Forge moving away from MLMP

• Even after reviewing all this information, I'm still unsure where my leanings are on this matter. On the one hand, with the built-in mod support, it should get mods up to date faster...but to do so would require some mods to literally start from square one again, it's sounding like, or at the very least, a considerable amount of rewriting.

Or maybe this is just the ramblings of a semi-sleep-deprived computer jockey who's reading into things too much.

Yep, some rewriting must be done, but at least its for the better.

• Even after reviewing all this information, I'm still unsure where my leanings are on this matter. On the one hand, with the built-in mod support, it should get mods up to date faster...but to do so would require some mods to literally start from square one again, it's sounding like, or at the very least, a considerable amount of rewriting.

Or maybe this is just the ramblings of a semi-sleep-deprived computer jockey who's reading into things too much.

For some people, there will need to be massive rewrites, but for the mods that aren't for SMP (Thaumcraft2, Twilight Forest, TFCraft) this update won't be much of a problem for them, since they never had any multiplayer aspects to begin with.

• For some people, there will need to be massive rewrites, but for the mods that aren't for SMP (Thaumcraft2, Twilight Forest, TFCraft) this update won't be much of a problem for them, since they never had any multiplayer aspects to begin with.

Oof. This is gonna be a long wait, I can tell.

Something that may take some of the sting out of things, though, would be to release an SSP version until SMP's worked out fully. Just a thought.

• On one hand I ask... 'Why, on the cusp of the introduction of the new API?' It seems like one would want to wait and see where Mojang goes with their API on the off chance that they get under the hood and start moving stuff around. Stuff you already took into account when you made your changes, thus forcing you to go back and rework.

But on the other hand, maybe this is forge getting away in anticipation of Mojang's changes.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Official Post

On one hand I ask... 'Why, on the cusp of the introduction of the new API?' It seems like one would want to wait and see where Mojang goes with their API on the off chance that they get under the hood and start moving stuff around. Stuff you already took into account when you made your changes, thus forcing you to go back and rework.

But on the other hand, maybe this is forge getting away in anticipation of Mojang's changes.

If I remember right, Mojang is going for a bukkit like API, Server Only, which means that there is still a serious need for Forge.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• If I remember right, Mojang is going for a bukkit like API, Server Only, which means that there is still a serious need for Forge.

Don't doubt that at all. It's more the 'make changes when bigger changes are on the horizon'... or 'remodel just before the hurricane' perhaps.

The main desire behind the mod support I believe is a one click install fashion like you see with the curse client. Least according to jeb's twitter.

And to do that won't they have to make their 'way' appealing enough to dev's so that they'll actually use it? ...I mean, they kinda have to deliver the goods right? ...has Mojang 'officially' commented about the future of competing mod apis?...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

• Hey, folks. Just thought I'd stop by to inform you lot that Forge's official 1.2.5 version is out now, as build 3.0.1.75 - get it while it's hot!

Thanks for the info! (Only 3 versions behind!)
    edit: And now I can't get to the build system for my update :P

• Once upon a time Forge was there to make mods compatible and play well together.

Those days are gone now. Bring on the days of make a decision to use a mod based solely on a developers decision to join the borg or not.

This is not a good thing. put in a wrapper. Choice = good. Demands of do it our way or else = bad for everyone involved.

• Once upon a time Forge was there to make mods compatible and play well together.

Those days are gone now. Bring on the days of make a decision to use a mod based solely on a developers decision to join the borg or not.

This is not a good thing. put in a wrapper. Choice = good. Demands of do it our way or else = bad for everyone involved.

was that supposed to make any sense whatsoever?
    Minecraft Forge still does what it's originally intended to do: it does a *great* job at enabling folks to run mods that otherwise wouldn't run together at all.

Someone need to take out the condescending stick out of their asshole and educate itself before making stupid comments.

Forge as always been like this, Modders NEED to use forge for the maximum degree of compatibility because otherwise its almost impossible (Unless that particular modder modify files that forge itself doesn't use). Forge its just a tool that gives you access to Minecraft Base files without the need to modify them yourself + A whole other array of tools at your disposition.

