Blocking code in IC2?

• Yes I am worried about modders putting in exploding bees or something similar.

I think you need to look into why that happened in the first place, Sengir got really pissed over an extended period of time. This doesn't corrupt worlds or anything, it's just a minor annoyance for not adhering to the simple policy of giving credit.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• I think you need to look into why that happened in the first place, Sengir got really pissed over an extended period of time. This doesn't corrupt worlds or anything, it's just a minor annoyance for not adhering to the simple policy of giving credit.

It turned bees into exploding bees and destoryed people worlds, you know only a minor annoyance.

• It turned bees into exploding bees and destoryed people worlds, you know only a minor annoyance.

I was talking about IC2, not Forestry.

EDIT: Also the exploding bees weren't actually all that bad, I think they were slightly blown out of proportion by Technic.

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Well both GregT and RichyG both have put malware into their code in the past to stop players from using their mods.

To stop using their mods? I believe you're going extreme here. Who the hell would make a mod so that nobody could use it?

What they did is that they did not want certain modpacks whom they anticipated would redistribute their mods without permission to do so through coding. And his profile states that it is perfectly okay for users of the T***** pack to make modifications to GregTech to do so, but not the authors of the modpack themselves to implement such modifications into the version of GregTech supplied by T*****.

• Well both GregT and RichyG both have put malware into their code in the past to stop players from using their mods.

To stop certain users aka modpacks users/creators no all users. They are sharing their creations for free, the least you could do is follow the few "stupid"(Defines not as something bad, but incredible easy that i don't know why would anyone not follow them) rules they have so you can use their stuff without worrying.

• To stop using their mods? I believe you're going extreme here. Who the hell would make a mod so that nobody could use it?

What they did is that they did not want certain modpacks whom they anticipated would redistribute their mods without permission to do so through coding. And his profile states that it is perfectly okay for users of the T***** pack to make modifications to GregTech to do so, but not the authors of the modpack themselves to implement such modifications into the version of GregTech supplied by T*****.

But tekkit never put gregtech in their pack only some server ops did so it was hurtin the players not the mod pack makers.

• But tekkit never put gregtech in their pack only some server ops did so it was hurtin the players not the mod pack makers.

No Tekkit people have ever used GregTech (or at least not ones that have not gone to the length of decompiling it) as the code stopping it from being run on Tekkit has been in from literally the very beginning.

• So he has been trying to hurt players from the very start and not try and let people play his mod?

I'm pretty sure he decided he didn't want to deal with Technic people, and therefore stopped them from using his mod. You're not the first to try and argue this, and I can guarantee you won't be the last, but I've seen pretty much every argument pertaining to this subject before.

• If you don't put in harmful code it hurts no one. I just don't understand why people put malicious code in their mods its just weird to me.

That 'malicious' word is taken out of context, and is honestly innacurate. If you've seen the code, all it does is make sure MC isn't using that specific filepath for its resources, and if so, displays an achievement-based message to notify the player. How would this be considered malicious or unjust in any way?

Like Alblaka said, I'm pretty sure the byte[]-encoded strings were just RG playing around. If he wanted this code to be actually hidden he would have this be handled by a separate server.

• Official Post

Could have just been civil like CovertJags and railcraft and asked them to not include it insted of hurting players.

Just, to clear that up: I will remove that Code as soon as they ask me to include it. This is to prevent their commonly known "add Mod and ask much later"-policy. And to test, if they are really not putting that tiny bit of effort to ask before, instead of using a hackish way of including it into their Pack (I'm talking about the creators, not the Users, the Users can hack whatever the fuck they want).

I don't think you quite understand what "malware" is. From dictionary.com: "software intended to damage a computer, mobile device, computer system, or computer network, or to take partial control over its operation." The code that is in IC2 and GregTech to prevent them from being used in offending modpacks does not damage the computer or its network, nor does it take control over its operation. It simply deactivate the mod in that specific modpack. Stop making false accusations that blow things out of proportion; it makes you seem very immature.

• Official Post

That attempt to block people from including the mod in unwanted modpacks just shows me how immature the author is.

How would you like people coming over to your house, and using your stuff without your permission? Of course you don't like that, so you put a lock on your door to keep unauthorized people out. It's the same concept, yet many people just don't get it.

Lesson 1: Watch over your crops....

• How would you like people coming over to your house, and using your stuff without your permission? Of course you don't like that, so you put a lock on your door to keep unauthorized people out. It's the same concept, yet many people just don't get it.

There is a huge difference between code and my stuff in my house: code cannot be stolen, just copied, therefore your analogy fails.

Imagine this: someone comes to your home, likes your decoration and decorates his home in the same way as yours. What are you going to do now? Sue him? Put locks on the door and never let anyone in again? Force people to wear blindfolds inside your home? Or just accept that no one harmed you in any way by using the same interior decoration?