Question: What's your endgame power source?

• Just randomly curious / wondering here.
    The sort of question that doesn't really fit in any one sub-section so I put it here.

Anyway, my answer:
    I tend to drift twords ice CASUC reactors. Be it with (Singularity) Compressors or loads of the glacial precipitators from the thermal expansion sub-mob.
    Right now i've got two ice CASUC reactors in my world. The one in the overworld I built first with singularity compressors and snow golems in a far flung taiga biome for the snowballs. Number two is the one I built in the Twilight Forest (after I discovered thermal expansion) Discovered one needs 60 of the precipitators as they make one ice every 6 seconds or so.

Expensive setup though, hence the "endgame" factor. need 5 MFSU's total. 4 to absorb power from the reactor and turn it on/off. (redstone signals and BC3 gates both required to toggle the RS Latch) and one to be the point where power is actually used at.

• I personally use HV solar arrays from the Compact Solars mod. I've built an almost completely automated production line (using BC 2.x, Redpower and IC2) that takes UU matter from my mass fabber and turns it into solar arrays. It's not fully automated, since I still need to pop in ever so often and run the cobblegen to create glass and cobble (glass is automatically made) and I need to manually supply the transformers, but I've essentially got hands-off exponential growth now.

GENERATION (Pineapple + i): The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

If you don't have anything to add to the discussion then just butt out.
    1: Dead thread, "green" only
    2: Dead thread, "not nuclear"
    3: Very Dead thread.

Still the same answer either way... GEOTHERMAL!

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• IC²-Pumps can accept Lavasourceblocks from RP-Grates. Didnt you know that? Its on my Tutorial. Also there is a 32-Geothermal-Setup in the Worlddownload on the Screenshotsection.

Oh... so now is time to kick out BC for good.

• It may be expensive, but so far all of my buildings have been MOSTLY self-sufficient using solar energy. My cobblestone processing plant has multiple overclocked macerators and electric furnaces, but I put an array of 25 solar panels on the roof and that has still been more than enough to maintain its power. Even with all 5 production lines running constantly, the facility can self sustain for ABOUT 10 Minecraft days, assuming you start with a full MFSU. Note this is very rough, I didn't use a timer, I just counted Minecraft days. Granted, this takes TONS of copper wiring to make, but it's definitely been more than I needed for that plant.

I'm working on an automated cactus factory right now, one that produces dye and buildcraft waterproofing, and it will use much less power even when both production lines are active. I expect to use even less solar power for it.

Of course, my next project after this is going to be a huge recycling plant to turn all the excess cobble and cactus into scrap, and a huge array of mass fabs. That will probably require more than just solar power could provide. For that, I may either set up an ice-cooled CASUC reactor, or go the super manly method and build a giant lava tank warehouse and start draining volcanoes to power a huge array of geothermals. There's something magical about the loud hum of 50 geothermal plants taming mother nature's lava fury into raw power!

And of course, for the awesome factor, I may build an underground nuclear plant for backup power, and hook it up to all the completed facilities for emergency power at the flick of a switch. I certainly have enough Uranium saved up for it now, over a whole stack! But since I also have about 3,000 buckets' worth of lava also stored in my home base's basement, that's something for waay down the line.

Obsession with Automation is a good thing, right?

• Official Post

I suggest you to use wind power for mass fabrication ^^ [It isn't harder than nuclear in my opinion and lasts forever]

• I suggest you to use wind power for mass fabrication ^^ [It isn't harder than nuclear in my opinion and lasts forever]

It has occurred to me, though I want to keep the sky immediately around my small city unobstructed. For wind power I'd have to build the towers pretty distant, and then take the EU hit that comes from transmitting power through cable over long distances. That seems impractical considering Windmills produce at the very maximum only 4EU/t each according to the wiki and have high variation in their production. Seems I'd lose most of it even if I had enough diamonds to use all glass fiber cable since I'd be putting the towers outside of far render distance

• It has occurred to me, though I want to keep the sky immediately around my small city unobstructed. For wind power I'd have to build the towers pretty distant, and then take the EU hit that comes from transmitting power through cable over long distances. That seems impractical considering Windmills produce at the very maximum only 4EU/t each according to the wiki and have high variation in their production. Seems I'd lose most of it even if I had enough diamonds to use all glass fiber cable since I'd be putting the towers outside of far render distance

There's multiple ways of transmitting power long distances.
    #1 would be a HV transformer in EV mode and a long cable. You lose some in this method but it's only on EV packets.
    #2 would be HV transformers every 39 blocks with glass fiber cables. More expensive but lossless.

• Man, if only someone could make a EU-Teleport cable, then you could have a [insert powersource here] ages away from your base and still produce hayoish amounts of EU....

• #2 would be HV transformers every 39 blocks with glass fiber cables. More expensive but lossless.

Oh wow, I never thought about using transformers to reset loss distance. That's ingenious!

I still am going to have to grind a ton of coal to make enough diamonds for all that fiber cable though.

Out of curiosity, how many windmills do you use in a cluster to get a sufficiently large amount of power, considering their variability in production? Got any screen shots of how you designed your wind farm?

• Oh wow, I never thought about using transformers to reset loss distance. That's ingenious!

I still am going to have to grind a ton of coal to make enough diamonds for all that fiber cable though.

Out of curiosity, how many windmills do you use in a cluster to get a sufficiently large amount of power, considering their variability in production? Got any screen shots of how you designed your wind farm?

That'd be a question for SpwnX, i'm the nut that uses ice CASUCs as base power. :)

• Official Post

That'd be a question for SpwnX, i'm the nut that uses ice CASUCs as base power. :)

Considering my setup which each wind mill generates approximately 1,66 EU/t (Wind Strength 15 + no rain/thunder), it will depend on your power needs.
    I suppose one wind tower is enough for most workshops. (Mine uses fully OC machines so one is not enough for me).

Detailed info: check my Wind engineering tutorial
    I'm adding a lazy-proof wind tutorial (but it won't explain mechanics so you gotta trust me ^^)