[Suggestion] Non-electric device repair in MC 1.0

• I have seen the blog post where Alblaka said that IC2 tools would be non-repairable and non-enchantable, but I wonder if this only applied to electric tools (Chainsaw, Drill, Diamond Drill, and the prospective possible electric wrench, hoe, etc).

This makes a lot of sense for electric tools, as cannibalizing 2 electric drills to get more battery power in one of them seems so undesirable that it would not be worth the effort of implementing the possibility.

The bronze wrench and all the bronze tools seem to be in the correct vein for repair at least, assuming my understanding that repairing just adds the uses remaining is correct.

Enchanting a wrench might not make a lot of sense, but combining two half-used wrenches into a better one might.

Thanks for reading.

• Because this is a technology mod - things are done with machines and science, not magic.
    We're living the inverse corrolary of Clarke's Axiom.

• why exactly enchanting has to be disabled for the normal tools/swords?

It is to avoid the possibility of bugs or balance issues with IC2 items being enchanted. Allegedly there is no way to disable enchanting on only certain items yet.

'Wait! What does that mean?! I can't panic properly unless I know what that means!'
    'Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and... I went ahead anyway.'

• It is to avoid the possibility of bugs or balance issues with IC2 items being enchanted. Allegedly there is no way to disable enchanting on only certain items yet.

ah okay.

i didnt think that it would be too difficult to make a difference between the normal tools and the added tools tho;
    since enchantments already make a difference between certain items. like swords (sword-enchantments) and tools (tool-enchantments)

• I'm having a hard time thinking of any enchanted item that IC2 doesn't already have a much better replacement for, anyway.

Maybe a pick with fortune? (just build another miner or two...) Looting or knockback on weapons is the only other one.

• True, non-electric tools will stay repairable (though enchanting will be disabled by default for anything, still).

Why not leave enchanting, at least until you have a more appropriate version of it. I can understand disabling it for the power tools but removing it entirely doesn't seem to make that much sense until there's a replacement.

• We've already offered answers to that question in the posts above yours.
    Magic makes no sense in a technology mod. They should be mutually exclusive.

• We've already offered answers to that question in the posts above yours.
    Magic makes no sense in a technology mod. They should be mutually exclusive.

I disagree. I could give you a large list of excellent books that combine magic and technology in one universe.

• Yes, I'm aware of stuff like ElfPunk - but that's not what we're playing here. I'm sure someone's done a Final Fantasy mod or something.

Basically, if I want magic, I'll play vanilla MC. I prefer tech, which is why I play the mods I do. Until now, it's been free of magic - I see no need to introduce it now.

• I disagree. I could give you a large list of excellent books that combine magic and technology in one universe.

Same here, though I've found that the tech and magic usually oppose each other. Not true in all cases, I know.

• Yes, I'm aware of stuff like ElfPunk - but that's not what we're playing here. I'm sure someone's done a Final Fantasy mod or something.

Basically, if I want magic, I'll play vanilla MC. I prefer tech, which is why I play the mods I do. Until now, it's been free of magic - I see no need to introduce it now.

Ok, I understand that. I personally would never use it anyway (and personally have no idea why bronze tools and armor is in the mod to start with) but I have to note that noone would be forcing you to use the enchantment in this case.

I suppose If I wanted us to get off topic, I could mentiune how this mod actually adds a bunch of magic artifacts, Because everyone knows that "sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology", and "Anything that science can do magic can do, and vice-versa"

• My main issue with disabling enchantments is that it's basicly the same thing as making it so your mod doesn't work with another, I can understand tweaking enchantments but just outright denying everyone enchantments just because we like to use IC seems a bit much.

• My main issue with disabling enchantments is that it's basicly the same thing as making it so your mod doesn't work with another, I can understand tweaking enchantments but just outright denying everyone enchantments just because we like to use IC seems a bit much.

I agree. A mod should add to the vanilla experience, not remove anything. I think this is more of a balance issue as electric weapons/tools can be recharged so I agree with Al's comment on electric tools not being enchantable (or buffed for the non magically inclined). Standard breakable tools and vanilla tools should still be enchantable though.

Of course it's easy for us to say all this but the IC team has to implement it. I don't know how ugly the code is around enchanting so that may be a factor in why they're looking at disabling it (we're also assuming Al's comment meant everything including vanilla items which can be a dangerous assumption too).

For my part, knock back has saved my ass from a sneaky creeper more than once!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

• Knockback can be done by sprinting anyway, the enchant just does it passively. (unless it like knocks them to the moon or something)

And the only thing I expect to be enchantable would just be the basic non-chargable tools and armor.

• Knockback can be done by sprinting anyway, the enchant just does it passively. (unless it like knocks them to the moon or something)

And the only thing I expect to be enchantable would just be the basic non-chargable tools and armor.

Fine with me, like i said in my first post I can understand the balancing issue with power tools and understand if they are made to be unenchantable.

I was referring to those times when you're otherwise occupied and you hear the hissssss behind you...no time to run

I agree on the non-chargeable tools and armor though, otherwise it would be too over powered.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt

• I was referring to those times when you're otherwise occupied and you hear the hissssss behind you...no time to run

I agree on the non-chargeable tools and armor though, otherwise it would be too over powered.

That is true. It takes practice to be able to do an instant-sprint-punch to remove a creeper from your vicinity, even with that mod that makes ctrl apply sprint.

• I suppose If I wanted us to get off topic, I could mentiune how this mod actually adds a bunch of magic artifacts, Because everyone knows that "sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology", and "Anything that science can do magic can do, and vice-versa"

Clarke's Axiom - I believe I mentioned earlier that this mod is essentially an inverse corrolary of that. The correct statement is "any suffciiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - so we already have our "magic items", they don't need enchantment too.

If a guy is wearing armor that lets him breathe water, run faster than a minecart and jump 30 feet in the air, and he carries a magical pick that never breaks, isn't he already "magical" enough? I simply don't see the necessity of even having enchantments in a technology mod.