[Reactor Designs] The GregTech-Thread for Reactor Designs! (Please dont spam me like Rick, with tons of noobish Plans, PLEASE!!!)

• Any improvements I can make to these designs? Was going for a general throughput reactor with balanced EU/t and efficiency.

Reactor 1 - 401 EU/t
    Reactor 2 - 425 EU/t

Essentially the same reactor, but one uses an extra plutonium. Should probably run them at 40 second cycles as well, but running mark V is dangerous enough without components nearly dead. I also had this at 450 EU/t, but the ratio of plutonium to to thorium doesn't seem manageable.

• Ihave yet to do a lot of reactor work, so I tend to opt for my simple Thorium Breeder. The Filter setup I use for restocking the Isotopes has never in five cycles of this thing caused any excess heat, so overall it's a lot lower maintenance.
    Dump your Isotopes in a Chest. Filter instantly pulls eight out and triggers a delayed Repeater that turns the Reactor on just after the Isotopes land in. Charged cells get dragged out by a Filter (optional Centrifuge if you're looking for more Thorium), a new Isotope drops in from the Hopper right away, and the first Filter restocks it. I've yet to come up with a comfortable auto-shutoff system though, it's just a barbaric CCTurtle that acts like a counter on the Detector for now (manually inputting the number of cells you're dumping in when starting the program).

• Yep the thorium breeder should never cause excess heat as it can only cool down when the cells finish the breeding cycle. The issue with the LZH reactors is there is no regulation for the split second you need to pull the Condensor out and put the new one in (1-2 ticks perhaps) not too long but just long enough to let the reactor heat climb another 100ish, over the 50000 seconds the thorium runs assuming a 120 second re-lapis timer that adds up to about 41000 heat (Enough to push you from toasty to dead)

• Official Post

Since i use Steam Reactors, i need Reactor's with the most Surface Area for Liquiducts, so i tend to go with Stacks of 2 Chamber Reactors:
    :MFE-Transmitter: :Reactor: :MFE-Transmitter:

ect...
    I Usually use this Design:
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…2qvybi08km33n158e6nxogm4g

Or if i have Plenty of gold + Plutonium
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/v3/reactorplanner.html?43e2wsp3ycoxsxng9im7zfsef9sy56r1ttn43endld0hcbm84ie6pl0vdr9xunx3cpzsiscinl44cg0

Both arent exactly "Efficient"
    Whats the best Cheap* 2 Chamber Reactor?
    Noaw to go back to the Planner ~

*-ish

• Some reactors I posted in the [OFFICIAL] List of good reactor designs a while back. Although there might be some errors in the calculations.

Cheap efficient all-in-one breeder, plutonium, thorium reactor. 64 eu/t, and uses 0.265625 uranium per 10,000 seconds. Efficiency is extremely high. How high just depends on how you calculate it, but can be as high as 48.19. To get the process going you will need a few recharged isotope cells, which can easily be obtained like so.
    Breeder or this breeder. Only breeds 888 cells.
    Power house. 8720 EU/t (5331 EU/t effective).
    2400 recharged cells breeder.
    1320 recharged cells breeder.
    1680 recharged cells breeder. (Two of these with the power house + 4 industrial centrifuges can make an epic machine. 6150 EU/t out of 3 reactors if you control it correctly ofcourse. So 2050 EU/t per reactor, huge amount of thorium cells left (632.8 per power cycle (or 20000 seconds)) and very low amount of uranium used (95). This makes it the very efficient if I say so myself.(Efficiency of 25.9? (6150 EU/t * 20 ticks/s * 20000 s / 1000000 /95 = 25.895)))

Edited 3 times, last by SSD ().

• Official Post

Since i use Steam Reactors, i need Reactor's with the most Surface Area for Liquiducts, so i tend to go with Stacks of 2 Chamber Reactors

FALSE!

The 4-Chamber Reactor has more Surfaces, when using Liquiducts properly, and the 5 and 6 Chamber ones have the same amount of usable Surfaces, as the 4 Chamber Reactor, so with Liquiducts you can go full GREEN, although the green comes from all the nausea and vomitting, but still, green is green.

• SSD, our local GregTech reactor god.
    By the way, how are multi-fuel reactor neutron reflecting thingys calculated (e.g. plutonium & thorium cell side-by-side)

• Official Post

FALSE!

The 4-Chamber Reactor has more Surfaces, when using Liquiducts properly, and the 5 and 6 Chamber ones have the same amount of usable Surfaces, as the 4 Chamber Reactor, so with Liquiducts you can go full GREEN, although the green comes from all the nausea and vomitting, but still, green is green.

But honestly, which looks nicer:

= Bajillion EU

:Intergrated Plating: :MFE-Transmitter: :Intergrated Plating:

= 2 Bajillion EUAlthough you are right q.q
    Meh. My Lava Centrifuging Copper/Tin/Gold/Silver Machine is running slow atm, i guess i will only make 200 chambers for today.
    Hmmm... but where to get the Iron! TO THE ZOMBIE ZAPPER!!!!!

