[Suggestion] Gieger Counter

• I was looking around at the forum, and I'm surprised nobody has posted something about this yet. I've been doing a lot of mining lately, and I find it very hard to find uranium. I was thinking that there should be a device for finding uranium in the game. A Geiger-Muller Counter (It actually exists I didn't make it up) is used to find uranium in real life, and I was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate this somehow into IC or IC2. If you don't know what a geiger counter is, then go to this link. :) ------>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gieger_counter (didn't know how to make it a hyperlink, sorry) :Reactor: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Cell: :Uranium Cell: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Reactor:

• I was looking around at the forum, and I'm surprised nobody has posted something about this yet. I've been doing a lot of mining lately, and I find it very hard to find uranium. I was thinking that there should be a device for finding uranium in the game. A Geiger-Muller Counter (It actually exists I didn't make it up) is used to find uranium in real life, and I was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate this somehow into IC or IC2. If you don't know what a geiger counter is, then go to this link. :) ------>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gieger_counter (didn't know how to make it a hyperlink, sorry) :Reactor: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Cell: :Uranium Cell: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Reactor:

it would be possible to impliment but then it would also trivialize the techinque of Breeding Uranium Cells. currently you can take 1 ore, and make it into 8 incomplete (Deleted Uraniun Cells), you can then toss then in a specially designed reactor to turn them into complete cells using only a couple regular uranium cells, this provides alittle less power then a normally designed reactor but it multiplies your uranium amounts by 8. personally i have never had a problem with finding uranium and even running 2-3 reactors with 4 regular cells in them that are not breeder reactors, i still find uranium fast enough to get more Uranium Cells then i'm consuming. as interesting as this idea is and relatively realistic, i feel it would make nuclear reactors alittle to easy to operate under normal means. if you could actively hunt uranium then you could run like 6 reactors and never need to design 1 or 2 breeder types.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• this is a really interesting concept, and it sounds exactly like something IC2 should have. But I'm afraid Albaka, or many of the people on here wont agree with it because it gives players an edge for finding a resource that is supposed to be really rare.

• this is a really interesting concept, and it sounds exactly like something IC2 should have. But I'm afraid Albaka, or many of the people on here wont agree with it because it gives players an edge for finding a resource that is supposed to be really rare.

point made by your post, its OP (over powered)

uranium is suposed to be rare, becouse its the endgame (sort off) fuel for energy of IC2

so real simple, no. not gonna hapen. (i suggest you write an mod if u want it)

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• If you make it, please call it a "Radiation Detector" rather than a "Geiger Counter".

there is really no difference. Radiation detectors and geiger counters detect alpha, beta, and gamma radiation alike

• i see no problem with this we already have a general ore detector after all

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• so why not just use that eh? it is more profitable after all

lets me zero in on one type of ore in a way that makes sense. also uranium can be any where even where the ore detector is giving me a low score cause the uranium is the only thing below me vs. a large copper vein 1 chuck to the right

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• i see no problem with this we already have a general ore detector after all

yes but there is a pretty big difference. lets say you needed 1 metal ball bearing and i had thousands of sacks of marbles. the metal ball bearing is REALLY rare in this case and is worth thousands of dollars. would you take each bag and pick it up and be like "ok this bag has about 40 marbles, some are small, some are alittle bigger, let's check it... no metal ball" or would you "cheat" and as soon as i turn my back would you pull out a huge magnet and start pin pointing every back at 1/100th of the time? so yes, this detector is OP.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• its not really OP compared to other stuff people would want to pin point uranium is only used in an already every expensive power generator and weapons that are contraband on most servers if he wanted something to home in on iron then i would have called OP on this.

• its not really OP compared to other stuff people would want to pin point uranium is only used in an already every expensive power generator and weapons that are contraband on most servers if he wanted something to home in on iron then i would have called OP on this.

it is very OP, sure other people might want even more OP stuff but it's not implimented. and yes, nukes are banned on most servers, nuclear reactors aren't because they usually greatly help a server if the person isn;t a complete idiot and blowing up every other reactor that they make. also keep in mind that uranium cannot be made, fabircated or generated in any way. Iron can be made from UUM, 5 UUM=2 iron ore. if you could hone in and track down Uranium you could use 4 uranium to make like 10 ores from the matter allone from the 24 million EUs that those 4 uranium could make, or 30 copper/tin. or whatever else they needed, so this "Uranium Detecctor" is more of a "Anything i really need" detector. Uranium is ment to be rare and hard to find because of this ability / power, if you make this power overly easy to aquire and use then it becomes Over Powered. so sorry this idea is OP and not approved in my opinion.

