The Ultimate Industrial Frame Engineering Challenge(s) - TUIFEC

• For those who want to use chickenbones' version of wireless redstone on their ship : DON'T

Currently activating a frame platform on which both a Wr reciever and signaller that are linked and activated results in a saving chunks... after restart your frame (aka ship) is torn apart. :cursing:

There seems no problem in linking it to the ground and then through another wr system back to your ship, though.

Edit: typo's :$

• Hmm it has worked just fine for me... The only problem I have had is with the remote and me being so far away that the chunk was unloading while the ship was moving which did cause some damage the ship.

All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in
    the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the morning to find
    that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people,
    for they dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.
    --T.E. Lawrence

• Chunkloaders, anyone? Or are they forbidden?

There is nowhere said that you *can't* use them :D

on a sidenote - its doesnt really matter anymore. tested my intergalactic space vessels mining abilities with industrial tnt and transposers. It worked, Yay!

then I came upon a testificate village and decided to drop a nuke. Hovering 50 blocks above ground soil-to-bottom I discovered that Alblaka's nuke® is either way to realistic or that Eloraams frames are less blast resistant than I would've thought.

After returning to my death point I collected what was left of my ship. 17 solars, 3 pieces of bundled cable, 1-2 pieces of every color insulated wool, a machine block and 30 frames 8|

• Official Post

then I came upon a testificate village and decided to drop a nuke. Hovering 50 blocks above ground soil-to-bottom I discovered that Alblaka's nuke® is either way to realistic or that Eloraams frames are less blast resistant than I would've thought.

After returning to my death point I collected what was left of my ship. 17 solars, 3 pieces of bundled cable, 1-2 pieces of every color insulated wool, a machine block and 30 frames 8|

And thats why i ever have a R-Stonebottomlayer on my Battleships. Unless i use my Quarryship to mine the hell out of my Enemies Bases.

• Hi all,
    my first post in this forum, be gentle :D
    my spaceship is far from complete and i don't think it will be within a month or so (damn uni!) i'd like to post what i already have and what i'd like to do
    first, when i read this

-The spaceship does not need to be able of altering it's environment in any ways but the miners. You don't need it to be able to eat through mountains, nor does it need to be capable of terraforming something into a flat landing area.

i just thought "that's a great idea" and so i'm trying to build a Cube thats capable of exactly that while fulfilling all other requirements and wtihout Redpower Control. not because i think its not a interesting mod, i just don't want to learn another coding language^^

by now i have the drive core, the processing section and the reactor section, which means i still need a storage, mining and logic section (logic for the outer walls)

first the drive core

its the same 6-directional drive by TeamPantsMadness most people use by now, so no magic here. as you can see i connected normale redwire with the drive core which goes down into the command centre. every direction has a timer/toggle latch component. that way the craft moves into one direction when you press a button in the command centre and stops when pressed again. i'll probably set the solar panels higher later on since there are some holes due to my redwires. icedfire also mentioned some problem with the drive core running out of power. i can imagine the that and will try to make some changes later.
    in the end: it moves!

second would be the processing section

i tried to build it small, which is the reason why you can't see much. it's basicly a 6macerator section above and a 6furnace section below with two separate chest-entries for both and a sorting machine between them. it's capable of processing every ore, can grind coal to dust, melt sand to glass and refine iron to ref. iron. i also made it so that cob. stone --> stone and stone --> cob. stone --> sand --> glass. if i have some room left (a cube is huge) i'll maybe add something fancy like a diamond make and something that grinds copper/tin bars to bronze, but that's totally optional.