• I came up with (edit: cheaper version) this single-chamber quad-Thorium reactor, 28 EU/t and eff 7. It's more of a theoretical design I think since it's rather pricey to make, but maybe good for portable use?

Also here is another small reactor, a single-chamber Plutonium cell 50 EU/t design.

• Cheaper thorium reactor.

Cheaper plutonium reactor.

And 2 new designs which can work together to make a 706.75 eu/t effective combination of 1 breeder-hybrid and 2 power reactors. It needs 5.859 uranium per cycle (50,000 seconds) and produces 708 million EU from which 1.25 million EU is used to power industrial centrifuges (also copper and tin for the cells + 100 coaldust for the near-depleted uranium cells to depleted-isotope cells). It also takes 1/4th of a industrial centrifuge's time (it runs 25% of the time). Not taking into account the tin, copper and 100 coaldust needed (but I did take into account the EU's needed for the centrifuge) the efficiency will be 120.6. (Sorry in advance if any mistakes got into this post. It's pretty late here and I should be sleeping.)

And ofcourse I did make a lot of mistakes. Will fix them when I have time, but for now some extra links. 1 breeds 800 cells and not the amount I thought of while typing and sleeping because you get 5 times more cells recharged because of the length of the thorium cycle compared to a uranium cycle and 2 produces 420 eu/t.

Another hybrid reactor. This one needs 1.171875 uranium, 20 coaldust, 64 copper and 2.34375 tin per cycle and produces 138 million EU with 250,000 EU needed to centrifuge the recharged cells for a total of 137.75 million EU and therefor an efficiency of 117.546667.

Edited 3 times, last by SSD ().

• Cheaper thorium reactor.

Cheaper plutonium reactor.

And 2 new designs which can work together to make a 706.75 eu/t effective combination of 1 breeder-hybrid and 2 power reactors. It needs 5.859 uranium per cycle (50,000 seconds) and produces 708 million EU from which 1.25 million EU is used to power industrial centrifuges (also copper and tin for the cells + 100 coaldust for the near-depleted uranium cells to depleted-isotope cells). It also takes 1/4th of a industrial centrifuge's time (it runs 25% of the time). Not taking into account the tin, copper and 100 coaldust needed (but I did take into account the EU's needed for the centrifuge) the efficiency will be 120.6. (Sorry in advance if any mistakes got into this post. It's pretty late here and I should be sleeping.)

I'm not much for optimizing MK I reactors, but your power reactors can be improved greatly. This, for example, is strictly better. In terms of efficiency, I found maximizing EU/t per heat generated is very important. This boils down to Quad thorium, and single plutonium together. Another Quad thorium cell gets you up to 420 EU/t as well. Just reiterating, I have no clue how to do heat fan layouts, and someone could probably do those way more effectively.

Join the dark side of Mark V's sometime.

• edit: fixed messed up quotes

The Portapack : 32EU/t, 3.2/5 Thorium based reactor, for your low voltage outpost power needs.

Note: this could be arranged to get 33EU/t, with 1 less thorium cell (3.67/5) but then would no longer qualify for a LV supply (I use this to provide steam for my engines powering my oil wells).

I liked this idea. You can power all kind of LV things with it. I tried making my own 32eu/tick reactor, then compared yours and mine, and figured out how to refine my design a bit. It still uses 10 thorium cells, but is a tiny bit better on the resources needed for the cooling. I tried all sorts of combinations, but couldn't find any combinations of fewer cells to generate exactly 32eu/tick without needing the resource hungry reflectors.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…xlpb83uuo4u3evlw6nf1lg3r4

• Technically this is more thorium in a single-chamber reactor, but I did use 3 quad-cells and a single cell. It produces 58 EU/t with an efficiency of 4.46

• :D
    I meant to add, cheap & single single-cell Thorium reactor, my mistake. It's a good design though!

Technically this is more thorium in a single-chamber reactor, but I did use 3 quad-cells and a single cell. It produces 58 EU/t with an efficiency of 4.46

BTW how many single-cell Thorium can we fit into a 6 chamber reactor? I was able to get 29, which makes 124 EU/t and 4.24 eff., good and cheap reactor too. I couldn't figure out how to put any more, but just 1 more cell would make a neat 128 EU/t reactor... :) but I don't see any way to get the cooling needed to make a Mark 1 reactor.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…n2als6el2agl1p0zuf1gigo3k

I'm building these to use the output of a Blaze farm... turning the Blaze Rod into Thorium Cell.

• Could you please explain how you make thorium out of blaze rods? I know how to do it with monazit, but blaze rods and thorium aren't linked in any way in my NEI.

@below. Thanks sir, didn't think of the coaldust as a step between the blaze powder and the thorium.

Edited 2 times, last by SSD ().