• Someone need to take out the condescending stick out of their asshole and educate itself before making stupid comments.

Incorrect. Now you choose forge or modloaderMP. You tell me how that = compatible. Example: Wireless Redstone. Hope you were not using that on a server because it depends on modloaderMP.

It's also somewhat comical that same people who get all over Flowerchild for his move away from forge line up in droves to support Forge when it does the exact same thing. .

Not all mods need a full blown API. It's a waste of space but now if they want to run with forge mods on a server they HAVE to run forge.

Just because you choose to be a dick doesn't mean you have a clue.

• What I wanna know is what is taking Eloraam so long to update Red Power to 1.2.5?? That's like the only mod I'm waiting on, ic2 isn't officially updated to 1.2.5 but there are ways to get it to work.

I support whatever makes the modders lives easier in the long run, and helps get updates out as quick as humanly possible.

• What I wanna know is what is taking Eloraam so long to update Red Power to 1.2.5?? That's like the only mod I'm waiting on, ic2 isn't officially updated to 1.2.5 but there are ways to get it to work.

I support whatever makes the modders lives easier in the long run, and helps get updates out as quick as humanly possible.

Actually the cause of this was talked about on the Redpower thread a little while ago. Apparently, she has run into a nasty bug in the Logic package and would prefer to release Redpower all in one go.

Not really the place to ask this.

Although its true that now you need to choose between forge or modloadermp, apparently you are the only one who sees that as a bad thing.

Forge will now include his own modloadermp, what does this really means?

For forge users it means migrating their code from Modloadermp definition to forge modloadermp definitions AND less waiting time on forge updates.

For non forge users that use modloadermp it means staying with it or migrating to forge.

This change was done, not because lexmannos was being petty, or childish or because he didn't like the creator of modloadermp, he did it because (And this is what he said mostly but with my own words), it takes longer than necessary to update forge because modloadermp was taking too much time doing so, and because modloadermp didn't properly use some api or some implementation with the minecraft server jar. In the end FMLMP its supposed to be a better ModloaderMP than ModloaderMP.

And waste of space? What? Do you live in the 80-90's where the best Hard drive in existence had 5mb Max? Forge+Modloader+Modloadermp for 1.2.3 weights less than a frigging MB (612Kb if you want to get technical). That there is a lot of shit you will barely use? True, its also true for most IDE's and a assorted lot of programs. You don't modify the whole of minecraft so by your logic anything that you don't use or modify its a waste of space huh? You use what you need to use and ignore the rest, I bet alblaka or anyone of the IC2 dev team don't use the entirety of forge for IC2, just what they need from it, nothing more nothing less.

And i choose to be a dick because its what comes natural to me, i choose to remain a dick because i fucking check my facts before running my mouth so i don't look like an idiot instead of a dick.

(Also flowerchild moved away from forge because of some stupid pettiness i believe, forge moving away from mlmp was for a major cause than just being petty)

Once again, if people who used modloadermp and desire to remain compatible with forge mods, they will simply migrate their code (Changing definitions and quite possible it will give them a chance to update or upgrade the entirety of their mod)

• Lmfao @ the borg reference. Don't like it? Make your own forge and convince people that choice is good when all you'll be doing is making mods less compatible in the process.

It's a good call IMO. If we have to wait an extended period of time for modders to get their code straight this time around, so that in the future updates can be made quicker, then I'm all for it. Honestly, updates shouldn't be held back on a global scale because one dude/person/group isn't keeping up with the flow.

~Plystire

• To be honest, it's just better to use Forge anyway. The major upside to this is Forge is updated regularly and often and has a team working on it. MLMP does not, and the updates as of late have not been "official" ones by the author but third parties in the MC community. MLMP has always taken a lot longer to update and removing it as an additional mod to wait on makes it easier for players. As I'm not a modder, I can't say this for sure but I'd think that, in the long run, it also simplifies this for the modder community who use Forge and make SMP mods as they don't have to wait on an MLMP update either. I could be wrong on that, however, so I will stand corrected if that proves to be the case.