Addon Request/Suggestion: Compact Generators

• Basically the same idea as compact solars, but applied to generators. Mainly intended for servers, and people who want to use generator power but don't want a giant wall of them to meet their production demands.
    It would also be nice if a small buff to eu produced could be applied, to help buff generators a smidgeon. (something small, like a 5% buff for the lowest tier, increasing by an additional 5% per tier increase)
    Also, it would be nice to change the automation sides so that all sides input into the burn slot, with the battery charging slot either being removed entirely or becoming manual-only.

As for the actual crafting recipes;

G = generator (a number beside it is its tier)
    L = LV Transformer
    M = MV Transformer
    U = Transformer Upgrade
    H = HV Transformer

LV Generator:

. G .
    G L G

Generates at 32 eu/p (I really don't think the added 2 eu/t matters too much, and it helps with stepping up the voltage ladder)

MV Generator:

. G1 .
    G1MG1
    . G1 .

Generates at 128 eu/p

HV Generator:

. G2 .
    G2 U G2
    . G2 .

Generates at 512 eu/p

And I'm sure you can guess the last one.

Also, maybe another addon which does the same for the Gregtech generators? Although, without the extra eu, since those generators already buff their fuels.

• Generaors are not even exspensive, and only used in early- and midgame, and they are never used in masses. Nobody would need Compact Gens.

I disagree. You need that kind of stuff if your energy is only based on Biofuel thingies or such, like *thingthatyoucan'tusewithefficiencywithoutGT*

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Well, this was actually meant as a way to make vanilla IC2 generators actually a viable option against the steam boiler, without trying to outclass it. I just think it's a shame that generators are seen as nothing more then a stepping stone to other forms of power...

• it's a shame that generators are seen as nothing more then a stepping stone to other forms of power...

Because they ARE stepping stones to other form of power. That's why it's required in all the recipes leading up to more advance methods of power generation

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Well, this was actually meant as a way to make vanilla IC2 generators actually a viable option against the steam boiler, without trying to outclass it. I just think it's a shame that generators are seen as nothing more then a stepping stone to other forms of power...

I agree. Generators seem to be rather underpowered, to the point where I usually go into the configs and set their power output to 32 eu/t to balance them out. At that point, it's actually quite feasible to power a base on generators, as opposed to any other form of powergen.

It has become a little stubbly. Implement facial hair growth in IC²? Vision continuously grows more furry until you shave. (approx once every 2 minecraft days ;P)

Steve shaves with his chainsaw.
    Check out Factorio- A game where you build a factory from scratch.

• I agree. Generators seem to be rather underpowered, to the point where I usually go into the configs and set their power output to 32 eu/t to balance them out. At that point, it's actually quite feasible to power a base on generators, as opposed to any other form of powergen.

But they are, in fact, meant as bad basic power supply!

• I agree. Generators seem to be rather underpowered, to the point where I usually go into the configs and set their power output to 32 eu/t to balance them out. At that point, it's actually quite feasible to power a base on generators, as opposed to any other form of powergen.

That's a little overboard, considering their low cost, but to each their own.

But they are, in fact, meant as bad basic power supply!

Yeah, I know. I don't see why I have to either have a massive, laggy wall of generators and automation just to power my base with wood or blaze rods, or build an expensive steam boiler which ends up producing nothing and wasting a huge amount of fuel and my time because it was in the wrong chunk.

Maybe buffing the generator is a bit much, and I'm not saying that I want them to be better then steam boilers, but it would still be nice if they were an actual option.

EDIT: Also, It would be nice if the Gregtech generators could have compact versions, simply for lag reduction. Particularly the Gas Turbine, since it already requires massive walls of machines to process things into fuel for it, so why should I need to make another wall just as large to burn it?
    the semi-fluid generator would also be nice to have a compact version of, as well as the diesel generator.
    I'm still debating about whether the thermal would be considered too OP with a compact version.. But I suppose people will use it regardless, so might as well give them a method of reducing its lag a bit.

• So now you even tell everyone Gregtech would Lag?!

• Official Post

The only laggy thing about them is MEGA USING DAMN AE CABLES WITH THEM ARRR
    And Generators are fine, Spwnx used like 50 filled constantly with Charcoal from a redwood farm to power his matterfab, and had a good 400eu/t on it.

• Ah.

Well, it would also be nice to be able to save space, but if there's not an actual problem with the generators themselves lagging, then I suppose there's not much practical purpose to this besides space saving.

• If I was great with Java coding I would be interested into trying to make this addon. Since these are generators and there's probably over 100 fuel types out there in the ForgeWorld. It would be getting to a sort of.. unbalanced state.

If you have GT installed,then go to config option,i think you can configure how much base power you want for both Normal Gen and Geothermal one...Well i don't think on 1.5 updates tho since they literally change the whole config thingy up :(

• So now you even tell everyone Gregtech would Lag?!

Gregtech never lags,try convert them to TG(Thermal Generator) IT's more compact and useful with lavas without using too much of them,more easier way and more compact way...AFTER YOU GO TO THE NETHER AND FIND A NETHER POOL OF LAVA OF COURSE!!!!!!!!It would be a waste just to make generator...Waste of iron,go at least get some geothermal one so you don't waste too much of them...but in return you waste...i think not much but some good ammount of tin for the cells....an easier method i suppose along with the ender tank or the liquid tesseract,perhaps with a buffer of an iron tank as well ;)

• I would modify the recipes and how many tiers there would be. Seeing this gives me a bunch of ideas of how to implement it.