Suggestion: Reinforced Slabs

• Basically, they are just slabs but have a similar texture and hardness as reinforced stone. Right now, the closest thing we have is the stone slab, and that is still a very different look. Also, our stairs should be as strong as our houses, right? What if a creeper swarm gets into your house and all of your weapons are on the second floor?

Ridiculous example, I know.

Recipe:

R R R = 6 S

R = Reinforced Stone
    S = Reinforced Slab

Just like all the other slabs, except you get 6. I never understood why you only got 3. You are literally cutting the block in half. Why does the other half just disappear?

Also, as an alternative recipe:

T T T
    T A T = 8 S
    T T T

T = Stone Slab
    A = Advanced Alloy
    S = Reinforced Slab

Much more wasteful, but if you have spare stone slabs, this may be the recipe for you.

Anyway, please implement this if it isn't too much trouble.

• I would further suggest reinforced stone pressure plates, being identical to stone pressure plates in all ways except texture; stone ones just look ugly in IC houses

• I would further suggest reinforced stone pressure plates, being identical to stone pressure plates in all ways except texture; stone ones just look ugly in IC houses

Agreed, but maybe the reinforced plates should only be activated by the player, no mobs or animals. I really like this idea.

Thinking about it, I think Al may lean towards this one and stack the reinforced stone items under one ID.

• you might look into the mod betterblock.
    It allows you to make slabs and stairs for almost all types of blocks and fences and ladders out of several other types of materials.
    It also lets you place stairs and slabs upside-down on ceiling and you can place wood horizontal to make log cabins or large roof trusses.
    It has normal and hidden doors/trapdoors for several different textures as well and gates for fences.
    It also adds a bridge block that will extend a bridge of whatever material you put in the bridge block out to as much as 9 blocks when redstone is applied.
    And best of all, it uses all of the information already in minecraft so it won't use any extra sprites(except for the bridge block)
    From my testing so far, it doesn't have compatibility issues with any other mod out there.

Here is a link to the forum page for it.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/…-july-11-betterblocks-37/

Oh yeah and one of the things he is trying to add right now is diagonal fences and doors. Maybe slant blocks as well not sure about that...

• I'm not sure how this will help though. I'm not huge for having 9001 different types of slabs, it's just that reinforced stone currently doesn't have any block that allows for easy change of elevation, and a reinforced slab would not only match the look of a house, but it would allow for the house to remain explosion proof.

• Great Idea!
    Hope this is implemented!

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

• I want to bring this thread back up (so I'm not making a new thread over a previously discussed idea).

I really don't want to just continue using the Stone Slab because it just... is completely out of place in terms of the coloring. And re-texturing isn't going to help because then it gets the regular stone buildings to look weird.

• Official Post

Actually RStone is exclusively meant to be a shielding block, not exactly the material people should build they're entire house of...
    The main problem would be additional BlockID usage, unless we manage to code stairs, slabs and blocks into the RStone blockID itself... which could be a slight challenge...

• Well it's not like this is a priority or something, so you could just keep it sort-of on the back-burner for something to code when you're not feeling like working on other things... but if not, that's fine too.

• Official Post

Well it's not like this is a priority or something, so you could just keep it sort-of on the back-burner for something to code when you're not feeling like working on other things... but if not, that's fine too.

Quite this.
    Currently i would rather like to spend my time on debugging RubberBoots and Jetpack for SMP usage. Suicidal falldamages are NOT nice.

• Out of curiosity, I wonder if Eleron (Redpower mod creator) used separate Block IDs for all those vertical slabs, covers, pillars, and molding or if he/she managed to put them all under the Block ID of the whole version of the block.

• Out of curiosity, I wonder if Eleron (Redpower mod creator) used separate Block IDs for all those vertical slabs, covers, pillars, and molding or if he/she managed to put them all under the Block ID of the whole version of the block.

(insert facepalm here)**
    obviously, he/she only used a few, since there are only 255 block IDs possible in the first place, along with the fact that 100 or so of them are allready used by vanilla items, and he/she uses a bunch* for other parts of his/her Red power mod...

*actually not that many
    **divide that by zero, thats how I feel when I read this question.

• more then 255 is possible but require hurge baseclass modification, many things have hardcoded limit.

That's the point of MCforge, duh?
    MCforge thread says:

- Infinite terrain and sprite indexes

• But it does NOT say infinite block IDs. Terrain sprite indices are the pictures that go on blocks, they are not the ID for the block itself. Block IDs are very, very limited. With clever tricks you can make as many as 16 blocks share the same block ID, but still the ceiling is very low. There are only ~125 block IDs that Mojang isn't already using at this point in the later pre-releases, and that number will shrink further by release day. Call it 100 free block IDs. And certain things require a fresh block ID for each instance : if you wanted to have an item tha glows with different llight levels, it needs to use a different ID for each light level.

• Official Post

It's as followed:

1 ID can contain anything possible
    16 Blocks via Meta can contain quite different things, but must all share some basic attributes stored via ID
    Inf. Blocks via TE can contain slight changes, but are severly limited by the metadata.

The problem is, most stuff is hardcoded to ID's. Otherwise you could effectively meta-store every block.

Reinforced things share all the same attributes, except for rendering. Rendering can be made meta-using, thus it's possible to code all Reinforced Blocks (cept doors) into a single block. I can do it, Eloraam can do it, probably SpaceToad as well, etc.
    It just takes time and debugging though ^^'

• I would love you forever if you manage to do it, the concept of reinforced stairs, slabs, and such would be amazing. I've built some epic reactors from solely the reinforced blocks, would be a nice touch to edit and add onto them using stairs/slabs.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."