Don't expect mods for 1.7 for a long time, says cpw

• Mojang has released the 1.7.1 pre-release and there has been 3 disturbing tweets from cpw.

@KrypticDot @TheKevin8082 complete world save rewrite, complete block and item identification rewrite.

EwyBoy @SeargeDP low to medium. Depends on how bad you've been ;)

(In response to a question on how well an FML mod will survive 1.7)

@KrypticDot @TheKevin8082 we estimate about 20% of 1.6 is still gonna be recognizable in 1.7.

For those of you not in the know about the snapshots, these are the major changes in the snapshots:
    - More worldgen
    - Rewriting of a few thousand lines of code
    - Rewriting the sound engine
    - Resource pack redevelopmemt
    - Achievements & statistics overhaul
    - New color pallete for maps
    - Block IDs are deprecated (still usable, but will be removed in a future update)
    - Command changes

Well I guess we can forget about modded 1.7 until Xmas.

• Official Post

Ironic how just before that add a ModAPI in, they break every mod ever made :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• - Rewriting of a few thousand lines of code

According to later MC devs tweets it's closer to about a million lines :P

Ironic how just before that add a ModAPI in, they break every mod ever made :P

It's a necessary evil. Without the changes modding would be rather hard to support properly. No, currently modding isn't supported properly.

• Official Post

Sorry, I missed a word in https://mojang.com/2013/10/min…e-that-changed-the-world/
    "It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update"

500K then ;o

• Why don't we just stop our updatings here, and stay with 1.6.4? We don't need the latest new item and latest 5000 world-breaking problems each update, and it would allow the use of different versions of different mods together.

• Official Post

Why don't we just stop our updatings here, and stay with 1.6.4? We don't need the latest new item and latest 5000 world-breaking problems each update, and it would allow the use of different versions of different mods together.

Because people always want new features.

• Ironic how just before that add a ModAPI in, they break every mod ever made :P

It basically works like this ;)

1.) Mojang creates Minecraft without modding in mind
    2.) The community invents creative ways to cobble together mods anyway
    3.) Mojang changes the Minecraft code so that it can be easily modded
    4.) All existing mods break because the cobbled together workarounds are no longer valid
    5.) People moan that Mojang actively works against modders

It's true that the pressure to match every new vanilla version update puts a major strain on modders, and consumes most of the development time that could otherwise be used for content. In 1.2.x modding flourished because that version ran so long without any serious vanilla updates that everyone was content developing all the time. By contrast, in the 1.4 - 1.5 - 1.6 cadence we saw much less content created than before because everyone was busy updating all the time.

So there's a tough choice to make: do we want vanilla Minecraft, and thus work on modding support, to stagnate so that modders can develop content on a difficult to mod platform? Or do we want Mojang to run full speed ahead with its complete internal rebuilding of Minecraft into an easily moddable platform, while current mod developers throw their hands in the air in frustration? Both are far from an ideal situation.

• Because people always want new features.

Yup. Those people. It's like they don't realize the price for new content... :rolleyes:

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Why don't we just stop our updatings here, and stay with 1.6.4? We don't need the latest new item and latest 5000 world-breaking problems each update, and it would allow the use of different versions of different mods together.

Honestly I do agree, I think you guys should stay working with 1.5 and 1.6, since your mods won't need to be modified or started over again. After all I still haven't updated since I feel that MC is going in a direction that I won't be updating to. Just add tweaks and new machines, etc. Heck, if I was a modder I would only stick with 1.5 and earlier. Since my PC can hanlde it.

• Why don't we just stop our updatings here, and stay with 1.6.4?

Because, just as with 1.3, 1.7 will make modders lives far easier than they are at the moment. For starters item/block ID conflicts will be eliminated entirely. Can you imagine how many bogus bugreports and broken worlds will that prevent? Why would any modder NOT want that?

