[GregTech] Science! Show and discouss concepts of Machines, and their underlying Math

• Official Post

It's percentage. And it's not that much.

I NEED NUMBARZ

• Official Post

Its not the Carbon you need to worry about, its the Hydrogen :P
    Also, anyone know how much more Efficient each Heat vent makes a machine? Is it percentage?

Hydrogen can be electrolyzed from water.
    Carbon is the only non-produceable thingy, so the net worth is 15k per carbon cell.
    Greg, can you please tell us the percentage? I may use them to increase net worth / reduce energy costs on other machines...

• Just thought of a way to store very large amounts of EU in very small spaces with very little EU loss. I know others have thought of this before, but it's not in this thread, so...

this requires thermal Expansion and Railcraft in addition to Gregtech, by the way.

Basically, you use hydrogen (which requires water, basically free, and Eu) to fuel a steam boiler, which obviously produces MJ. You use this MJ to fuel a Magma crucible filled with cobblestone (Igneous Extruders are designed for this), which then produces lava. This lava can then be stored in a Quantum tank, allowing you to store 60,000,000,000 EU in a single block. To access this, all you need is a liquiduct attached to the tank with a lever next to it, feeding into thermal generators.

As for the losses involved in the operation, the conversion ratio of EU to MJ for steam boilers is about 9 EU : 7 MJ (refer to this thread if you want to go over my math on that) which means that for every 30k eu going in, about 23333.333333333333333333333333333 MJ will come out. This is enough MJ to make 0.97222222222222222222222222222222 lava, which is 29166.666666666666666666666666667 eu coming out after conversion. This is a loss of 833.33333333333333333333333334 eu per 30,000, which is a 2.7777777777777777777777777778% loss in total EU. Which is pretty negligable, especially at the point where you would actually WANT to store 60 billion EU in a single block.

This method would probably be perfect for storing the EU of a fusion reactor, though you would need a large amount of steam boilers to process all of it.

• This method would probably be perfect for storing the EU of a fusion reactor, though you would need a large amount of steam boilers to process all of it.

You know what a better way to store the output of a fusion reactor is? Storing the plasma directly in a quantum tank. Wayyy higher energy density than anything else and it involves no complex sub-steps or any loss.

• You know what a better way to store the output of a fusion reactor is? Storing the plasma directly in a quantum tank. Wayyy higher energy density than anything else and it involves no complex sub-steps or any loss.

... That too, lol.

• Steam can also make EU and the other MJ, but that's more troublesome. And FZ Charge.

The lava as storage is pretty common, but still cool.

• Official Post

Hey, quick question here. What's the blue-colored MSFU? It's a bit hard to look around the GregTech wiki.

The First one is the AESU (Adjustable Energy Storage unit) And it stores 100 Million. You can adjust from the GUI the output.
    The Second is the IDSU (Interdimensional Storage Unit) Which is like a Vanilla Enderchest for energy.

• It seems like your Bio Diesel Cell ought to be registered as equivalent to Forestry's Ethanol. SirSengir changed the name of the former Biofuel, you see. Or did I miss something? Right now, Diesel Cell is equivalent to Fuel, after all.

Edit: I just realized that oceans will soon be my best resource... Can't wait for Eloraam's next update. I'll have a Tetrahedron-shaped sky fortress pumping water up through a tacky wool "syphon-hurricane". Assuming Frame movement doesn't break everything, of course. How well do GregTech machines work with Frames, btw?

• Official Post

Why has no one abused the fact Railcraft's crushed obsidian can be put in a sand generator instead of sand for infinite obsidian dust? Is there anyway to turn obsidian dust back to obsidian anymore?

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

Why has no one abused the fact Railcraft's crushed obsidian can be put in a sand generator instead of sand for infinite obsidian dust? Is there anyway to turn obsidian dust back to obsidian anymore?

Necroposting! Jk.

Because that is not science, but a stupid exploit. You could do the same for dragon eggs.