April fools joke.

• Just want to know if the cables and mecanismes will be preserved like the bc transition to rf
    If not, this will be the saddest day in the history of minecraft modding.
    The e-net itself is the reason that I stick with IC2 and reject the use of thermal expansion, of courese currently I've been using uncomplication to maintain it's playability

Edit: Is there any possibility for ic2 to be open-source?

The e-net is also the reason I insist to make FrogCraft: Rebirth an IC2 addon. The decision of IC2 adapting RF in 1.8.9 makes it impossible to port my FrogCraft: Rebirth to 1.8.9 (more likely).

(Are there still folks who remember FrogCraft? I started to work on a 1.7.10 port since last year.)

• There are multiple sources of kinetic energy. Would you rather have several versions of each of the consumers? Like one hand-cranked lathe, one steam powered, one electric etc?

You can really just get rid of the Turning Table and nobody will care. Just remove the handle from the Laser and replace the drill bit in the Diamond Drill with a Lapotron or something.

• Thank you all for the work. Serious, thanks! It was one of my main mods for a long time.

Now IC2 is dead.

Engineering (and failing) was the main part. Maybe this is also possible under RF. Maybe this is a possibility to change somethings, for the good.

We will see what the future brings to the new IC² 3/4

• I, like others, wish you would keep the EU energy net and not move to RF. I understand that if you didn't move to RF you would no longer to really be able to update IC2 due to the amount of work it would take to update the energy net. At least if you us RF please, PLEASE put the extra work in and do your best to have it function like the old IC2 energy net did. If you don't then it will not really be much different than TE or other RF mods.

Thank you truly for all of your hard work for so many years working on IC2 :)

• I can't see why you "had to" move to RF or how EU could not be ported to 1.8.9.

Is there someone within the IC2 team, with an agenda to ditch EU?

It is moving IC2 in direct competition with other established RF powered mods that already do the job;
    and it is depriving those who explicitly choose EU because of, failing risks and challenges:
    The core raison d'etre of IC2.

I ain't omen a negative outcome, but don't let anyone rename IC2 to IC2RF as in "Industrial Craft To Really Fail".

[EDIT]: It is not April Fool Day Yet :(

• Design-wise, sort of, but it was RF or death for us - our ecosystem is far smaller than IC2's.

No Asie. Buildcraft should have simply changed their EnergyAPI a bit and everyone would have supported it still..
    The main reason why people left was because the API was simply: You have to do it our way and thats it...
    If you wanted to make a converter you had to constantly drain the Energy out of the custom battery in the old system to make it work.
    A simply IC2 API like thing: Receiver and Sender would have been enough... Switching to RF was the same solution but you got ride of what BC was worth for. Its own uniqe power system with Explosions...

• Design-wise, sort of, but it was RF or death for us - our ecosystem is far smaller than IC2's.

That says nothing about RF actually being good, fitting, or anything positive, just that this community is so singleminded in their push for RFification that you had to choose between that and forced obsolescence at the hands of others.

• No Asie. Buildcraft should have simply changed their EnergyAPI a bit and everyone would have supported it still..
    The main reason why people left was because the API was simply: You have to do it our way and thats it...
    If you wanted to make a converter you had to constantly drain the Energy out of the custom battery in the old system to make it work.
    A simply IC2 API like thing: Receiver and Sender would have been enough... Switching to RF was the same solution but you got ride of what BC was worth for. Its own uniqe power system with Explosions...

Explosions were only removed in BC 6.3.0, 2 months after moving to RF.

As for "everyone": the BC 5.0 API (outdated for 6 months by the RF moving date) was supported by Forestry, RailCraft, Applied Energistics 2 and OpenComputers, not counting BC addons. The BC 6.0 API was supported by Applied Energistics 2 only.

• Wow, a lot of people doom and glooming in here. IC2 is not dead, this is actually fantastic news!

Remember, it's about the mods you include in a pack that decides balance, not the energy system a mod uses.

Make a pack with Buildcraft, Forestry, IC2, and Railcraft as the main tech mods and things will feel great!

This is only true because SpaceToad could not be trusted to manage any API ever and was bound and determined to destroy MJ's uniqueness and make it into a worse clone of RF. I didn't feel like going along for the ride so me and Railcraft got off the train.

• No Asie. Buildcraft should have simply changed their EnergyAPI a bit and everyone would have supported it still..

You just described the RF API. MJ was unique because it had rules. It worked a certain way. It wasn't intended to be a universal power API, it was BC's power API. The explosions were never part of its identity, they were simply a failed experiment by cpw that I eventually removed.

• This is only true because SpaceToad could not be trusted to manage any API ever and was bound and determined to destroy MJ's uniqueness and make it into a worse clone of RF. I didn't feel like going along for the ride so me and Railcraft got off the train.

