Suggestion: Radiated blocks (After Nuclear Reactor goes boom)

• Nuclear reactors should change some of the blocks within a certain radius (probably based on how efficient the reactor was or how much uranium was in it) in to radioactive versions of that tile when they explode in addition to their explosion damage, of course. Probably would be fine to only do this on natural blocks such as sand, smoothstone, dirt, and grass. Perhaps this block would glow. These blocks would need a special tool to mine up (something for cleaning up radioactiveness i don't know what it would be called) and cause slow damage if a player is within a certain number of tiles. Perhaps if they wear certain armor it would protect them.

Mainly I think it would be cool for the repurcussions of a nuclear blast to include some of the natural blocks (maybe even some of the unnatural ones) to be changed to radioactive ones.

LMK what you think.

• Although this is one of the more feasible ways of making fall out actually. Glowing might be hard to pull off, but they could be off.coloured from their normal selves. You'd only really need to do it with the natural blocks, (dirt, gravel, sand, stone). Give each block within a radius larger than the explosion radius a chance to turn "radioactive" thus be replaced by one of these new blocks.

• I love an idea of such "dirty" blocks, but I think the main reason why all "radiation" ideas are rejected is their extremely CPU-hungry nature. For example, you have 10x10x10 cube of radioactive blocks. (15.6 stacks in inventroy terms) And you have 100 mobs and players in SMP. So, there is at least 10^5=100000 extra distance calculations per every game step! It may be optimized, but will require alot of heavy programming and still be too CPU-hungry.

So, maybe new radioactive blocks will damage players only while contacting on mining them? And maybe radiated stone will become some sort of a refineable resource? Macerate such a stone into radiated sand, then refine it to get some rare isotopes...

• Or just make them tick very rarely, like once a minute. What about making it ONE block, that (on creation) takes the appearance of the one it replaced? (It IS possible to have variable texture on blocks, right?) Maybe a small glow, but they should be hard to identify; If you blow a nuke in the forest it WILL be lethal for a long time unless you stip away all the dirt and maybe even the stone below...
    So on these "radiactive ticks", every radioactive block will have a chance to trigger the AoE damage (Chance to make it less predictable). Also they will randomly reduce some "radiactivity level" that both determine damage and, when it runs out, changes the block back to the original non-radioactive one. Maybe there should be a "scrubber" terraformer that remove them...
    These blocks will of course have to share a similar step sound, minespeed and all that, so what about stone material (quite neutral, dull sound) and a fairly low minespeed unaffected by tools (0,5 sec?)

Now, these blocks shouldn't be LOLWTFDEAD? GIven that they tick rarely and even then only damages if the dice rolls their way (Chance determined by radioactivity level), half a heart in a pretty long radius (7 blocks?) won't be a lot unless you build a house there.

Although I have a feeling this won't be implemented as a matter of principles; If they pull stuff off the "nonono" list, people might just start trying to being up EVERYTHING in there and thus negate its purpouse...

• Radioactivity has mostly been rejected due to feasibility issues. Maybe if someone were to write an add-on... I like the ideas being thrown around though. I agree with the more longterm, small damage thing. Makes a more radiated area feel more lethal as well. I dont think just because someone said "lol lets radiate shit" and that got turned down doesnt mean that threads discussing more feasible ways of adressing this should be disregarded. (also anyone suggesting that handling uranium should be dangerous clearly has no idea about nuclear decay and the term "activity").

• Radioactivity has mostly been rejected due to feasibility issues. Maybe if someone were to write an add-on... I like the ideas being thrown around though. I agree with the more longterm, small damage thing. Makes a more radiated area feel more lethal as well. I dont think just because someone said "lol lets radiate shit" and that got turned down doesnt mean that threads discussing more feasible ways of adressing this should be disregarded. (also anyone suggesting that handling uranium should be dangerous clearly has no idea about nuclear decay and the term "activity").

Well, I have a feeling carrying a bunch of fuel rods in tin cintainers can't be THAT healthy ^^

You might not get radiation burns or anything, but you won't feel so well in 10 years or so if you do it for a long time :whistling:

But still, the most sensible way to implement it is non-realistic instant damage.

Edit: Lol, the radiactivity suggestion linked by the compendium suggest making the ORE radiactive, so you need a lead suit to mine it.

• I believe radiation is one of the 'permanent reject' list items.

No al said he is gona implant radition.... it is already kind off... when you reacotr goes crtical you start to burn when you touch it and when it is about to melt down you get zapped form 2 blocks :D

• Actually, I don't know how well this would go over, but with the "glowing" aspect to some of the blocks affected by the Reactor wouldn't the new lighting system with the overlay colours in 1.8 work?