and the last section i managed to finish by now: the reactor section

this thing was a project..... the funny thing with reactor chambers is the fact that when you TEST IF THEY CAN WITHSTAND THE EXPLOSION you have to rebuild everything, no matter if the test failed or succeded. as every reactor it consists of several layers. in the middle is the 3*3*3 reactor with 5chambers. you have to exchange one chamber and a waterblock for frames. every frame everywhere is as much as possible covered with a obsidian panel or cover! obsidian cover/panel aren't as strong as real blocks but they're still strong enough to withstand TNT, so i use them. since you can't put a panel onto a already connected side of the frame it's not perfectly armored, but the frames are not the main isolation.
    the 5*5*5 cube is a simple frame cage.
    now comes the important part! the 7*7*7 cube is a obsidian frame (i'm talking about the frame of a cube without sides) with waterblocks as sides. in case you don't know, waterblocks can dampen an explosion enough so that an obsidian/blastproof block behind them doesn't break.
    the 9*9*9 cube consists of exactly that, obsidian blocks next to the waterblocks. it also contains the outer frame cage which holds the obsidian blocks. the waterblocks are hold by the inner frame cage (u know the 5*5*5 cube).
    the only weakness is the connection between the inner and the outer frame cage and (as always) the cable. it's also the part where the cable comes out of the chamber. as you can see in the picture that's also the side where i put the entrance. the frame motor removes a part of the obsidian wall and can also put it back.
    if i get the declaration correct the reactor itself is a MKIII reactor, which takes 4cells for 6mio EU each but it needs a long time to cool down after that and due to the missing reactor chamber it's close to maximum (the cooling cells are at 8200heat, which should be about 82% heat) so there is a possibility that it might explode if you won't give it a short break.

at last a picture of the prototype of the main project

that's one side of the cube. a little brain fart of mine caused to mess up the direction, please rotate it by 90° in your head^^
    it will work exactly like a redstone quarry, split in the middle. the problem with something like that are the corners. block breaker only work into one direction, so you can't really make a perfect cube. i solve that problem by leaving the corners empty and extend the side of the direction i want to travel into this empty corner. this way it's possible create something that can move into 4 directions. a cube that can do this for 6 directions would be possible but you would need a more complex mechanism which includes moving the plattforms in 4 instead of 2 directions. i'm not doing that for several reasons.
    first: it's to complex. it's possible but it makes the mechanism for every side more complex. it would also slow down everything. this thing is very slow. it needs 2s/block without this and 8s/block with activated walls. there's also the possibility to work with extension and retraction, but that's just crazy :whistling:
    second: i need those sides. on top i have the solar panels for my bluetricity needs. at the bottom i have the mining mechanism.

as i said in the beginning: this will take AT LEAST a month until it's finished. there's still storage (including global sorting), mining, logic and hull to be done. i'm quiet opticimistic though since everything i have now is tested as movable and as far as i know movable objects are closed under "connection" :D (i wonder how many people will get that joke :( )
    my main concern up till now is: when this is finished the command centre will be kinda in the middle and you will see nothing from there....... have to think about that.
    it's will also be kinda huge, i'm estimating something over 30*30 8|
    mfg Gaxx

• Hmm it has worked just fine for me... The only problem I have had is with the remote and me being so far away that the chunk was unloading while the ship was moving which did cause some damage the ship.

I think he's talking about the ground place transmitter and receiver being moved at the same time. I didn't have it installed so no idea if it does or not.

• I think he's talking about the ground place transmitter and receiver being moved at the same time. I didn't have it installed so no idea if it does or not.

I was talking about that too.. check out my control room with WRS transmitters hooked up to the computer... I just also mentioned a problem that I had with the remote.

To Gaxx:
    " since you can't put a panel onto a already connected side of the frame"
    You can it is just not easy. Make the block how you want and then use a frame motor to slide it into place. Takes a bit more effort but I did it a number of time when building my ship (mostly I just built what I wanted to and then moved the ship till the new frames connected where I needed them to).

All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in
    the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the morning to find
    that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people,
    for they dream their dreams with open eyes, and make them come true.
    --T.E. Lawrence

• To Gaxx:
    " since you can't put a panel onto a already connected side of the frame"
    You can it is just not easy. Make the block how you want and then use a frame motor to slide it into place. Takes a bit more effort but I did it a number of time when building my ship (mostly I just built what I wanted to and then moved the ship till the new frames connected where I needed them to).

i thought about that too but this method is way to slow and the effect is to low since it isn't the main isolation. i also don't think it would make that much of a difference. it would only be used on the inner frame cage and that part always gets completely destroyed even when build with blastproof stone :(
    i mainly use this method when placing frames with glass panels/covers for obvious reasons :D

• So... has anyone submitted a SolarSPAMatron entry yet? Just want to know before I work my ass off on a huge project.

that is not a true engineer speaking :D What if I told you no one has?

