[Official] New Reactors design thread.

• With Gregtech 5 installed, I'm pretty sure the only way to get U-235 is to centrifuge uranium-238 Dust. You get a 20% chance to get a tiny pile of U-235. It costs ~230,000 energy though in a centrifuge. (Note centrifuge, not thermal centrifuge). There may be U-235 ore, but I haven't found it yet. I haven't done much quarrying though

I checked the metadata values via NEI (and NEI Integration). Uranium 235 ore has metadata 97, but the default WorldGeneration.cfg file uses metadata 98 (Uranium 238 ) for the Uranium ores in both Plutonium veins and Pitchblende veins. However, due to the existence of Plutonium ore in GregTech, I think you can actually make MOX fuel more easily than Uranium fuel. If you're using the 5.08 version of GregTech that Blood Asp made, you even have the option of making thorium fuel rods.

• Top level uranium:

* Eu/tick: 255
    * Efficiency: 4.64
    * Fuel: 11 uranium cells
    * Cost: Iron 305, Copper 963, Tin 97, Gold 94, Diamond 0
    * Running costs: 0 UU

here

• With Gregtech 5 installed, I'm pretty sure the only way to get U-235 is to centrifuge uranium-238 Dust. You get a 20% chance to get a tiny pile of U-235. It costs ~230,000 energy though in a centrifuge. (Note centrifuge, not thermal centrifuge). There may be U-235 ore, but I haven't found it yet. I haven't done much quarrying though

Make your own Gt oremix via Config(world generation) and you can found the Ores you want.

• Hey guys, i decided to join in to share my reactor designs. Currently i did about half a dozen wich were designed as Fluid Reactors, so they produrce a lot of heat while the EU production is secondary; and basicly they are just 2 Designs with several optimizations added.
    Since i used them with the experimental version I am only able to tell you their UUM running costs.

My first attempt:
    Highest Overall Efficiency, very expensive

Eu/tick: 285
    Efficiency: 4.75
    Overall Efficiency 4.35
    Cost: Iron 380, Copper 815, Tin 113, Gold 40, Lapis 2, Diamonds 5
    Running costs: 26,4 UU

I can post you another design if interested: 335EU @ 3,94Efficiency but 6 Diamonds needed.

• Official Post

With a little tweaking, you can get 300 EU/t out of that reactor: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…xli2yc5su115pljdkqpu3qrcw Doing so also makes it a diamond cheaper, at the expense of another dual fuel rod rather than single. The efficiency does drop a little however.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• The main reason i posted it because it raised the bar for efficiency a little higher; anyway you are right with your suggestion. I also did some tweaking yesterday and found another option (still with an decent efficiency of 4,43 and overall 3,93) and squeezed 310 EU/t out of it: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…f94r5n9xen0t2wcz3zilvadxc
    However, this raises it's diamond usage to 6. Luckily just once, but 6 diamonds are nothing for the early game.

Theoreticly, you have 4 cooling capacity left but i do'nt see any spot yet to fit in an addutional single cell. Tweaking goes on!

• For some reason when I try to look at the reactor planner it redirects me to a java download, but I have the newest version and have tried downloading the version they give but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

• Because it requires a java 8 version. Simply download the Reactor planner and say Paste URL, Also that downloaded Reactor planner works like the online one its just an offline version...
    And it runs with Java 7

• Official Post

It doesn't require Java 8, I'm pretty sure it was made using Java 6, and it's just Java is upset that it's outdated. I've got Java 7 and can see it fine once you've set it to an exception in the java options.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• I have the same problem for some reasons... Well, I have the offline one at least ;)

• In a server running on the Test Pack, Please Ignore modpack (IC2 Experimental 2.0.397), making the previously stable reactor listed in the original post as "Mid Power, low running cost" (link: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…6ucaceovy6uixc92gxt2grpxc ) is no longer stable, and overheats after a relatively short amount of time, after the Heat Exchanger in the bottom right overheats, causing the Overclocked Heat Vents around it to also go up.

Does anybody have a simple suggestion for a solution that won't require an entire reactor redesign? I didn't think much had changed as to the internals of reactors in that build.

• Official Post

Does anybody have a simple suggestion for a solution that won't require an entire reactor redesign? I didn't think much had changed as to the internals of reactors in that build.

It'll need totally redesigning, there's no room to push components about to shift the heat. It's lacking cooling by 8 heat per reactor tick but there isn't any way I can see to get the extra cooling without melting vents, which defeats the point.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

The whole planner is outdated, not just it's crafting recipes.

I see this too much.

• These are all great, but I find that nearly every single one that has non-identical rod sizes isn't very viable for normal, automated use.

*Puts these here*
    "Golden Beast"
    Very good as a standalone nuclear reactor, works perfect for 5x5, one of my personal favorites, no diamonds required

"MOX Mayhem"
    This one is an amazing MOX design that benefits from high heat, but never siphons off from the hull, allowing this baby to just simmer at peak efficiency without worry.
    {Surprisingly enough, works with 5x5 reactors, since the vents are the only thing to gather heat, and 5x5 don't passively cool...}

Some of my other designs are kinda just unique to their application. Like my reactor that I use for biofuel generation, or my blast furnaces. You'd be surprised at how many places reactors can fit right in

• I think your golden beast is pretty nice. It gets outperformed by one of the reactors on the list thought. Yours should be a bit cheaper but lets be honest, by the time you make 5x5 the cost is not really an issue.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…6ucaceovy6uixc92gxt2grpxc

higher efficiency, slighly higher output and uses dual rods instead of quad cores. The efficiency is still a bit to low in my taste for 5x5 but i think this one is the best easily automated core design for 5x5

The mox reactor is less good than the ones found in the mox thread, ou should take a look at those. In my experience mox in 5x5 is not very good. It's better to stick with regular mox. Also have you tried it? I'm quite certain that reactor would lead to a crater if you tried to run it as a 5x5 mox

Edit:
    I tested the old design in the new reactor planner and there the reactor overheated. If that is the case your design would be the better one. Im making an updated list so i will be adding your design there for best efficiency while easy to automate

A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am i or are the other crazy

Edited 5 times, last by Blackpalt ().