[GregTech-6][1.7.10] Moved to Website [Closed]

• That makes no sense, in a fusion reactor the imput is not connected to the output, its connected to the internal energy storage. The output is not even connected to the imput, that would just be a bad design. My question is why.

If you have never heard of the Farlands, you're missing out.

The farlands supports GregTech

Edited once, last by CrafterofMany ().

• Official Post

That makes no sense, in a fusion reactor the imput is not connected to the output, its connected to the internal buffer. The output is not even connected to the imput, that would just be a bad design. My question is why.

Since the Fusionreactor is one Block It shares the stored Energy with the produced Energy, Redstoning the Reactorblock itself (in 2.09a) will stop it from emitting Energy.

• Since the Fusionreactor is one Block It shares the stored Energy with the produced Energy, Redstoning the Reactorblock itself (in 2.09a) will stop it from emitting Energy.

Thank you, that will help.

Edit: Multiblock fusion reactor?

Edited once, last by CrafterofMany ().

• Can you make a way to disable using other mods casings instead of machine blocks greg? thanks.

• Thank you, that will help.

Edit: Multiblock fusion reactor?

If you do make the fusion reactor multiblock:

Assuming it is a type of tokamak reactor (indicated by the need for an advanced computer to control it as well as the shape of the fusion coils) then the heat should be produced in the walls of the coil, then transferred to whatever turns it into electricity.

This would mean that maybe you could make it so that the fusion reactor could output steam instead of EU (still needs the input to start it, but to a different part). Since the liquid api was moved to forge, you could probably add your own high capacity steam pipes, which go into some turbines (very much like the railcraft ones). This would then allow for a natural progression from fission to fusion reactors, as both would require the same steam + turbine setup, but the fusion one will have more room to extract pipes from (much larger structure) so will be able to run many many more turbines than the fission version.

This would ofc stop it from having to output to a supercondensator, though that might be solvable via implementing an advanced turbine that outputs that high, but needs absurdly large amounts of steam to run.

• Currently not really as its Timer based (the tiny bit of Lag way as the Blocks dont touch the Reactor), but it will be that way, as soon as I make the change to the Reactorsetup.

When i think of a multiblock fusion reactor,i think of something like this

This is initially a ring with coils surrounding it and a magnet in the center(?) I was thinking about you would build something like this structure and use pipes to pump in tritium and deuterium, then flip a lever to activate the super magnet and start fusing the two elements.

• When i think of a multiblock fusion reactor,i think of something like this

This is initially a ring with coils surrounding it and a magnet in the center(?) I was thinking about you would build something like this structure and use pipes to pump in tritium and deuterium, then flip a lever to activate the super magnet and start fusing the two elements.

the donut shaped chamber is where the plasma is contained. the stuff (i think the green parts) around it is the magnets for containing/heating it.

The magnets surround the vacuum chamber, and contain the plasma to the center of the chamber (keeps it in a ring not touching walls) The magnets also allow energy to be put into the plasma to heat it to the temp needed to initiate fusion.

Once fusion starts the radiation produced (mostly gamma and neutron) hits the walls of the chamber and makes it get hot. The neutrons also convert lithium into tritium in the walls. Water is passed through the hot walls to get the heat out to use to make electricity.

There is also a system to extract the helium produced, as it would otherwise poison the reaction.

• Reading the "possible to do list" again... What kind of protection will the nanite and force field suit give you? (if it ever gets implemented) and will they be stronger than quantom :?:

• Reading the "possible to do list" again... What kind of protection will the nanite and force field suit give you? (if it ever gets implemented) and will they be stronger than quantom :?:

most sensible nanite suit would be some sorta utility fog like system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_fog) where a cloud of it surrounds you and detects/stops anything that much harm you. The "recharge" cost would then correspond to the energy needed to allow whatever is controlling the fog to rebuild more foglets whenever they get damaged by whatever is trying to kill you.

If you do use some sorta nano fog like system for armour, it would technically only require 1 worn piece, the control computer. This would then allow for the ability to wear other things like bat packs, and still get the full use of the armour. This would also make sense to require a computercube or so in the recipe, as it would take quite a powerful computer to control the huge number of foglets needed to make up the armour.