• So... has anyone submitted a SolarSPAMatron entry yet? Just want to know before I work my ass off on a huge project.

why dont u just read this thread and find out?

Ephesians 4:29
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
    as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

• So this is my attempt at the galactic mining vessel :) Download here, when unzipped, it contains map AND configs, just drag and drop over your current .minecraft (after backing up).

• Not sure why the pictures aren't showing ^ ^ ^ they did when I was writing it.

doesn't matter, we can still see the links and use them manually^^
    since my design needs a more complex drive system (it gives of a redstone impulse whenever the ship has moved) i've build many prototypes to get what i want, but the idea to move the first motor from the side instead of from below never occurred to me once :D
    nice idea.

• my ship is coming along very nicely, so i thought i should show my status so far since it's a little after half-time for the schedule i gave myself.
    up to now i've installed everything necessary for a mining ship (drive, mining section, processing section, storage, generator, sorting system) and that's what it looks like

this beauty contains nine miners in total and since i found out that you can extract and insert the mining drill from one side (the right from where you placed it) i was able to build a system which controls them all by pressing a lever! the final size once everything is finished will be 32block³. as off now it's only 26block wide since the outer walls are missing (adding three to every side). i think it's also noteworthy that the lags this thing causes by moving aren't getting any worse after a certain size :thumbup:
    the big, unidentifiable construct below the roof is the drive core. here a closer look at it

in addition to moving the ship it also gives of a redstone pulse every time it moved. that made the whole construction fricking complicated, since i'm not just moving a motor which moves the rest. to attach a redstone torch i had move a frame with a motor which moves the rest. while experimenting with framemotors how to do that i learned a lot about motors and figured out, that the motor behaves like a repeater. in easier terms: when the motor is connected to more than one frame it will not stick to both when one frame is moved. also: if motor 1 on frame 1 tries to move frame 2 with motor 2 and motor 2's upper side is connected to frame 1 nothing will move. both cases are a huge problem!!!
    i circumvented that problem by building in a third motor. this motor activates with delay when the drive gets deactivated and makes sure that the drive always resets to state 1 and never stays in state 2. if one direction would stay in state 2 you would "lose" the 2nd motor when moving into the opposite direction since motor 2 doesn't connect to the moving ship (look the first problem i described). in state 1 the the small frame is connected to the upper side of motor 1
    state 1: on redstone pulse motor 1 moves small frame with motor 2
    state 2: on redstone pulse motor 2 moves ship with motor 1
    i know it sounds complicated but that's the result of four days building and scapping several prototypes which included a lot of screaming and despair :cursing:
    that's also a reason why i'm posting this here in case someone else wants to build a drive like that.

on a side note: i think that a drive system which gives a signal whenever it has moved can be very useful for many constructions. i will need it to synchronize the outer walls with the drive.

what's left now is: building the outer walls, installing wall logic and connecting it to drive logic, build captain's quarters.
    the outer walls will be damn big! as i said they will be quarry walls capable of eating through everything when activated. i already designed the logic to synchronize walls and drive (user friendly and breakproof!) but installing everything is a complete different story.
    as you can see in the picture there's still a lot of free space below the roof. that's probably where the captain's quarter will be.
    if i'm having enough time left i'm thinking about relocating the command center below the roof. that way i could make it elevatable so you can look outside while..... driving and retract it if you want to "move through something", but that's optional.

wish me luck that everything works out as i planned!^^

• Nice set up you got there gaxx, just one question:

it also gives of a redstone pulse every time it moves

Why is this necessary? From the looks of things, you're activating the movement with redstone, so why not just add an appropriate delay based on how long you know it takes to move and wire that out. Also what's the pulse even for?