• meh, its mostly due to dust and poisoning. Actually getting radiation effects from yellow cake is pretty darn impossible, your average twinky has more activity. I think damage scale wise it should be pretty massive (of the order of chunks) put relatively random and small amounts. Make it scale with uranium contained (just like normal explosions)?

• Maybe an easier way to do it would be to add one more block (I know to many blocks lol). You know how when it snows the ground get covered by snow. Why not build that into the explosion. The explosion would create these blocks that would land on the ground and do something. Be it damage players/mobs or render the area around it unbuildable until it is removed by what ever means is decided.

• Maybe an easier way to do it would be to add one more block (I know to many blocks lol). You know how when it snows the ground get covered by snow. Why not build that into the explosion. The explosion would create these blocks that would land on the ground and do something. Be it damage players/mobs or render the area around it unbuildable until it is removed by what ever means is decided.

The idea we were going with so far was to make it relatively un-see-able (yes, that is a word!). Give it a random chance to do damage and another random chance to decay away. Make it check once every minute or so, that way if you travel quickly you can get through an area without much damage, also CPU usage should be fairly easy to damage.

• Like the idea of radiation and hazards. TIME FOR A BORING LOAD OF TEXT!

Before I start typing I'd like to point out I don't know much of anything about programming so please don't flame me. Just tell me where I went wrong.
    First off. Radiation isn't visible so no glow is required. Secondly as far as an area of effect thing goes, why not just make all blocks have a radiation number, nothing complex just a number from 1 to x (x being the range you wish radiation to effect the player from the radioactive block).
    For example my uranium block has a radiation distance of 5 so it makes tells the blocks around it to become 4, they tell those around to become 3 etc to 1. At this point the blocks don't need to check around them anymore as any changes to their state will come from them being destroyed.

I imagine that the players avatar has code to detect what blocks it's inside of and stood on(I assume this because noise changes when we walk over different blocks and lava and water burn / suffocate us). The players avatar could then be made to detect the radiation level it's in and on. Any amount over y(whatever amount is judged to be fair) and the player would start taking damage, below y the player would be able to detect radiation but not take damage from it. Geiger counter could detect every second and show radiation level or show on activation. I would not have damage over time radiation as I do not think it fits but that would not be for me to decide. I'd rather take immediate damage(even tho not as realistic) and know not to go back where I just was without protection.

Now...the protection. NOT lead. As al has stated he doesn't want new ores, this whole idea is worked into existing blocks. Lead is used for radiation shielding because it is dense. Steel is half as effective but STILL effective vs radiation but making a full steel suit to combat radiation seems half so...a suit of advanced allow and a re-enforced glass panel to see through. Newer radiation shielding is made from layers of metals of lower and lower density. The steel-copper-tin advanced alloy would do nicely. If someone wants to be realisic you can pretend there's a high-z metal infront of it, too specific for this.

If I've said anything stupid or wrong please point them out.

• Iridium is Very dense, nearly as dense as lead.
    how about the quantumsuit protecting fully from radiation but mabye getting lowered energy
    that way the only thing to add is the radiation code/block itself

• If having radiation damage from blocks is unfeasible, what about just turning the nearby blocks into a new block type that's completely useless? Something that absolutely nothing will grow on. Make it break, the way Glass does if mined, so it can't be used for a building material. I'm sure there are many ideas for something like that.

• Well the original issue with the radiation was CPU usage, because ti was a "every block within x is damaging".

The suggsetion of turning Dirt into Radioactive Dirt, Stone into Radioactive Stone, etc. each block having a minor green glow (which isn't that hard to do in the code) isn't a bad idea at all. Whether the blocks would damage you and how kinda is a little difficult to code.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Would it be easily coded so that the block is like lava or cactus? or so that instead of catching fire you get radiation sickness or something

• Would it be easily coded so that the block is like lava or cactus? or so that instead of catching fire you get radiation sickness or something

Making copies of Fire are not particularly easy, however using a cactus base might be fine.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• What about replacing air, if there was a radiation block
    then all air blocks around a block that is radioactive could be replaced, then you wouldn't need to do damaged calculations for all blocks in some distance every tick.
    When you are in a radiation block you take damage when non when not. Also you would have to set a trigger on blocks breaking to reduce the radiation blocks back to air, but that would only be a slight computation.

Could also have a couple different radiation blocks that way it could be stronger or weaker radiation

• I had another idea that might be more interesting:

The Nuclear explosion tears a hole in the fabric of Minecraft space and time. What this really does is convert some blocks into or create a number of mob spawners for Nether mobs (Nether mobs in the overworld!). They should be concentrated near the bottom of the pit. Then you can get your DOOM on and try to get near the spawners to plant a TNT to get rid of them or die trying.