• A multiblock generator sounds nice ^^ Still doesn't solve my basic problem of having too less control over the item flow in these buffers? Or is it intended that you have to let them clutter up? Cause like this i'd have to wait till all buffers have coal stacks in them and can't pull any more coal before I know the generators are full. And well generators was just an example, works with any machine, really ^^ So no comments on more flow-control? Would be very useful to allow to influence how stuff flows or split stuff up (without using CC-Turtles, heh)

Like Macerators filling atm the only way i could think of is

Chest->Translocator -> Buffers, but then how do I give stuff to Macerator #2 if Macerator #1 already has stuff?
    (Yeah could use grinder, sorry, bad example again ^^")

Anyway, I'm fine with a "no" or such so I at least know, just weird not getting any kind of comment ^^"

And heh @ requiring blast furnace requirement for solars :) Wonder what the FTB players will say to that, I've seen many already complaining about the 2.03 solar recipe as being "too expensive" (strangely i don't find it expensive at all Oo)

• I'm surprised about all this fusion talk... but something came to mind then. Wouldn't certain elements when combined produce more energy than certain elements?

yes, depending on which reaction you use you get a different yield, but also different containment requirements, the relevant wiki topic covers some of the relevant details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power

You will see that the D-T reaction is not the highest energy gain (actually quite low), but is the easiest to get going. On contrast, the D-He and H-Be reactions produce less neutron radiation, much more energy, but are also much harder to contain, so may not be feasible in a tokamak design.

Pinkishu you could always do what i currently do for the macerators: have multiple of them and have each only take a certain subset of ore, that will help solve the problem until greg implements a way to detect if something is full.

• One question, if you try to fuse iron in a reactor would it explode like a dying star?

• One question, if you try to fuse iron in a reactor would it explode like a dying star?

no, it would just consume more energy than you gain.

Edit: the only reason a star explodes is that the core no longer generates the energy needed to prevent gravitational collapse, and the resulting collapse generates shockwaves that blow off the outer layers. This means that the explosion only occurs due to the use of gravitational confinement. Any other confinement method is based on external factors, and will not result in an explosion if you start losing energy rather than generating it.

Also, some stars "explode" before they even get as far up as iron, as they do not have hot enough cores to fuse past carbon, which will produce very large amounts of energy, but needs a fairly high pressure/temp to start the fusion.

Edit 2:

For the fusion reactor you might consider doing one of these instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polywell

For this you would want to have some sorta spherical chamber with coils around it, being minecraft, in a cube, with 6 rings, or even 14 rings (6 as faces of a cube, 8 as the corners, so a truncated cube) With nothing in the center (have the rest of the cube filled with vacuum chamber block)

hmm seems someone beat me to that idea...

You then get steam out of pumping water into the walls, the walls can also produce tritium, though this would do D-D fusion just fine.

Last edit before i go to sleep:

The main advantage to the polywell design in reference to minecraft is that realistically it can be much much smaller than the tokamak. a realistic tokamak for fusion power generation is huge (see the image posted by crafter, and note the size of the human reference), in comparison, a polywell would only need to be a couple meters in radius to be viable, so could realistically be built 4 blocks tall or so, compared to the 10 or 20 blocks minimum for a realistic tokamak.

• In then which creates a white dwarf. And while we are on astronomy i might as well say if that is a duo sun it will suck all of its energy and... Well it will explode with the most powerful super nova. But the larger stars collaps when the atoms in the core are put under pressure until it rips spacetime creating a blackhole, and when it feeds on the surrounding star spitting out gammaray bursts(?) this is all from memory, i may not be correct.

Edit: it would be interesting if greg could add a fusing machine that creates an artificial star.

• In then which creates a white dwarf. And while we are on astronomy i might as well say if that is a duo sun it will suck all of its energy and... Well it will explode with the most powerful super nova. But the larger stars collaps when the atoms in the core are put under pressure until it rips spacetime creating a blackhole, and when it feeds on the surrounding star spitting out gammaray bursts(?) this is all from memory, i may not be correct.

The collapse doesn't "rip" spacetime, all a black hole is, is a gravity well which light cannot escape. current physics does not actually explain what happens once inside the event horizon, so anything beyond there is merely speculation.

