Power Conversion

• I like BC-IC2 Crossover mod, simply because they are engines that instead of using coal or oil or fuel to power themselves, they use EU as their fuel, And its only logical that the higher tiers of generators should overheat due to the massive amount of energy they produce and pump per revolution.

Its a mix of both IC2 and BC instead of just being IC2 on top of Buildcraft.

And one thing i would like to add, its that i actually hate how conversion has been going in a 1:1 ratio, being a good follower of the church of balance i still think there should be a 5 or 10% power loss during energy conversion (but thats just me).

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Silentdeth's implementation is outstanding. It manages to maintain the flavor of both.
    Forestry is also a very nice hybrid. It works by itself, with BC, with IC2, or with both, but you get to the most out of it with all 3 mods installed. That in and of itself makes it awesome.

I still would like to see a straight IC2 on top of Buildcraft (transformer that outputs Mj) although BC is starting to grow on me too.

I agree about some (not necessarily the amount) loss but bear in mind there already is loss; you need to provide and power a pump.
    So the heat production is your loss.

• Between Silentdeth's BC-IC Crossover, and PowerCrystals' Power Converters, 2-way conversion between BC and IC is pretty well covered.

• Between Silentdeth's BC-IC Crossover, and PowerCrystals' Power Converters, 2-way conversion between BC and IC is pretty well covered.

Actually Silentdeth crossover mod also cover plain MJ to EU conversion but the machine for it its kinda weird. if you hook the petrochemical generator to a MJ Energy Network (Power Pipes/Engines), it will feed energy to it and when it reaches a certain threshold it will send the accumulated energy to the nearest EU storage/Cable.

• I tend to use the Energy Link, PetroGen, and Engine Generators the most out of all the stuff in the mods. But the Lava Fabricator is nice too.
    I'm hoping Pigalot gets Bucket Filler updated for 1.1 and then I can get the WaterGen back in, too.

• Power Converter mod should be being worked on again.
    TehKrush had to for IC2 to update to 1.1 before he could start working on it.
    So my fav way to convert power should be 1.1 within a week or two :) (I hope)

• agreed, i think there should be scaling with power, but as for losses.... if you want to introduce more real world physics, fine, but I know there are many who wouldn't want it.

Hell, prove me wrong, Happy to be so 99% of the time, then I can learn stuff :)

• agreed, i think there should be scaling with power, but as for losses.... if you want to introduce more real world physics, fine, but I know there are many who wouldn't want it.

You can be sure than when the day comes where i have a awesome mod like RP2 or IC2, i will introduce my real world physics in it and you all will have to play according to MY RULES MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA*cough cough*... /i jest

• Well, I liked the BC-IC2 Crossover mod, but it's incompatible with Equivalent Exchange for some arcane reason that has something to do with the way EE saves block IDs, and I'm too deep into my LP to ditch EE. On the good news side, it appears that TehKrush of Plasticraft fame has picked up MFR, so maybe he'll be nice and update Power Converters for us. Who knows.

• Well, I liked the BC-IC2 Crossover mod, but it's incompatible with Equivalent Exchange for some arcane reason that has something to do with the way EE saves block IDs, and I'm too deep into my LP to ditch EE. On the good news side, it appears that TehKrush of Plasticraft fame has picked up MFR, so maybe he'll be nice and update Power Converters for us. Who knows.

Odd. I have the IB build of the IC2-BC Crossover and EE and they work fine together. :huh:

looked at the page lately? it's been updated for several days now.

• Yes, but only for the BC 2.x branch - which fewer people are using now.
    The BC 3.x-compatible version is on hold until BC3 moves out of alpha and has SMP support.

So a lot of people are still waiting. I might have stayed with BC 2, but Forestry prompted me to adopt the alpha.

I have EE 6.22 and BC-IC Crossover installed with no apparent issues - but I've yet to use any of the components of the add-on so there may be issues of which I'm unaware. But the mods themselves can be installed together, all it takes is changing one block ID if necessary.

• Yes, but only for the BC 2.x branch - which fewer people are using now.
    The BC 3.x-compatible version is on hold until BC3 moves out of alpha and has SMP support.

So a lot of people are still waiting. I might have stayed with BC 2, but Forestry prompted me to adopt the alpha.

I have EE 6.22 and BC-IC Crossover installed with no apparent issues - but I've yet to use any of the components of the add-on so there may be issues of which I'm unaware. But the mods themselves can be installed together, all it takes is changing one block ID if necessary.

ah, I just use Forestry's electric engines for my BC power needs. Ratio isn't as good as some other mods (6 EU for 2 MJ instead of 5 for 2) but it's there and it gets updated pretty quick.

• The Forestry electric engines are good for on-the-spot usage, which of course means they need their own dedicated on-site power supply (like a small solar flower or array).
    But they only fill one niche - they're not good for more robust field applications like a Quarry. This is where things like the Energy Link come in handy - or the Engine Generators from PowerConverters when using a multi-Miner setup.
    But the electric engines from the Crossover are ideal for fixed powerplants that can supply power on-site (or remotely via teleport pipes).

So I prefer to have both add-ons. Like Jayne says "I get kinda excitable as to my options".

• The Forestry electric engines are good for on-the-spot usage, which of course means they need their own dedicated on-site power supply (like a small solar flower or array).
    But they only fill one niche - they're not good for more robust field applications like a Quarry. This is where things like the Energy Link come in handy - or the Engine Generators from PowerConverters when using a multi-Miner setup.
    But the electric engines from the Crossover are ideal for fixed powerplants that can supply power on-site (or remotely via teleport pipes).

So I prefer to have both add-ons. Like Jayne says "I get kinda excitable as to my options".

"on the spot"? not really, i've powered quarries fine with the forestry electric. Just stuffed them in the basement hooked to power and used power teleport pipes.
    need 4 for decent speed out of a quarry but at the point where I start building them 24 EU/t isn't too huge.
    hell, in my single player world i've got two "power plants" for different purposes. (one for a quarry one for floating stuff like a pump)
    i'm just a bit of a stickler for control though, I don't like using excess power where I don't have to.
    though the power converters and engine converters from the power mod do a decent (if slightly lossy) job of teleporting power.

• ["on the spot"? not really, i've powered quarries fine with the forestry electric. Just stuffed them in the basement hooked to power and used power teleport pipes.

You'll need more than 4 of them to get the Quarry up to a decent speed. If you're using off-site power, you're better off doing so with larger engines. I use a bank of 3-4 combustion engines, or when using IC power I prefer a large or industrial engine.

The only suitable purpose I've found for a single Forestry electric engine is, in fact, for a single Forestry machine. If this is my selected means for providing power, I'm not going to waste materials teleporting 5 EU/t in.

If you're concerned with energy loss, stick with redstone engines to power pumps - 4 of them are sufficient for full volume.

• I Actually power a quarry using Redstone-Engines :P

It's more for testing purpose. I'm actually at 32 Redstone-Engines, but will go further until I reach max speed.

• I Actually power a quarry using Redstone-Engines :P

It's more for testing purpose. I'm actually at 32 Redstone-Engines, but will go further until I reach max speed.

To me that seems like a waste of materials. Unless your using something like EE that wouldn't be the best way to go.

• To me that seems like a waste of materials. Unless your using something like EE that wouldn't be the best way to go.

how is it a waste? wood is *cheap* and a redstone engine only needs one iron and redstone dust per. The glass is ultimately renewable as well.

as to the redstone engines on a quarry: you'll never get it up to full speed with redstone engines. Just after the 2.x update I did something similar only a *lot* more massive. (I think it was like 10x10 or something massive like that)