! Take a look :)

Water mills in a tower filled with water. Will help supplement a little bit more and just kinda look cool as well.

Ninja edit: I like the new pics.

Ninja edit two: How do you have the light switches running on a button? Wouldnt that just cycle them on/off for a second? Or am I just being a complete retard?

• And btw, how much is 1 MFSU full of EU's worth? what do you think?

That ENTIRELY depends on the state of the free market you are running. (That is, if you are running a free market and economy model!)

So, say you have a coal based generator. A single charcoal is worth 4,000 EU. A MFSU charged with generators on charcoal is worth 2,500 charcoal.
    Charcoal is made from burning logs. Burning a 2 logs in an induction furnace costs very little (i don't know the exact EU's though) so we can simply ignore that for a large scale operation. What does cost something is the logs themselves. So you set a price on logs and thus a price on charcoal. Say this is 2 IC per log? Then the price of 10,000,000 EU would be 5,000 IC... (78 stacks of coins)
    that isn't very portable now is it? Hence why you need something else (alongside normal coins) and that COULD be another type of coin like gold coin or platinum coin. But since neither of those exist you use a gold ingot. And for even more worth you use diamonds and diamond blocks.

Say a gold ingot is worth 512 coins (8 stacks of charcoal) and a diamond is worth 2,048 coins (4 gold ingots or 32 stacks of charcoal)...
    As charcoal becomes more and more abundant in the economy a single piece of charcoal will become worthless. Then a full stack of charcoal is worth maybe 8 IC. This makes a gold ingot worth 64 stacks of charcoal (given gold is still worth 512 coins)

So initially, in your charcoal power plant, you are paid ~2 diamond and 2 gold ingots and a few stacks of IC for the profit per 10 million EU. (~5,000 IC) but later on as charcoal turns worthless you are paid a single gold ingot and 113 IC for the resource cost and a few stacks of IC for the profit.
    As competing power generating "companies" enter the market you need to reduce your profits and find better ways of making cheap EU's.
    Inevitably someone will strive to make 20 million solar panels to make 5,000 IC per tick... Hence why your world should really get rid of solar panels, wind generators and water generators because it will destroy any economy model you implement. (They are simply unbalanced, some people fail to see this)

Anyways, that was merely a brain dump. Some kind of banker will get a proper economy going. And the more players you have in that economy, the healthier it will get.

Your welcome, as to how much 10M eu's is worth, that's a tough one. Depends on your power source. If your primarily going nuclear, then maybe you will want to charge uranium, and charge more than what it costs you ofc, you have to make some profit. If you want a global economy, that's pretty tough, as is if your going solar or windmill. I'll have to think on that one a bit...

True, I will have 4 sources. Geothermal generators, Nuclear reactors, a few solarpanels, and a BC engine hooked up to a "energy coupler", work like a engine running fuel that is connected to a dynamo.

I think want to take the payment with gold, diamond, iron, and IC2 coins.
    I have planned that every house will be feeded through a MFSU. If someone want ALOT they can get more ofcourse (if they need a rate higher than 512)
    One full MFSU is worth like, one diamond or 4 gold, 8 iron. and the coins. If I disable crafting and start using IC2 coins, i need a proper trading system? Its kinda strange if they can use the ic2 coins only for EU payment?

Water mills in a tower filled with water. Will help supplement a little bit more and just kinda look cool as well.

Ninja edit: I like the new pics.

Ninja edit two: How do you have the light switches running on a button? Wouldnt that just cycle them on/off for a second? Or am I just being a complete retard?

Ooohh, I see. I was thinking about something yesterday. It would be so awesome to have these huge pipes on top of the building, and a lake which is there for nuclear cooling? and out of the building water comes and warnings everywhere which says "Radioactive water - DANGER" haha.
    Maybe that will be my next project :)
    Edit:
    Uhm, about that button. If you use a few days learning about ligic gates. That one I use is a T-flip flop. called "toggle gate" in Red power. WhenI use buttons I can control a signal from diffrent places :)

• They overheat.