• And its updates like this that is making Shrine Runner more of a problem then it needs to be (on top of studies). Luckily there was a issue with porting to 1.6 so I may just wait for 1.7 mods to start remaking the map

• ModAPI - I hope then that "ModAPI" will be created in co - operation with someone from ForgeTeam and REAL developers of mods and some of us, which have pretty long experience with Minecraft mods like IC2 Team, Eloraam(Even she's not able to help with anything cause I heard she end her ForgeDEV part of life), SirSengir etc.

It could be new start for all developers, if Mojang simply say "Oh, we're wrong. We need to go back, look around and update again, because we screw it up somewhere.
    But it won't shall to happen. Its bad news for me. Content which suppose to be added at 1.7.X is for me totally useless beside of some code changes, which I really can appreciate.
    "Podzol", "Red Sand", "Packed Ice"... I know it's features, but...

After all that years, ideas and everything I just was hoping they come with something more interesting. Don't just come with re - textured dirt with new name or transparentless ice.
    Amplified world type will be totally DEAD for EBXL, BOP and Highlands... I mean, it isn't neccesary to use Biome mod features, if you use Amplified, cause it screw everything. Every single feel from walking around world and feeling atmosphere from Hills, Swamps... This is bad feature, totally useless...

They should focus about other things, like tweaking EVERYTHING what isn't done yet. What about instead of "sound features" focus to MULTI - THREADING processes at all.
    Now on 1.5.2 was good mod, which tweak this and separate processes to categories for better improve multi-cores and CPU's.

They haven't this idea? After years, they haven't...?

I think lot people would appreciate that. Me surely. I'm like its writen in Java, because learn Java is easier for me and maybe for others too.
    But choosing something like this through knowing then it have heavy fall to performance of PC's, no Mojang, not good enough :D

So, instead of wasting my own time about coding something, still will prepare works for my Addon and other stuff for Minecraft.

And prayin', hoping and crossing my fingers then this is LAST wrong step of Mojang...

public void getForumUserData(Signature signature, User user) { if(user.equalsTo("Cass") && user.isOnline() { Forum.Out.println("signature")})return;}

Edited once, last by CastielAngelow ().

• ModAPI? Really? Finally someone learn Forge and now we need to learn ModAPI? :D I think I throw some creepers to Mojang DEV center :D

The day we get the mod API will be the day Nintendo release Mother (/Earthbound) 3 and Sega releases a Sonic game that people don't find something to complain about

• The day we get the mod API will be the day Nintendo release Mother (/Earthbound) 3 and Sega releases a Sonic game that people don't find something to complain about

I edit my previous thread, so, what I said currently isn't right :D

public void getForumUserData(Signature signature, User user) { if(user.equalsTo("Cass") && user.isOnline() { Forum.Out.println("signature")})return;}

• I edit my previous thread, so, what I said currently isn't right :D

I still maintain what I said about the ModAPI though.

• I still maintain what I said about the ModAPI though.

I'll keep it in my mind :D

But around ForgeAPI, I'm excited what Lex will do with Forge after 1.7 and laterly after Mod API... Here will be API for API or Forge replace Mod API? Or best option...
    Forge will be upgrade for Mod API and it will improve functions and force it themself :D :thumbup:

And prayin', hoping and crossing my fingers then this is LAST wrong step of Mojang...

It's not. Mojang is foolishly pushing forward for its own content, and has decided against trying to add community based work for-the-moment as a whole. I don't foresee a change in this policy...

Since Jeb took over Mojang, there has been a bit of a development drift from small aspects being added into a large sand-box (Notch style) to more organized rewrites and story driven content to add theme (Jeb style). For a good period of time, this was all fine and good. But since Jeb and the Mojang team have taken it upon themselves to flesh out Minecraft into more of an adventure RPG world, rather than an open sand box of creativity, they have ignored the community contributions and begun doing as they like in result...

It was Notch's haphazard laziness that prevented us from getting a Mod API before the official Minecraft release. Now, it appears that Jeb and Dinnerbone have changed objectives entirely, and would rather just continuously add content in a DLC like manner than focus on creating official tools for community creations. Which is a shame, since I think a valuable, educational, golden opportunity could have been seized had they allowed more official support for Minecraft modding...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.