[Suggestion] - Shaped Charges

• Hey, guys!

To my knowledge, this hasn't been suggested before, so I figured I'd put the idea forward.

It's pretty self-explanatory. Much as I love my explosives, I just never use 'em - partly because I play SSP, but also because they're just too messy to begin with. So, I got to thinking - why not make an explosive that only destroys blocks in one direction?

Typically, shaped charges are used in demolitions as well as mining, so my thought was also using it to get through reinforced stone/glass on SMP servers. For a recipe, here's what I have in mind:

CCX
    CTX
    CCX

X = nothing
    C = Clay (balls, blocks, or dust - not sure yet)
    T = TNT (Vanilla or industrial - again, not certain, but probably vanilla)

To ensure the blast goes the right way, you could re-orient it using a wrench. I don't know how penetrating the blast should be, but I'd say 3 blocks deep is probably a good ballpark.

So, what do you guys think?

• So like a dynamite stick, but you don't have to place it on the dead center for complete effectiveness?

I like it. Would love if you could "Pre-Tag" these charges (And the dynamite too) so you only have to place it and use the dyna-mote to explode it.

That is rare, a suggestion i actually like from the get go O.o.

P.S: The SMP idea, the whole joke of the reinforced stone its for it being blast resistant, so i doubt the charge should be a little more effective than a dynamite stick.

• imagine the tnt cannons :D +1

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• As far as the recipe goes I think it should incorporate one or more copper ingots. Shaped charges use copper cones encased in explosive.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• As far as the recipe goes I think it should incorporate one or more copper ingots. Shaped charges use copper cones encased in explosive.

but that's to punch through armor with a molten slug

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• but that's to punch through armor with a molten slug

Would account for why it's able to punch through reinforced stone as suggested above.
    I mean, the composit vest (Similar to tank armor) uses the same tech as reinforced stone.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• There was a separate mod from Minecraft beta that had similar functions as this, but I don't think it ever got updated to any recent version of Minecraft.

+1 for suggesting this, as I do believe it would help simplify the point-blast process of explosive mining.. lol

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Well, it's pretty clear that this idea has a considerable amount of merit to it. :D

@Fenix: Not only that, but more powerful, to boot. =P Pre-tagging would be nice, as well, now that you mention it.

Fallen: That's a good point. However, it should also be noted in the wiki article that different materials are used for different purposes. An example given is that an aluminum liner (the cone you spoke of) is used when the target surface is concrete.

• Fallen: That's a good point. However, it should also be noted in the wiki article that different materials are used for different purposes. An example given is that an aluminum liner (the cone you spoke of) is used when the target surface is concrete.

Yes I know but i went with saying copper for two reasons.
    1.Its the first metal i think of when i hear shape charges.
    2. I was on my IPod and didnt want to type a long message. :P

Alblaka says:

• +1 too for the idea. I agree too with you (exept on reinforced stone, because it would be too expensive just for TNT).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Yes I know but i went with saying copper for two reasons.
    1.Its the first metal i think of when i hear shape charges.
    2. I was on my IPod and didnt want to type a long message. :P

Posted via iPod? I think you mean iPad. And by the way, get something without a bitten Apple on it.

How exactly would the Explosion itself work? I mean, will it just cause the Block where its sitting upon to explode, or does it cause a new directed Explosion?

• Posted via iPod? I think you mean iPad. And by the way, get something without a bitten Apple on it.

How exactly would the Explosion itself work? I mean, will it just cause the Block where its sitting upon to explode, or does it cause a new directed Explosion?

Imagine the block like a rifle...
    As warlord's recipie:

:Intergrated Plating::Intergrated Plating::Intergrated Plating:
    :Intergrated Plating::Iron Dust:
    :Intergrated Plating::Intergrated Plating::Intergrated Plating:

where :Intergrated Plating: are... a metal and :Iron Dust: are iTNT.
    That's like a cannon without a cannonball in... the metal part direct the explosive force in only one direction (supposedly concentrated so more powerful) suppressing totally to go in other direction... so... i dunno if this is possible... but what about make the block explode in a direction with a defined power, and the all other direction have an explosion power of 0? So if u sit on it when it explode, unless u point it at u, u will recive no damage at all... simply fall for 1 block and touch the ground...

OR we can eventually build a reusable cannon to make TNT and iTNT directional.
    Like: cannon + iTNT/TNT = charged cannon.
    Place, fire, pick up empty cannon.

• Keymaster pretty much nailed how I think the blast pattern should work. Right at the block next to the charge, it'd be its narrowest, but also at its strongest. Beyond that, it'd kind of expand into a conical shape, but lose strength as it did so.

Alternatively, I was happy with taking out a 3x3x3 area in the direction of the charge, again, with the blast losing strength as it progressed.

• Speaking of underground bases, Fenix, I just thought of a REALLY nasty trap you could make with shaped charges if they were implemented - a hallway completely lined with shaped charges, all linked to a single switch. Makes for a great "panic button" if your base was breached. >=D

• @warlord, then you could have the passageway blown and one layer of the roof. and above that roof sand/gravel/lava whatever evil you want :D

Hell, prove me wrong, Happy to be so 99% of the time, then I can learn stuff :)

• +1 This is just the kind of new industrial thing we need!

Ephesians 4:29
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
    as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.