Overclockers OP

• v1.62 - 8 overclockers can run off copper cables for less than a second per cycle, oops, I'm guessing this needs a tweak.

Edit: just noticed 1.63 release!

• Hmm... 8 Overclockers mean 8times faster and 25times more energy-consuming.

There are two possible calculations:

First a macerating-process takes 625 EU, with 2 EU/t this would mean the process takes about 300ticks (should be 15seconds).

If the overall consumption the process needs is increased by 30% for each upgrade we have a 32EU/t limit (if not updated I guess).

8 times fast would mean we a cycle of 37,5 ticks. 25 times more energy-consuming means 15625 EU. This would be 416,7 EU/t

The more basic calculation would just mean, that the macerator instead of consuming 2 EU/t consumings 50 EU/t which would mean that the process would need 1875 EU instead of the normal 625 EU. I haven't tried much with it, but I guess the second calculation is the one used, which really kicks ass, because you are 8 times fast but only 3 times more energy-consuming.

• Not quite what I ment, I was saying that 8 overclockers will (did) run on a copper cable (32/tick) and I only added one battery mod. Making less than a second processing time, which kind of made me not want bother making the transformer upgrade (which I guess lets me run it on gold+2Ins cable safly?).

• I told them this way of implementation is stupid :O Would have preferred my tiered, unstackable overclockers.

Though I have yet to use them, I would have preferred it that way as well.
    Perhaps in an upcoming version that can be implemented, with legacy recipes for the old ones. Like 8 of them around a circuit gives the Tier 2 version; 8 Tier 2s around an advanced circuit gives the Tier 3.

• You could easily do two things:

First switch to addition from multiplikation. Second modify the value the process needs.

So actually it seems to modify the per Tick value the machines consume. But since a macerator basically needs 625 EU spread out to be 2 EU/t it should increase the 625 EU by 50% and not the 2EU/t. Because as you speed up the process you need less time, which cuts down some of the energy-cost-increases.

• Though I have yet to use them, I would have preferred it that way as well.
    Perhaps in an upcoming version that can be implemented, with legacy recipes for the old ones. Like 8 of them around a circuit gives the Tier 2 version; 8 Tier 2s around an advanced circuit gives the Tier 3.

Each tier should also be more energy efficient. Else tier 3 is unusable XD. It would drain too much energy.

• Official Post

I told them this way of implementation is stupid :O Would have preferred my tiered, unstackable overclockers.

Well here's the deal guys, first we implemented Al's idea on Tiered, but then we wanted more overclocking capabilities, so the idea of stackable upgrades came up, I know that Player and I supported it, didn't really hear much on anyone opposed. As far as balancing, I think that they will be more expensive. I do personally like this solution better, and I don't see it going away, perhaps balance them more if needed.

Also the tiered solution would have been limited on overclocking because of no way to upgrade storage and maxinput.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• Well here's the deal guys, first we implemented Al's idea on Tiered, but then we wanted more overclocking capabilities, so the idea of stackable upgrades came up, I know that Player and I supported it, didn't really hear much on anyone opposed. As far as balancing, I think that they will be more expensive. I do personally like this solution better, and I don't see it going away, perhaps balance them more if needed.

Also the tiered solution would have been limited on overclocking because of no way to upgrade storage and maxinput.

Just making things expensive doesnt seem much on balancing, specially when you reach the point that you produce more materials than you actually need. And what was the problem of doing tiered modules again? Lack of space or something? (Because overclockers would have taken all the space?) If that was the case why not increase the space for upgrade using another module?

When i get my ideas straight i will post my take on how a tiered system would have been (Or better said, how would i have made it, although since im not wise on minecraft coding i dont exactly know much about the limitations).

• ]Just making things expensive doesnt seem much on balancing, specially when you reach the point that you produce more materials than you actually need. And what was the problem of doing tiered modules again? Lack of space or something? (Because overclockers would have taken all the space?) If that was the case why not increase the space for upgrade using another module?

When i get my ideas straight i will post my take on how a tiered system would have been (Or better said, how would i have made it, although since im not wise on minecraft coding i dont exactly know much about the limitations).

Agreed on the more expensive doesn't make things balancing angle. "Equivalent" Exchange is a prime example of a balance system gone wrong, just making things more expensive just puts things off until late game when they're not really needed anymore.
    I sorta like the idea of tiered upgrades somewhat better but if they're non-stackable than 4 slots isn't going to be enough to get much extra speed out of a machine. (unless the tiers do more?)

• Official Post

I sorta like the idea of tiered upgrades somewhat better but if they're non-stackable than 4 slots isn't going to be enough to get much extra speed out of a machine. (unless the tiers do more?)

Exactly, unless you start making multipurpose items, such as a combo to speed and input, then you would have to have too many slots, in addition to a hoard of new items, sprites, and recipes, which reminds me of micro-blocks in RP, at least in the recipes area. There are reasons that I was in favor of the stackable upgrades, as soon as Player introduced the idea to me, it was a no-brainer IMHO.

It sounds like we just need to up the amount of power used, right?

• Official Post

I still think being able to put a stack of 64 of an upgrade into a machine is silly, no matter what the expense or cost.

Why? I don't see it as "silly" at all. Mind explaining?

• Why? I don't see it as "silly" at all. Mind explaining?

Excuse the wording:

-Oh i want my machine to run faster, maybe i should just buy 64 procesors and stick them right in, that should make it faster!

-Meh not enough space, oh i know 64 hard-drives of 1 gb each will give me 64gb, Sounds like a plan!

-Etc, etc.

:P

• Official Post

Since when do we compare the real world with Minecraft xD