Solar panels use quarts

• Coal dust is pointless =P
    It should be replaced by copper (plates) as it is one of possible metals used alongside a layer of SiO2

Copper is pretty corrosion metal, especially when in form of thin films. AFAIK nano-technology usually uses gold for making conductors inside chips, not for solars of course, but it can be much better in case of minecraft since gold is relatively rare, so using it will help to stop spamming solars.

• Official Post

Gold? Rare? Dude, I have more Gold than IRON. I want to get rid of all the Gold I have. That Stuff is worthless even though its being used in Electrum for all my Circuitry (Well, I'm low on Silver so I cant produce much Electrum).

I can sell you a bunch of Electrum, i got like 5 Stacks of blocks.

• Gold? Rare? Dude, I have more Gold than IRON. I want to get rid of all the Gold I have. That Stuff is worthless even though its being used in Electrum for all my Circuitry (Well, I'm low on Silver so I cant produce much Electrum).

Well, then it is another reason to use it in solars. ^^
    Seriously, I have opposite situation, e.g. I spend gold on other addons, bit by bit, but as result I have less gold than silver. Besides it is sometimes hard to find it if you not using auto-mining tools.

• Gold is a funny one for me, I either have so much gold its coming out of my ears and I end up throwing it in the recyclers or not enough. Never the Goldilocks amount.

• Official Post

You could build a Bank!

Or throw gold blocks at people

• You could build a Bank!

But wouldn't a solid gold bank be redundant? Why not just build a giant gold block out of gold blocks?

:Nuke TNT: = Answer to all problems. Including that creeper camping right outside the door of your glass house.

• But wouldn't a solid gold bank be redundant? Why not just build a giant gold block out of gold blocks?

Where's the fun in that? (says this while killing fainting his 1024th Audino while trying to find a Metagross)

• Following that theory solars would use lapis, alongside coal.

Who needs silicon in a solar panel? this is minecraft!

Gregtech isn't a normal mod, its goal is apparently to add as much realism and mind boggling complexity to ic2 as possible. Some crave the challenge, others want to maim Greg for his views and how he applies them to the mod. A good idea is to avoid doing anything to further incite any more tension between gregtech fanboys and gregtech haters, the resulting flame war is always brutal.

• Official Post

Gregtech isn't a normal mod, its goal is apparently to add as much realism and mind boggling complexity to ic2 as possible. Some crave the challenge, others want to maim Greg for his views and how he applies them to the mod. A good idea is to avoid doing anything to further incite any more tension between gregtech fanboys and gregtech haters, the resulting flame war is always brutal.

I didnt say anything about gregtech, and i was refering to Si element (which quartz and glass have, with the first having a better elemental structure allowing better light usage), not GT silicon plates.

• If I'm not mistaken, native quartz is Nether ore, so would be harder to obtain than simple Glass.
    Coal Dust is limited blackness. And it seems it is the reason it used in recipe.
    So I think better solution would be to make more efficient solar panel with harder to obtain/more expensive materials. Quartz panels, thin compressed copper/gold/lapis plates, may be even obsidian dust for blackness.

• Official Post

IC2 Colour Logic:
    Blue things store energy well
    Black things are Hot
    Contrast makes it better
    Red things are fast

• If I'm not mistaken, native quartz is Nether ore, so would be harder to obtain than simple Glass...

Not that hard after you reach the Nether. About the same rarity as Iron in the Overworld. Plus, it forces players to reconsider the idea of spamming said panels as their cost has increased. Course, you could argue that once you reach the Nether, Geothermal is king. I'd say that the player should decide on which of the two resources to exploit the most...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Quartz is SiO² so it contains silicium which is used in realworld for solar panels, making this more realistic than some coal dust.
    Maybe increase the energy-output for the higher price??

It´s not only an idea, it´s the future.

• Quartz is SiO² so it contains silicium which is used in realworld for solar panels, making this more realistic than some coal dust.
    Maybe increase the energy-output for the higher price??

You do realize, that in english, "silicium" is not a word? Si is called silicon in english, which makes people from most other european countries confused.
    So in english, there's something called silicon and something called silicone. In most other european languages, they're called silicium and silicone. I made this mistake too :)

Oh, and DO NOT, EVER, increase the energy output of solars. EVER. (CompactSolars and Advanced Solars are special cases)

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!