• "Uranium Detecctor" is more of a "Anything i really need" detector.

I believe that while you can pretty much make anything you want with the UUM you generate from your reactors, most people wouldn't waste their UUM on "anything", they would prioritize their UUM for really useful stuff like :Iridium: and diamonds for :Energy Crystal: . So really, you wouldn't waste the energy you generate on things like that. Even on servers, you would need to prioritize your UUM as well. Oh, and thanks for all the replies! :) You win: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot:

• I believe that while you can pretty much make anything you want with the UUM you generate from your reactors, most people wouldn't waste their UUM on "anything", they would prioritize their UUM for really useful stuff like :Iridium: and diamonds for :Energy Crystal: . So really, you wouldn't waste the energy you generate on things like that. Even on servers, you would need to prioritize your UUM as well. Oh, and thanks for all the replies! :) You win: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot: :Uranium Ingot:

lol, when you got as many reactors and as much uranium stored as i do and know how to use breeders, prioritizing is the least of your concerns. i still use my UUM for clay, iron, ink, and the occassional coal :p

we tend to use UUM on my server as currency as well, like uranium costs 10 UUM, enderpearls are 3 i think, Coal Dust is 1UUM=8Coal dust. ect... so with a proper set-up of a Market can yield a significant amount of matter :)

• A geiger counter. Never really needed in the old days, but in the WWII and on "Nuclear Age" we have always felt the need to be aware of our surroundings. It fits perfectly with Industrialcraft in the sense that we have only really become aware of radioactivity because we have pursued the knowledge of unique properties of the elements.

How neat would it be, the explorer, wandering about a cave listening to the cautious ticks of the geiger... But it doesn't really make sense. Exploring caves is sort of a primitive act. In modern times we mine the ore we need through large mining operations with huge machinery. The Miner in IC2 is analogous to the large mining operations of today. While a geiger counter might be useful in a large uranium mine, it would seem odd to be carrying one into every cave you see, hoping to find an ore that is relatively rare.

And if you run even just 1 miner you should be getting 0-2 (equally weighted) uranium with each pull. I would love to hear a geiger counter in Minecraft, but I can definitely see that currently there is no real reason to have it.

• Official Post

The geiger counter should be like an item that shows in your HUD radiation levels? (Like Thaumcraft shows Aura and Taint levels in atmosphere)

If radiation levels is too high you take damage every 2 seconds if without a Hazmat suit and nearby (the whole chunk) dirt, rocks turn into radiating dirt, stone, cobblestone, ores that will damage you while you hold in backpack (once every 10 seconds)
    Radiated stuff must be "cleaned" before use or its byproducts will be radioactive and that won't be good for your health.
    Staying nearby radiating blocks will also damage.

Player has its own radiation level, if it reaches higher than X , permanent poison until death (player radiation levels decreases over time and with some "cleaning" stuff)

• The geiger counter should be like an item that shows in your HUD radiation levels? (Like Thaumcraft shows Aura and Taint levels in atmosphere)

If radiation levels is too high you take damage every 2 seconds if without a Hazmat suit and nearby (the whole chunk) dirt, rocks turn into radiating dirt, stone, cobblestone, ores that will damage you while you hold in backpack (once every 10 seconds)
    Radiated stuff must be "cleaned" before use or its byproducts will be radioactive and that won't be good for your health.
    Staying nearby radiating blocks will also damage.

Player has its own radiation level, if it reaches higher than X , permanent poison until death (player radiation levels decreases over time and with some "cleaning" stuff)

sounds like we're trying to play a Super Nintendo 3D Version of Fallout...

• Here's an idea to offset the OP quality of a Geiger counter: handling uranium can and will make you very very sick if not handled and stored properly. If you want the realism of being able to track down uranium deposits, you should lose a few teeth in the process.

• that's too much coding to create invisible blocks come out of uranium ore that damages you.
    The coders would have to give the uranium ore the properties of a lava source block, but then tone down the damage, while at the same time having the uranium ore have the same properties and model as any other ore block :wacko: