Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator....?

• Although I personally think that principles like Science and Education are above the concepts of patriotism for nationalities.

I agree, but as countries always subsidize Science (or almost) to get any political/economical/military advantage ... Seriously, do you think the Manhatan project has been funded for "human species" ? ^^ That's as if I was telling France chose Nuclear to learn about Nuclear Physic. You'd answer me "no, that was just to be able to generate its own energy". It is often thought that great scientist are making Science just because they love that and want the mankind in general to improve. Some are like that. But not that much, that'd be forgetting the fact the 2 things that probably contribute the most to Science (as for money): army and big companies ^^

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• And what if its a Nation of Science?

I think the only thing we had that was like that was ancient Greece. We have yet to replicate that in this day and age...
    (Well, maybe the Nordic countries, lol...)

I agree, but as countries always subsidize Science (or almost) to get any political/economical/military advantage ... Seriously, do you think the Manhatan project has been funded for "human species" ? ^^ That's as if I was telling France chose Nuclear to learn about Nuclear Physic. You'd answer me "no, that was just to be able to generate its own energy". It is often thought that great scientist are making Science just because they love that and want the mankind in general to improve. Some are like that. But not that much, that'd be forgetting the fact the 2 things that probably contribute the most to Science (as for money): army and big companies ^^

Well, granted. But at the same time, from everything that we have been able to derive from those pursues had expanded our knowledge greatly in other fields. Like with medicine and commercial energy, the concepts of harnessing the atom to create energy has many applications. True, those applications can be hideously destructive when directed to warfare, but it's not the only application for such knowledge. These derivative applications, stem from a scientific discovery being applied in a different way or angle, which can also enable further derivative applications of that knowledge if they are successful. The point is, the discoveries in science (so I believe), can stand independent from the political environments that created them, because that knowledge can be applied in a vast multitude of unintended ways. And no government on this Earth has 100% control over every application of scientific knowledge. Well, without imposing some extreme forms of censorship, that is. And even then, it can't prevent the human conditional ability of innovation...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• I think the only thing we had that was like that was ancient Greece. We have yet to replicate that in this day and age...
    (Well, maybe the Nordic countries, lol...)

Well, granted. But at the same time, from everything that we have been able to derive from those pursues had expanded our knowledge greatly in other fields. Like with medicine and commercial energy, the concepts of harnessing the atom to create energy has many applications. True, those applications can be hideously destructive when directed to warfare, but it's not the only application for such knowledge. These derivative applications, stem from a scientific discovery being applied in a different way or angle, which can also enable further derivative applications of that knowledge if they are successful. The point is, the discoveries in science (so I believe), can stand independent from the political environments that created them, because that knowledge can be applied in a vast multitude of unintended ways. And no government on this Earth has 100% control over every application of scientific knowledge. Well, without imposing some extreme forms of censorship, that is. And even then, it can't prevent the human conditional ability of innovation...

Like lasers. The same laser used for peaceful mining can be used as an effective weapon :):Mining Laser:

that helium's energy would then be converted into heat, then used to make steam, then used to make electricity.

And that where you are unfortunately wrong. It is feasible to directly convert energetic alpha particle into electricity, by slamming it to the reactor wall charged with +1.5 million volts, and it will generate electricity... Although it will generate a lot of heat .The direct conversion process is about 70%, so a 100 MW fusion output reactor would generate 70 MW electrical and 30 MW heat!!, although it will be more efficient than to convert alpha particle to heat that used to drive a steam turbine, as steam turbine efficiency is about 37%, so the same 100 fusion output reactor would generate 37 MW electrical and 63 MW heat!!!!!!! And that is a lot of waste heat that should go somewhere! Fortunately, that same 30 MW waste heat from direct conversion could be used to drive a steam turbine, so the same 100 MW fusion output reactor could generate 70 MW electrical, and that 30 MW heat is used to drive that same 37% efficient turbine can generate 11.1 MW electrical and 18.9 MW heat, which is more manageable.

Dota 2 player at SEA server.

For me nothing is OP. It just a mod for fun and I'm playing it for fun. Unless it created items from nothing. Automining not included, neither do in case of self replicating machine. However GregTech is still good, so:

GregTech Documentation Task Force Needed!

• Official Post

Like lasers. The same laser used for peaceful mining can be used as an effective weapon :) :Mining Laser:

And that where you are unfortunately wrong. It is feasible to directly convert energetic alpha particle into electricity, by slamming it to the reactor wall charged with +1.5 million volts, and it will generate electricity... Although it will generate a lot of heat .The direct conversion process is about 70%, so a 100 MW fusion output reactor would generate 70 MW electrical and 30 MW heat!!, although it will be more efficient than to convert alpha particle to heat that used to drive a steam turbine, as steam turbine efficiency is about 37%, so the same 100 fusion output reactor would generate 37 MW electrical and 63 MW heat!!!!!!! And that is a lot of waste heat that should go somewhere! Fortunately, that same 30 MW waste heat from direct conversion could be used to drive a steam turbine, so the same 100 MW fusion output reactor could generate 70 MW electrical, and that 30 MW heat is used to drive that same 37% efficient turbine can generate 11.1 MW electrical and 18.9 MW heat, which is more manageable.

But the heat is what you actually use to heat the steam and generate electricity....
    USE BOTH!!!!

• And that where you are unfortunately wrong. It is feasible to directly convert energetic alpha particle into electricity, by slamming it to the reactor wall charged with +1.5 million volts, and it will generate electricity... Although it will generate a lot of heat .The direct conversion process is about 70%, so a 100 MW fusion output reactor would generate 70 MW electrical and 30 MW heat!!, although it will be more efficient than to convert alpha particle to heat that used to drive a steam turbine, as steam turbine efficiency is about 37%, so the same 100 fusion output reactor would generate 37 MW electrical and 63 MW heat!!!!!!! And that is a lot of waste heat that should go somewhere! Fortunately, that same 30 MW waste heat from direct conversion could be used to drive a steam turbine, so the same 100 MW fusion output reactor could generate 70 MW electrical, and that 30 MW heat is used to drive that same 37% efficient turbine can generate 11.1 MW electrical and 18.9 MW heat, which is more manageable.

Could you please add a link to "prove" that ? Because I assume harnessing ionized particles on a wall ... is quite hard lol. It'd also be the quicker way to turn your wall into radioactive waste :)

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Could you please add a link to "prove" that ? Because I assume harnessing ionized particles on a wall ... is quite hard lol. It'd also be the quicker way to turn your wall into radioactive waste :)

Quote fail.

This. And for the turbines, something you need to build that looks a little like the ones from Atomic science. Feed your reactor Water, then it emits actual steam from nearby, if your near you get radiation poisoning but if you are really close the Steam scalds you! Place the turbine ontop and the reactor in an enclosed area, steam goes up into turbine, eu produced :D

If you are going for realism then that would not happen. Radiation poisoning from steam is not really that realistic. As a matter of fact 5 feet of water is enough to protect you from most forms of harmful radiation. The steam produced would not be harmful unless you had a catastrophic reactor melt down in which some of the radioactive contents leak.

I like the idea of the multi-block reactor, I actually suggested something like that before but it was shot down because of the other ideas I posted. I was thinking perhaps a heat exchange block, and some pipes to transport the heated water through the turbine and to a system of cooling pipes surrounded by water.

• Official Post

If you are going for realism then that would not happen. Radiation poisoning from steam is not really that realistic. As a matter of fact 5 feet of water is enough to protect you from most forms of harmful radiation. The steam produced would not be harmful unless you had a catastrophic reactor melt down in which some of the radioactive contents leak.

I like the idea of the multi-block reactor, I actually suggested something like that before but it was shot down because of the other ideas I posted. I was thinking perhaps a heat exchange block, and some pipes to transport the heated water through the turbine and to a system of cooling pipes surrounded by water.

1. Dont necro post
    and 2. I didnt mean the Steam irradiated you, it burns you.
    You know.
    Cause its steam.

• 1. Dont necro post
    and 2. I didnt mean the Steam irradiated you, it burns you.
    You know.
    Cause its steam.

Steam just burns you. Tough it is very useful.

The only thing that is dangerous and irradiates you is Origin, stay away from it! :P

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Steam doesnt burn you. It cooks you. But it is hot so you will get damage.

Steam can be ejected of machines at very high temperatures, of course, water steam formed by water at 100 degrees only cooks, but ejected from a machine at 300, 500 or 800 degrees (whatever temperature you feel like, it only needs to be high), and it will burn you.

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Official Post

I am guessing this thread is dead.

99% of threads are Dead.
    If a Thread is dead, and the last post was from ages ago, dont necro post it, especially saying "I think this is dead"...

• 99% of threads are Dead.
    If a Thread is dead, and the last post was from ages ago, dont necro post it, especially saying "I think this is dead"...

Godfamned necro-posters, they will be the cause of the zombie apocalypse :D

• I'm just going to leave this right here.

Also, if we're including gregtech, and thus Thorium, into this discussion... definitely need to consider Molten Salt Reactors. And nuclear batteries... because a huger version of the single use battery is certainly needed.

And the fact that a steam turbine is definitely not the only way to turn heat into electricity.

• Official Post

Since this post has past the Resurrection Ritual (thx brandc -_-), we can proccede with complaining what greg should add and what should go in the hidden secret "Super Awesome Nuclear Industrial Conflict" mod that only us Monarchs and Dragons can view.