Radioactivity.

• Radioactivity. We all know about it, and it makes us horrifyingly ill when we receive an overdose.

IC2 nuclear explosions only have an immediate effect on whatever happens to wander into the blast radius at the time of the explosion, at the moment.
    We can do much, MUCH better than this.

My thoughts - Radioactive Dust. Forms a thin layer of dust on a block, can be collected with a shovel like snowballs. However, going near it without a Hazmat suit is insanely dangerous, and leads to outright poisoning and possible death. Each radioactive dust block would have a radius of effect depending on how much more dust is adjacent to it, with a minimum of a 2 block reach away from itself.

In the event of a nuclear explosion, this dust is littered about the resulting crater following a similar algorithm to regular explosions (ie: raycasting to destroy blocks). After the initial explosion, just run a check on the explosion radius and have a random chance to plant a dust block on whatever block is hit by the raycast, with a greatly increased chance of it appearing on the tops of surfaces. Sides and bottoms could be coated in radioactive dust as well, but to a much lower degree.

This dust isn't just harmful, though. If processed correctly it can produce a fertilizer with an increased chance of causing a plant mutation (of course, with severely reduced GGR). It can also be used to refuel uranium cells, or be formed into an alternative to glowstone (albeit relatively dangerous).

The downside to this stuff? You have to blow something up to get it.

• 1st: It has already been sugested, use the search bar.

2nd: That doesnt mean its a bad idea. Radioactivity was denied for being too CPU intensive, but a "dust" (sort of a half block) that inflicts damage (or poison) sounds like a cactus and not too CPU intensive.

I would like to see Radioactivity, but i believe the devs are already busy, bug fixing, industrium conflict, so i wouldnt get my hopes up.

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Like stated above, this has already been suggested, the search bar is your friend :)

I'm not a modder but as far as i know the calculations and checking whether there is a player within the area of this 'dust' would still be far too cpu intensive. The game would have to make calculations based on how many dust is adjacent to the one in question, then it would have to check whether there was a player within that area every tick. This could possible be cut down by only checking say, once every 1-2 seconds but i feel that this radioactivity isn't needed after but before the reactors explode, but there is the issue again of the massive amounts of CPU this can drain. I feel that the need for radioactivity isn't really needed due to how CPU intensive possibly can be. I think the reason that reactors do so much damage when they explode now is due to the fact we can't add radioactivity?

Nice suggestion, but due to how much this drains CPU, I dont think anything like this will be added soon, but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks,
    LilGimli

• Exactly.

Also, i only dont agree with the explosion part. Real life Nuclear reactors Do a big Boom (more than the 30-40 meter we get in MC (havent checked)), but the real reason a nuclear meltdown is dangerous is the radoactivity. EVEN today, nobody lives in Chernobyl, and Japan still suffers with the WW2 bombs.

I hope that one day we can get CPU friendly radioactivity, Nuclear reactors simple have too much Pro's (using the design planner you can make a 100% safe reactor witouth problems)

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• A basic form of "Radioactivity" is in the game already. It poisons and Zombie-Flesh-Eats everyone within the blast radius. (I think). While this would be cool, I don't think it would add much, because people would simply reinforce large rooms and blow up a Nuke inside it.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Also, i only dont agree with the explosion part. Real life Nuclear reactors Do a big Boom (more than the 30-40 meter we get in MC (havent checked))

Reactors, exploding like nukes, is a misconception. You need to explode uranium in a very specific and hard-to-achieve method to make a "real" nuclear explosion. Reactor core just "meltdown" i.e. uranium melts into ultra-hot pool of liquid uranium and other parts of reactor core. Steam often explodes, though, propelling large amount of radioactive dust into atmosphere.

Low-CPU intensive radiation, I think, can be made in following way - instead of running subroutine per each block of radiation waste, run it for player. Select one block around at random, check if it is a waste, if yes - apply poison and damage.

• Reactors, exploding like nukes, is a misconception. You need to explode uranium in a very specific and hard-to-achieve method to make a "real" nuclear explosion. Reactor core just "meltdown" i.e. uranium melts into ultra-hot pool of liquid uranium and other parts of reactor core. Steam often explodes, though, propelling large amount of radioactive dust into atmosphere.

He's right. To "explode", Uranium has to be very enriched (more than 60 % at least if I remember truly).By enriched at + percentage is meanted: contain this percentage of U235, wich is the unstable isotope of Uranium.In Nuclear Reactor, Uranium contain usually about 4-5% U235. And Plutonium is not that used in Nuclear Reactor ^^
    And if you think reactor explodes because of Fukushima, you have to know this was just Hydrogen explosion, Nuclear one would have been quite more annoying ...

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• The only thing to change is effect - hunger + poison = (new name)
    The other funny thing to add is a local snowfall with radioactive snow. Dunno if it is possible, buuut could be fun. It would kill nukes as a mining tool completely

• Exactly.
    ...and Japan still suffers with the WW2 bombs.