I'm also in the process of building a centralized power station, but this one focuses more on renewable power sources (water towers capped by solar collectors). I did plan on having a backup generation system (geothem and buildcraft combustion engines with the conversion mod to convert to EU) but I'm running into an interesting problem with the regulator.

It's still in prototype stages so I havn't gotten around to making the building to hold it all, but here's my question:

I'm using EU Detector and EU Splitter cables to charge batteries in serial (instead of parallell). The idea being that the system should be capable of activing the non-renewable power generation systems only when the batteries get low, but the problem i'm running into has to do with how detector cables work.

When not draining the batteries, the detector cable is able to tell when a battery is full and activate the next splitter in the line to start charging the next battery.
    When not charging the batteries, the detector cable is able to tell when a battery is drained and will activate the previous splitter in the line to start draining the previous battery.
    However when charging *and* draining (charging the system under load when output is less than input) the detector cable is unable to detect that the battery is full because current continues to run through the battery. The total charging current simply drops to the output rate of the whole system and it doesn't send the excess current over to the next battery or signal that total current has dropped. The only way to get the system to start charging the next battery is to temporarily halt output from the station so the storage battery realizes it's full so it can trigger the switch to the next battery in line.

Would this make any more sense with pictures?

Does anyone know a method I could use to do this without running into the charging-under-load problem I've got?

• They overheat.

Nope, broad and sweeping statement from someone who doesn't know the mod well there. Redstone engines *can't* overheat as long as they have work to do, such as say... running a pump.
    I've got 2 pumps in my world that are powered by redstone engines, all of which have been stable for a very long time.

• Nope, broad and sweeping statement from someone who doesn't know the mod well there. Redstone engines *can't* overheat as long as they have work to do, such as say... running a pump.
    I've got 2 pumps in my world that are powered by redstone engines, all of which have been stable for a very long time.

Ha!
    Restone engines CAN'T overheat (Explode) unless they are fed by another engine. Leaving a redstone engine alone and powered will make it turn red and have it's max potential energy stored. It will not explode unless fed energy by another BC compatible engine. Unreachable code for Redstone engines until being fed energy externally.

Redstone engines CAN explode even when attached to a quarry IF they are fed power from say a combustion engine. They can only release 1 MJ of energy per revolution and the combustion engine will feed it 125 MJ per revolution on fuel.

BC engines only explode when they have 100% energy/heat stored in them. And redstone engines only check for this condition when fed energy externally.

• Pictures will be nice.

I have reading about that problem too. either you can charge --> discharge -->charge (and so on). This way that detector cable can tell you when to run the "backup generators".

I should experiment a little more an see what I can come up with :)

Btw, I'm sorry to not post any pictures this time, but I had alot of ideas so I have been playing more on other worlds than this build..
    but, happy new year, may this be the best industrialised year ever! :D

EDIT:
    I did just do some testing! Need more testing ofcourse!
    When batt. 2 runs out the backup generators starts running! And when batt.2 is full, the backup generators gets disconnected.
    The main problem is that even if the primary generators can keep up, there will still go EU's from batt. 2
    Maybe this can be solved with using 3 sets of batteries?
    I will test more when I get time :)

• I know RP2 is looking into adding a computer block into her mod, using assembly. But in the meantime if you know, or want to learn LUA give this a shot. It IS compatible with RP2!! COMPUTERCRAFT

It would be a great addition to any powerplant IMHO.

• I know RP2 is looking into adding a computer block into her mod, using assembly. But in the meantime if you know, or want to learn LUA give this a shot. It IS compatible with RP2!! COMPUTERCRAFT

It would be a great addition to any powerplant IMHO.

Ive added that mod, and I just added ligistick pipes (BC addon) You know of a good guide for begginers? I have only created BASIC scripts with batch files...
    I'm using Direwolf20 config files for block ID's.

The bad thing is that my C drive broke and I was running a freshly instaled windows install so I had no backup system...
    All my files is lost... And I do hate that Minecraft can't be installed on a drive other than that one Windows is installed on.. But I'm not going to put the fail on MC, since I didn't take any backups...

I am hoping to start rebuilding a powerstation at some point. But this time I will wait until I am done with posting pictures.

