Suggestion: Cable coloring improvement.

• Official Post

Three suggestions about cable coloring :

Allow cables to be painted inside inventory, and those when wont immediatly connect to other colored cables.
    Allow cables to retain color upon removal. Color can be removed by placing the colored cable in the crafting, like the painter.
    A new set of colors, which is made of redstone/glowstone and a dye and (glowing color), those colors will prevent cables from connecting to machines and any other color different from its own.

• Official Post

Cables which stop connecting to other cables as well as machines? Me want. Now. :thumbup:

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Official Post

With this new no-EU/p-mechanic i support this idea :D

EU packets or not, I support and want!

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Yeah, having to use plate-covered GT-buffers (sometimes with transformer upgrades) for wiring is kinda expensive.

• Official Post

What about IC stuff which lacks cover system ?

Exactly why we need these cables!

I see this too much.

• 1) First of all, tech limits, as you may know, there is no valid viable way to stack items with different ID's or meta or NBT tags, this is main reason why cables that keep color is bad.
    2) Human limits, believe me, you dont want ability to color your cables inside full 32 bit spectrum, only 8 colors shoud remain;

4 colors that connect to themself and 4 color that only connect to other colors:

operator section:
    A) White - it connect to red, blue, green and white, default color for machines.
    B) Black - does not connect to anything, default color for wires.

main section:
    C) RED - connect to red, yellow and magneta, and white.
    D) GREEN - connect to green, yellow and cyan, and white.
    E) BLUE - connect to blue, cyan and magneta, and white.

link section:
    X) YELLOW - connect to red or green
    Y) CYAN - connect to green and blue
    Z) MAGNETA - connect to blue and red

This is EVERYTHING you need for ultimate wiring.

i can explain how to wire ANY situation with describes set of wires\rules, it does not matter how many colors you want, block have only 8 sides

• 6 like in all the other dimensions? ^^

In a universe with three spatial dimensions a cube has 6 sides. A cube in universe with 4 spatial dimensions is called tesseract and has 24 sides.

• Official Post

1) First of all, tech limits, as you may know, there is no valid viable way to stack items with different ID's or meta or NBT tags, this is main reason why cables that keep color is bad.

Make cables be like GregTech machines that can hold information about covers, covers settings, upgrades, color and BE STACKABLE (given equal covers, cover setting, color and upgrades).

2) Human limits, believe me, you dont want ability to color your cables inside full 32 bit spectrum, only 8 colors shoud remain;

I want another set of 16 "different" colors, not an entire 32 bit spectrum.
    Those colors would be :
    Glowing red, glowing blue, glowing white, glowing pink, glowing magenta, glowing cyan, glowing black... [Those would just be the old colors, but with less/more contrast]
    Those "glowing" colors would connect to other wires of the same color [including non-glowing] and does not connect to machines.
    This is an easy system to allow a much safer wiring.

Too complicated. for stupid people

ok, how many sides blocks in your universe have?

Minecraft is made of cubes and they have only 6 faces :

• 8 colors with semicomplex connection rules a lot better then covers and other stuff, they easy as hell and provide same overall functionality.

SpwnX
    there is no limits on storing data inside NBT tags on items, but ANY difference in such data makes item UNSTACK, anyone who use something like this for wirework will end with full inventory of "different" cables that does not stack.

in case of 8 colors you will have cable and 8 painters on your hotbat (total 9 slots) and nothing will take additional ones.

in my ruleset, link cabled does not connect to machines, you just place your power line, if you want to skip machine, you just place link cable at ajucent location (red powerline, yellow cable and machine skipped), if you want to skip multiple machines in row - select other route, if some actual reasons for this, white cable is placeholder actually, it can be set to not connect to machines and not connect to main colors but connect to any link color, i will post demomod and updated rules as soon as got some time for mod development.

when you place cables - they all black, soo they does not connect to each other, other cables or machines, as long as you not appoved you decicion to place cable here, by switching slot to proper painter you wont burn anything

• Official Post

8 colors with semicomplex connection rules a lot better then covers and other stuff, they easy as hell and provide same overall functionality.

Your definition of easy is not good for new players, really.

SpwnX
    there is no limits on storing data inside NBT tags on items, but ANY difference in such data makes item UNSTACK, anyone who use something like this for wirework will end with full inventory of "different" cables that does not stack.

"full inventory" ... i would paint cables on demand, of course, like everyone would. Not to mention people usually uses only TWO colors, rarely three, but never more than four, unless that person wiring is freaking messed.
    Also, you could make the cable drop as a block item [with cable texture and tooltip stating color], so cables with same NBT (color) would stack.
    Not to mention that one could simply remove the paint by putting it in the crafting grid (shapeless recipe).

in case of 8 colors you will have cable and 8 painters on your hotbat (total 9 slots) and nothing will take additional ones.

in my ruleset, link cabled does not connect to machines, you just place your power line, if you want to skip machine, you just place link cable at ajucent location (red powerline, yellow cable and machine skipped), if you want to skip multiple machines in row - select other route, if some actual reasons for this, white cable is placeholder actually, it can be set to not connect to machines and not connect to main colors but connect to any link color, i will post demomod and updated rules as soon as got some time for mod development.

when you place cables - they all black, soo they does not connect to each other, other cables or machines, as long as you not appoved you decicion to place cable here, by switching slot to proper painter you wont burn anything

That would difficult "ready-to-function" cabling.