I have to disagree with you. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were almost down to normal radiation levels only months after the detonations. That is because a nuclear bombs radioactivity is primarily gamma-rays, which quickly spread and diffuse. The only victims of radiation sickness were those that were on site during the detonations, people who visited the cities only days later were not affected. When a nuclear reactor explodes, it is because of the cooling water being splitted into hydrogen and oxygen, which then end up exploding, spreading radioactive waste/dust far around. That dust can be radioactive for decades, which is why nobody live in the Tjernobyl zone, but Hiroshima and Nagasaki are big, busy cities today.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• If this was implemented It would have too include detention height as a factor, closer to the ground, more radiation. I am all for the recolored snow half block method, make it so it slows like soul sand and has poison damage. Now that we have hazmat suits this is a no brainer.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• -snap-

Sorry, i was half-asleep.

What i meant is that the area that gets uninhabitable by said meltdown, is much larger than the explosion of any nuke we have. On the Pratical side. a Radiated area is worse than a exploded one.

Either directly OR indirectly, People still suffer with it. The ones who were directly exposed, fetus, the cost of recovery, e.t.c. Not a big deal, but still a deal. Chernobyl IS a problem, no arguing in that, and recently Fukushima. Also, The more recent nuclear devices are far worse in terms of radiation than the Bombs dropped in Japan.

My overall point: The danger of a Nuke or a Nuclear meltdown is far worse than a Crater on the ground and a "hunger" effect, it is the reason why much countries haven't got Nuclear factories already (besides the costs, wich are mostly security related, to avoid those situations).

Edited 2 times, last by Viper8797 ().

• That is because a nuclear bombs radioactivity is primarily gamma-rays, which quickly spread and diffuse.

And, in your opinion, what does happen when a gamma ray (or a alpha-beta, they also are spread in huge amount when a bomb explode) hit an atom (the nucleus, ionizing is the part that is creating cancer etc ... but it does not last a long time) ?
    This one, depending on which it is, has a big chance to become radioactive (more than the others, because everybody know all nucleus are radioactives).

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Pretty much - the idea is similar to the ICBM mod's radioactive blocks, but a little less of a pain.

Alternately - rather than it being CPU intensive, there could be a block similar to Redstone Dust that gets littered at a 60-70% probability on top of any open block within 3-4x the radius of the explosion itself, up to a maximum of 20 or so blocks above the origin of the explosion. Specialized equipment would be necessary for survival, and the dust would emit a light level of 8 or so (to cut down mob spawns slightly). My thoughts on the light: Trace amounts of tritium can be found in nuclear bomb craters.

The one-shot radiation is a little unrealistic, IMO - too much so, to be honest. Either a dust block, or a single point at bomb origin that continuously poisons things within the radius (of course, with a clock on it that slowly lowers the radiation levels over time).

If a radioactive dust block were added, the particles could be swept up and compressed into an alternate nuclear fuel ingot.

Actually... brb, getting MCP and seeing how bad at modding I've gotten.

• If a radioactive dust block were added, the particles could be swept up and compressed into an alternate nuclear fuel ingot.

Lol. That would be a good reason of using nuke on PvP, then after having destroyed all your oponent base, turning if into more Fuel ^^
    In this case it should be like the max amount of radioactive dust = 2 Ura Ingot. (and it would also need an algorythm for Nuclear reactor to avoid Breeders + creating Ura cells to generate Uranium from nothing [or simply making the dust able to reform Ura-cells or Depleted Isotope cells and not Uranium Ingot])
    But ... that's a lot of suggestions for something that won't be implemented.

Edit: it seems that 480 Post = Third Pickaxe.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• look guys.. you are all right,

YES it has been suggested countles times before.
    BUT, alblaka denied it on several ocasions just as lightning rods were denied so many times before (forgive me)

just stand back for an moment and think technically, imagine the instant covering of an nuclear crater WITH and dust that has an lava/water like methode of interacting with the player. it would couse some serious lag for players not using powerfull computers to run it.

lets ignore the above text an moment and think diferent again,
    you know what? im not what i used to be to criticise idea's so i wil go with my old answer.

u want it? MOD it urself :)
    hapy coding sir

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• I like the idea, I would also like to see radioactivity when the reactor is running, radioactive intensity increases as EU production increases, this would allow for you to need to wear a special protective suit as you stated to be within a certain radius of the reactor without taking accumulative damage

• this would allow for you to need to wear a special protective suit as you stated to be within a certain radius of the reactor without taking accumulative damage

You mean kind of like how the HAZMAT suit is secondarily intended to be used?

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Indeed.
    Running Nuclear Reactors should passively output radiation based on their EU output. And it should inflict more debilitating effects, like the Mining Fatigue and Nausea that comes with drinking Beer, except at a prolonged duration.

"Being special is only good if it means you stand out above the rest. Not the kind of "special" that requires a caregiver to wipe your ass"

• dude, this thread is now 3 weeks old and considered outdated by most people

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.