Is there a limit to the number of EU packets per wire?

• I tried sending 16384 EU/t in 5 EU/p before, it didn't end well. Now I can send 32768 EU packets per tick and have ~85 FPS :D

Fusion Power Engineering Industries® Making Fusion™ Automation Chamber© is DONE!!!!!!!! HAYO!!!

Hint: Click the Automation Chamber text to see how it looks :D

• I tried sending 16384 EU/t in 5 EU/p before, it didn't end well. Now I can send 32768 EU packets per tick and have ~85 FPS

Think about that for a minute. :) 16384 EU a tick, in 5 EU a tick packets, means you are sending 3276.8 packets a tick. A tick is 1/20th of a second, so you are sending 65536 packets a SECOND. That's a lot of CPU load on your computer. :)

• Think about that for a minute. :) 16384 EU a tick, in 5 EU a tick packets, means you are sending 3276.8 packets a tick. A tick is 1/20th of a second, so you are sending 65536 packets a SECOND. That's a lot of CPU load on your computer. :)

I just want to say that a quad core or even a duel core cpu can do (i think) Trillions or at least Billions of operations every second so 65536 is nothing.

• Does it not depend on what type of variable they use for machines transmitting and receiving eu? Double, Single, Short, Single, I know there are differences between each, and that there is 1 with a limit of around 2.3 billion.

• I just want to say that a quad core or even a duel core cpu can do Trillions or at least Billions of operations every second so 65536 is nothing.

You misunderstand CPU's. The more important value for minecraft, is not the number of cores, but the speed, because minecraft will only ever use one core. And for trillions of operations per second, you would need a 1+ terahertz processor, which is absolutely ludicrous (or a 128 gHz octuple core, although you would only be able to use one core for MC) and most modern CPU's for desktops are around 3 gigahertz, so 3 billion 1/0's processed per second. Each of those 65536 packets uses something around 20,000 1/0's. so, 1.3 billion 1/0's. So almost half of a modern processor for one line, when you're already running a lot of operations at the same time. And the 20k is just an estimate, it might be more, might be less.

Either way, there is technically a limit to the number of packets in a line, and given that you can't have a partial packet, packets in one line per tick are probably stored in an integer, so 2,147,483,647 packets. If you actually have a computer that can handle that many, you could probably sell it for several billion dollars, given that it has about as much processing power as a large server farm.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• Official Post

No there isn't. Only Limit is your Computer.

Either way, there is technically a limit to the number of packets in a line, and given that you can't have a partial packet, packets in one line per tick are probably stored in an integer, so 2,147,483,647 packets. If you actually have a computer that can handle that many, you could probably sell it for several billion dollars, given that it has about as much processing power as a large server farm.

Yay, i wasnt wrong!

• You misunderstand CPU's. The more important value for minecraft, is not the number of cores, but the speed, because minecraft will only ever use one core. And for trillions of operations per second, you would need a 1+ terahertz processor, which is absolutely ludicrous (or a 128 gHz octuple core, although you would only be able to use one core for MC) and most modern CPU's for desktops are around 3 gigahertz, so 3 billion 1/0's processed per second. Each of those 65536 packets uses something around 20,000 1/0's. so, 1.3 billion 1/0's. So almost half of a modern processor for one line, when you're already running a lot of operations at the same time. And the 20k is just an estimate, it might be more, might be less.

I don't understand the inner workings of CPU as I haven't yet done a course, and I was only guessing, plus if you have optifine it spreads the load around the cores so core minecraft operations are on core 0 while everything else is on every other core.

• Think about that for a minute. 16384 EU a tick, in 5 EU a tick packets, means you are sending 3276.8 packets a tick. A tick is 1/20th of a second, so you are sending 65536 packets a SECOND. That's a lot of CPU load on your computer.
    I just want to say that a quad core or even a duel core cpu can do Trillions or at least Billions of operations every second so 65536 is nothing.

You misunderstand CPU's. The more important value for minecraft, is not the number of cores, but the speed, because minecraft will only ever use one core. And for trillions of operations per second, you would need a 1+ terahertz processor, which is absolutely ludicrous (or a 128 gHz octuple core, although you would only be able to use one core for MC) and most modern CPU's for desktops are around 3 gigahertz, so 3 billion 1/0's processed per second. Each of those 65536 packets uses something around 20,000 1/0's. so, 1.3 billion 1/0's. So almost half of a modern processor for one line, when you're already running a lot of operations at the same time. And the 20k is just an estimate, it might be more, might be less.

I don't understand the inner workings of CPU as I haven't yet done a course, and I was only guessing, plus if you have optifine it spreads the load around the cores so core minecraft operations are on core 0 while everything else is on every other core.

CPU calculations aren't that straight forward, for example a Ivy Bridge processor is faster than a Sandy Bridge processor with the same amount of cores at the same clock speed.

Also, I remember that Alblaka mentioned that once packets have established a route it's quite efficient. So I'm going to say that ENet uses some clever code so that it only needs to actually do calculations when it's modified (or maybe when packets move along a route for the first time).

• The Ivy is faster then Sandy because, Ivy has more transistors then Sandy, and so it can process more data at the same rate as Sandy. Its just like video cards, speed is on average the same across one gen of cards but the performance is different per card. Its not all about clock speed and/or number of cores. I once read a article about the human brain, it said that our brains are only about 400-600mhz but its super parallel so it can process a LOT of data slowing but, process it correctly. Wheres if it was the other way, where it was super fast but more serial, there is a much higher chance of it processing something incorrectly, which is bad. Just had to get that out there.