[Suggestion] Extend Tesla coil range??

• I was thinking it would be really cool if Tesla coils had a more feasible range? I would love to build a giant nuclear powered wall of them but you end up putting them every few blocks :(.
    Also the textures could be made cooler I guess...

I kind of feel the Tesla coil is a tiny bit neglected, which is a shame because they are so awesome.

• They could go the route of the Forcefield add-on, and allow for new blocks to be placed that add certain effects.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• Official Post

They could go the route of the Forcefield add-on, and allow for new blocks to be placed that add certain effects.

* Still tinkering with the implementation of the ForceField Addon into core IC².
    From http://www.industrial-craft.net/

Or add the addon itself :P

• The ranges seems to be two blocks. Which seems to be a fair. Increasing the range could create nasty side-effects. And I guess they are not meant to create walls and since they kill the player too, it is normally much easier to build real walls, with piston-doors (which achieves much the same).

• The ranges seems to be two blocks. Which seems to be a fair. Increasing the range could create nasty side-effects. And I guess they are not meant to create walls and since they kill the player too, it is normally much easier to build real walls, with piston-doors (which achieves much the same).

Range in 1.43 is 4 blocks. I have personally verified this several times while my quantum armour was in the charging bench. Haven't built them under 1.64 yet.

To OP: One coil every 9 blocks isn't a killer IMO and it's reasonably realistic. Look at RL tesla coils and you'll see they're actually quite short range. What you're after is real lightning which of course requires 1.21 gigawatts. Not sure what that is in EU but it's probably a lot more than the 50K a Tesla stores.

I think there IS room though for some OC style addons. Increase the storage and add a range extender for example. Have to remember though that the power requirement increases with the cube of the distance so every extra +1 range is a LOT more EU required.

GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment or chain letter? This is left as an exercise for the reader.

Efficiency 3, 50% duty cycle. SMP friendly. Alternate two of them slowly with an rp2 sequencer for a steady 120 EU/t.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

Well, there is a very effective but inefficient way of making a wall that can kill. Just make a HV line surrounding your base, then use the wire cutters to expose the wire. There you have it, A HV exposed line that on touching will electrocute anything that touches it.

• Well, there is a very effective but inefficient way of making a wall that can kill. Just make a HV line surrounding your base, then use the wire cutters to expose the wire. There you have it, A HV exposed line that on touching will electrocute anything that touches it.

Why not just make plain HV wire? No need for wire cutters.

• Official Post

Why not just make plain HV wire? No need for wire cutters.

The only problem about it is the high EU/t loss due distance :(

I would like to see an electric fence or something like (or the ic² MFFS addon integrated to core, it is so cool :P)

• Will be any real EU loss if cable connected to nothing?
    Can damage be detected if cable connected to something?

There needs to be energy flowing. A cable between two full MFSU should not hurt you, since no energy is flowing, but also it does not lose energy. So you lose energy if you want to hurt something, since in this case the receiving MFSU needs to be empty or at least not full.

• Official Post

So damage done by current, not voltage.

Actually both, damage is calculated by voltage, damage is applied when there is a current.
    LV deals less damage than MV that deals less than HV that deals less than EV , this making EV extremely deadly (if you touch a cable passing EV unarmored, you die in 2 or 3 damage ticks)

• Actually both, damage is calculated by voltage, damage is applied when there is a current.
    LV deals less damage than MV that deals less than HV that deals less than EV , this making EV extremely deadly (if you touch a cable passing EV unarmored, you die in 2 or 3 damage ticks)

Tin cable cannot handle more than 5 EU, but can damage somehow. In Wiki 1 point of damage is 64 EU. How can it be?

• I did get damaged by tin, sometimes happened while I was wiring my Windmills in SSP. Simply restarting MC fixed it for me.

• I already did this, and I have it running on my server. Been playing with this for a month now.

Placing bare wires on a tesla coil extends the range, because they act like antenna. They extend the range in only THAT direction.

The type of wire affects the range boost : bare copper is 1.5 times range, gold is double range, bare HV cable is 3x range.

The VOLTAGE you send to the tesla coil affects how much energy can be stored in it.

If you send a tesla lv, it can store 10k EU. If you send it mv, it can store 100k EU. If you send it HV, it can store 250k EU. If you send it extreme voltage (2095 per packet) it can store 1 million EU.

The range and damage both scale with energy stored. Also, the energy draw of the coil goes up with energy stored. (even if the coil is not receiving a redstone signal, it "bleeds energy" away like a capacitor). The scaling is the square root of the stored energy.

At 10k EU stored, the range is 4 blocks, with range boosted to 12 blocks with antenna. At 1 million EU stored, the range goes as high as FIFTY BLOCKS and it does enough damage to threaten someone in quantum armor. Note that all energy stored will be discharged if ANYTHING living enters that 50 block area, so it is not as unbalanced as it sounds because a monster can set your tesla coil off prematurely and cost you 1 million EU.

If a player is hit by an overcharged tesla, the effect for a lightning bolt is played. Is quite dramatic in multiplayer.

So you can use the teslas as they are now, or construct "lightning generators" with banks of MFSU, lots of wiring, etc.

• Seems good.
    So how much EU needed for full charged Quantum-suited player to be damaged/killed?

2-3 hits at full charge, so at least 2-3 million EU. In actuality, it takes more, because you had to know they were coming and trigger the tesla when they got there. I tuned it to work with my nerfed quantum armor that takes 4x damage over default. (which still makes it the best armor in the game by far, just not godlike)

Or set up a trap in such a way that mobs won't set it off prematurely.

It is not at all easy to do. But it sure makes an awesome sound when it hits someone with a full charge. Also, it works against airplanes.