The white dwarf is what is sucking matter off the companion star, not the other way around. the reason why the dwarf explodes is that at approximately 1.38 solar masses it reignites with carbon fusion at the core, and the large amount of energy produced by this causes the supernova.

Some larger stars produce neutron stars instead of black holes, the source of gamma ray bursts is currently uncertain, but it is probably either neutron stars colliding or large amounts of matter falling into a black hole (due to conservation of momentum related reasons when stuff falls into a black hole, right before it gets to the event horizon, sometimes large amount of energy is shot away from the black hole.)

• If my own meager knowledge of astronomy is anything compared to what's being talked about right now, then, if I recall correctly, smaller stars are essentially guaranteed to form white dwarfs at their 'death,' and the 'middle class' stars become neutron stars, and the 'super massive stars' are the ones that have so much mass behind them at their death that they form black holes. Again, my knowledge is meager, old and has been too deep in the 'archives' for so long, I think it eroded a bit, so I could be wrong.

Thutmose: I think what Crafter meant by "ripping spacetime" is that the massive gravity of the black hole causes a massive time dilation effect due to (I believe) the black hole sucking in light, meaning that it's harder for distant observers to make accurate guess based on time.... Now that I think about it, the phrase should be closer to "stretching spacetime to near breaking" which is so close to ripping, that people just go straight to "ripping."

Edit: it would be interesting if greg could add a fusing machine that creates an artificial star.

1.Yes you are correct.

2.My idea! :P

3.I believe that Greg should add a few more recipes to the fusion reactor, and then you would upgrade that to a "solar reactor"
    The solar reactor would be the highest teir reactor in the mod, it will be able to do very complicated reactions and create an artificial star. You would then have to harness the stars energy.

• since i can't get to sleep, will respond to these posts

If my own meager knowledge of astronomy is anything compared to what's being talked about right now, then, if I recall correctly, smaller stars are essentially guaranteed to form white dwarfs at their 'death,' and the 'middle class' stars become neutron stars, and the 'super massive stars' are the ones that have so much mass behind them at their death that they form black holes. Again, my knowledge is meager, old and has been too deep in the 'archives' for so long, I think it eroded a bit, so I could be wrong.

Thutmose: I think what Crafter meant by "ripping spacetime" is that the massive gravity of the black hole causes a massive time dilation effect due to (I believe) the black hole sucking in light, meaning that it's harder for distant observers to make accurate guess based on time.... Now that I think about it, the phrase should be closer to "stretching spacetime to near breaking" which is so close to ripping, that people just go straight to "ripping."

some very very small stars do not have enough mass to result in the electron degenerate matter that composes the white dwarf, so just turn into brown dwarfs instead, otherwise your generalization is quite good.

The gravitational field near a black hole does necessarily cause any large gradients in spacetime. the larger (physically) the event horizon, the lower the resultant stresses, so it actually has less tidal effects than a small one.

The definition of a spherical event horizon (aka the "surface" of a black hole) is the surface of radius r, such that r = 2*G*M/(c^2), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, and c is the speed of light. this means that the radius of the black hole is proportional to the mass, and a sufficiently large one would not really affect space time (in terms of a "steep stress") that much.

The time dilation effect is just a result of the apparent acceleration as the object approaches the event horizon, and has nothing to do with the black hole absorbing light, just to do with the strength of the gravitational field.

On the topic of Artificial Stars

why do you want such a horribly inefficient source of energy?

The volumetric power density of core of the sun is approximately the same as a lizard or compost heap. keeping a pen of cows next to a RP2 thermopile, next to a block of water would be a much better power supply than a star of comparable size. If you take the whole volume of the star, rather than just the core (which is about 1/4 of the radius, or 1/64 of the volume), you would now get much more power per volume from sticking a thermocouple to a mildly radioactive object than out of your star.

A few references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_core#Energy_production
    TL:DR
    Stars are very very bad sources of energy if you have to build a new one, practically anything we can make would do the job better.

note: our methods of producing fusion result in many many orders of magnitude higher power densities than stars can ever hope to achieve, mainly due to the fact that we can choose to introduce only a specific set of isotopes to fuse, and we can operate at much much higher temperatures, and comparable pressures (in the case of the polywell design the effective pressure at the center is very very high, despite being in a vacuum chamber)