I will edit the first post WHEN I feel for uploading new pictures. And I will also edit the second post.
    My idea now is to create diffrent houses. one for nuclear power, one for geothermal, one for distrubution, you get the point :)

• And I do hate that Minecraft can't be installed on a drive other than that one Windows is installed on..

Make a folder on your other drive. Put minecraft.exe there. Create a batch file with this text, in the same folder:

Code
    set APPDATA=%CD%
    minecraft

Run it, and it will make another .minecraft folder where the batch file and minecraft.exe are. It'll use this .minecraft folder whenever you use the batch file to start Minecraft.

Disappointed with the bugs and nerfedness of AtomicStryker Corp's Advanced Machines, and the unupdatedness of Snyke's Enterprises?
    Need low-lag renewable power?
    Come to ImmTech Intragalactical this thread for free UUM!

Note: UUM may stand for Unnerfed Unbuggy Updated Machines and may not be actual UUM. The extra U was lost due to a bit error.
    Battery snot included.

• Ive added that mod, and I just added ligistick pipes (BC addon) You know of a good guide for begginers? I have only created BASIC scripts with batch files...

Well, I don't know too much about LUA. There are a bunch of files HERE to give you an idea on how it works. Which is what ive been doing. There are enormous capabilities with this.. I even saw one program that created a network between other computers using lua.

• ever thought of going CASUC for the reactors? it is the max posible efficiency for an reactor. so maximizes your profit.

if you like to know how to do it, pm me.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Make a folder on your other drive. Put minecraft.exe there. Create a batch file with this text, in the same folder:

Code
    set APPDATA=%CD%
    minecraft

Run it, and it will make another .minecraft folder where the batch file and minecraft.exe are. It'll use this .minecraft folder whenever you use the batch file to start Minecraft.

Didn't know about that! Thank you!

Well, I don't know too much about LUA. There are a bunch of files HERE to give you an idea on how it works. Which is what ive been doing. There are enormous capabilities with this.. I even saw one program that created a network between other computers using lua.

Thank's! I have basicly been screwing with others programs and I have almost explaned to myself how they work, what function they use and at least I find that very usefull! I have now created a control room. I do still have buttons and light indicators. But I find that more easy, if something goes wrong, I need to act fast, and typing on a computer is to slow at the moment...

Anyway, I have used a computer to controll client's power flow and to open service doors and stuff like that!
    If I turn on the computer I will get a message:
    "Client's switch network and service door opener loading!"
    Type dis-con to change a clien'ts power supply, or type Doors to open or close a door.

dis-con is not working yet but I can open my service door!Den I do like this
    Type "Doors" then push enter
    I get a list of which doors I can use.
    I type "Service-Door" and push enter
    Then I choose betwin close or open
    then it repeat the whole prossess!

ever thought of going CASUC for the reactors? it is the max posible efficiency for an reactor. so maximizes your profit.

if you like to know how to do it, pm me.

I do now wan't Ice cooled reactors, I have been studing this reactor and I think I will use the same design or something.
    My current plans is to produce around 20k EU/T ... And if nessecery my battery and trafo's can output 30kEU/T to the users.

• Are these multiple programs? Or did you build this all into one? I would be interested to see your script if you care to share it.

• Are these multiple programs? Or did you build this all into one? I would be interested to see your script if you care to share it.

It is one sript.
    it works this way:
    Print a few sentences (Loading, and a short "how to" use guide)
    Then it will way for the first keyword (I just named it keyword)
    If the first keyword is "Doors" It will print a new text, and then wait for keyword 2
    If keyword 2 is "Service-Door" it will print a new text and wait for keyword 3
    If keyword 3 is "Open" It will print a text and active a redstone signal (Which goes through bundled cable)
    Or if keyword 3 is "close" it will print an other text and deactive the redstone signal.
    Disconnecting users will work the same way, but with diffrent text's and A lot more of options!
    The way i did this is to draw a "flow schematics". Don't know the english word.
    I will post the script when I have added a few more lines! And I'm currently away from my computer! And I think I will be this weekend..

EDIT:
    Script:

Not perfect, will clean it up and such later!
    If you need explonations, tell me! :)