Need a generation system that can output 10252 EU/t.

How is HV solars cheating if you're dumping the same amount of resources on solars? Because it's smaller and causes less E-net updates and thus less lag?

I believe it was FenixR that made a very convincing post on why HV solars are OP. Basically, it's the fact that every generator type has its downsides, wind mills must be put way up high in order to get any real power out of them, water mills need redpower systems with retrievers and water buckets to get any meaningful amount of energy out of them, geothermals rely upon a semi-limited source of energy, normal generators require a kind of fuel to keep them going, and then you get to solars. Solars are unique in that their downside is two-fold due to them being spammed constantly, 1. They are expensive costing two circuits for 1 panel, and 2. They lag, no avoiding it, when you have 512 blocks all iterating to the sky in order to check if they are in the sun, lag happens, and if you have 4096 solars, they lag a hell of a lot more than 512 solars, and massively more than 1 solar, then HV solars comes along and suddenly you are beating the system by getting 4096 solars worth of eus from 8 blocks with no lag whatsoever.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• iterating to the sky

What makes you think solar panels do any such thing? Following the logic in TileEntitySolarGenerator shows that a sun visibility check relies on world.canBlockSeeTheSky, which is passed along to the Chunk object, which checks its heightmap. Table lookups are fast.

• I believe it was FenixR that made a very convincing post on why HV solars are OP. Basically, it's the fact that every generator type has its downsides, wind mills must be put way up high in order to get any real power out of them, water mills need redpower systems with retrievers and water buckets to get any meaningful amount of energy out of them, geothermals rely upon a semi-limited source of energy, normal generators require a kind of fuel to keep them going, and then you get to solars. Solars are unique in that their downside is two-fold due to them being spammed constantly, 1. They are expensive costing two circuits for 1 panel, and 2. They lag, no avoiding it, when you have 512 blocks all iterating to the sky in order to check if they are in the sun, lag happens, and if you have 4096 solars, they lag a hell of a lot more than 512 solars, and massively more than 1 solar, then HV solars comes along and suddenly you are beating the system by getting 4096 solars worth of eus from 8 blocks with no lag whatsoever.

So the downside of Solars is that they lag is spammed? I would have to read the post, but uh, that sounds pretty damn weak. The downside of solars(as far as I know) is the sun light need, so they don't work at night. Lag isn't a valid downside in my eyes because they can lag less of done right.

Plus solar arrays were built with servers in mind. Less solar spam = less lag = better server speed = less wasted money for hosting. Also why GregTech and Thermal Expansion have cobble gen blocks, so one can avoid the need for Rp2 cobble generators which cause lag both in that they cause lighting updates, and that they can be sent into a recycler to make scrap which could be then burned in a generator(which IC2 has built in config file stuff for, so one can turn off scrap burning in generators). GregTech one can make Obsidian, though, if one supplies Redstone, edging out TE ones for utility by adding support for Obsidian Generator support(something TE only supports if you spend a bucket of lava and water).

Apprentice Redstoner, Professional Slacker

• Downside of solar is space, which is what I believe Crafter was trying to say *Ahem*. If you get 512 blocks in one, with no wiring or other requirements, it's not the same balance level as a regular solar array.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Downside of solar is space, which is what I believe Crafter was trying to say *Ahem*. If you get 512 blocks in one, with no wiring or other requirements, it's not the same balance level as a regular solar array.

The compact solars addon doesnt take into account all the wiring and infrastruture that you saved by putting an entire field of complex wiring and solars into one block.

Ephesians 4:29
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
    as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

• The compact solars addon doesnt take into account all the wiring and infrastruture that you saved by putting an entire field of complex wiring and solars into one block.

You do realize that an HV array requires an Energy Crystal (in the required HV transformer)? So that's at least one diamond there that you would otherwise not be spending. That's probably worth all the tin wiring by itself.

• When you start a new map, you won't go for HV directly, do you? The regular ones have to be crafted 1st. I usually make 40-50 normal ones and then start disassembling them to combine them... So you spent some tin/space anyway...

• You do realize that an HV array requires an Energy Crystal (in the required HV transformer)? So that's at least one diamond there that you would otherwise not be spending. That's probably worth all the tin wiring by itself.

Let's be honest here, by the time you have 512 solars, you are going to have a mass fabricator and at least 9 UU-Matter, the diamond is not really a factor here.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• 10252? Somewhat random number. On the server I play on, I've got 20 HVs feeding directly into a Mass Fab, giving me an UU every 5 seconds, but that's just overkill. I'm somewhat amazed I even managed to gather all that Iron and other materials, maybe next time around I'll try something different.

• 10252? Somewhat random number. On the server I play on, I've got 20 HVs feeding directly into a Mass Fab, giving me an UU every 5 seconds, but that's just overkill. I'm somewhat amazed I even managed to gather all that Iron and other materials, maybe next time around I'll try something different.

I tend to avoid UU-matter as much as possible. I'll make enough for a q-suit + a gravi chestplate and that's about it.
    why? later on it's too much like EE where it's like infinite resources and takes all the fun out of mining and designing large redpower mining contraptions.

• If you REALLY want that, then you'd better get a hell of a lotta HV Transformers, otherwise your cables will burn out. If you want it to run non-stop, then put a lot of redstone repeaters to time it. Those Mark V reactors are very efficient but dangerous at the same time. If you are using single-coolant reactors, it's recommended to use Buildcraft Pipes to transport coolant to the reactor constantly. If you want non-stop regular generators (geothermal, regular, etc.) then use a miner to gather things like coal, a pump to get lava cells, etc. Also, 10252 EU per tick does not mean all reactors must run constantly, even Mark Is need a short amount of time to cool down.

• If you REALLY want that, then you'd better get a hell of a lotta HV Transformers, otherwise your cables will burn out. If you want it to run non-stop, then put a lot of redstone repeaters to time it. Those Mark V reactors are very efficient but dangerous at the same time. If you are using single-coolant reactors, it's recommended to use Buildcraft Pipes to transport coolant to the reactor constantly. If you want non-stop regular generators (geothermal, regular, etc.) then use a miner to gather things like coal, a pump to get lava cells, etc. Also, 10252 EU per tick does not mean all reactors must run constantly, even Mark Is need a short amount of time to cool down.

The cable are thick and could carry a crapton of current. Its the transformers that are the bottleneck.

A Rock Raider trained as an Engineer, among other things.