Even then, over a year of damage was far too much to ever get MJ resurrected with BC continuing to stay relevant. It'd take another major event the scale of the RF move for MJ to come back. But maybe there's another way?

This was a common misconception about the MJ power system (that there always had to be loss and there was no way to avoid it). Yes, the API did have loss built in, and yes you couldn't eliminate that loss entirely on the API part of it, but what you did with the power after receiving it was not something that the MJ API dictated and you could configure the loss at the receiving end to be virtually negligible. It was entirely possible to have a machine that would store massive amounts of MJ, shut off its power requesting, and lose only a small amount of MJ in the transfer buffer.

• Wow, a lot of people doom and glooming in here. IC2 is not dead, this is actually fantastic news!

Remember, it's about the mods you include in a pack that decides balance, not the energy system a mod uses.

Make a pack with Buildcraft, Forestry, IC2, and Railcraft as the main tech mods and things will feel great!

And not to do what 90% of all Players do, is what made IC2 / Gregtech unique. Not plug and play, more think about what you do. RF is great, don't get me wrong! But without this unique Powersystem you basicly don't need any IC2 machine because they are mainly interchangeable. Its like taking Gearboxes from Rotarycraft.

I may be a noob among those great names in this forum, but for me the whole thing sounds like a lazy excuse for not porting IC2 to 1.8.9+ as it was. There are mods for 1.8.9 even 1.9 with basic powersystems ( that are not RF based!) Why don't make a new E-Net? Start with basics and evolve with time. That should be doable and keeps IC2 what it was.

The other suggestion to merge IC2 to Grgtech would be a nother logical choice(when Gt goes 1.8 / 1.9?). Gt6 has so much similarities to ic2 with its Rotary and Heatunits. Why not pass the rest to Gt?

It wouold be very sad to loose a nother original to the unified modscene. And anyone who disagrees: Think about why we play with mods...

I hope the IC2 team will rethink this..but thank you for all what was done in the past!

• Make a pack with Buildcraft, Forestry, IC2, and Railcraft as the main tech mods and things will feel great!

I'm honestly skeptical about that. IC2 always felt really unique because it had its own power system and now you can just set up some RC HP boilers, and that's all you need for power in that case.

• Half-Life reference, switching to RF and going back to old UU... This all feels like an early Aprils 1st joke...
    In case its not, this is just depressing, dropping EU is forgetting IC identity itself, as Briareos81 said, many 1.9 mods are creating their own power systems, why not making a simple e-net for IC and evolving it? Of course it would be a lot of work at first, but just switching to RF is almost doing no work at all.
    I hope the decision is reconsidered, or that its just a prank. :P

:Matter: Some of these emojis are quite nostalgic :Mobile Charger:

• As a long time IC2 fan this is sad but maybe there are other ways in which IC2 could still remain the mod that engineer type people enjoy?

I mean, BC still has rf power 'flowing' through pipes, and as CJ pointed out the explosions werent really what bc was all about anyway... but its what people remember and want back. IMO ic2 fans just want some challenge and thought involved when they play, instead of 'connect rf cables to machines that auto regulate like a mindless robot then watch then all work'

So, arent there other ways to make ic2 more intricate? To me, TInkers Construct shows what people really want... choice, and options. If someone made a tinkers rip off with hugely OP tools that were easy to make (in a crafting table) you would think it would be more popular right? no smeltery construction to slog through, etc.

I really don't think so. IMO is not the OPness to Tic that makes it popular, its that people can make things differently each playthrough, and the ever elusive 'best tool' is always on the horizon. IMO that is what bc and ic2 and redpower had. Redpower blutricity meant that you could align solar panels differently and get different power output. BC... I remember having 1 out of 6 combustion engines just not getting water. I changed how i set up the liquid pipes, and it then worked. Item pipes of course penalize you for setting things up wrong.

IC2 had the energy net, it's the fact that it required thought that was the main issue, so why not try to put thinking into the machines, instead of the pipes? It could still use RF power using the BC system, with power still flowing through the pipes, and instead of max packet size per wire, its now like BC, with max throughput in each wire. BC kinesis pipes today are still far more interesting than other rf pipes are, so evne if IC2 did that, its still better than just going the TE/EIO route.

The ic2 nukes show how machines can be made to be challenging. Just like Tinkers or Botania, you can set IC2 nukes up differently and improve on a design, do things differently the next world, etc. IC2 generators could overheat like bc engines do, or possibly machines could be made modular like a tinkers tool is? People ask how you set up an ic2 nuke, couldnt a similar system be put into normal machines? A heat exchanger makes the machine use less power but it wears out over time? Or overclockers that increase speed *without* increasing power draw, but then the machine has a tiny chance to melt down or blow up or maybe just fry the upgrade each hour or something?

I think that if rf can still 'flow' through wires like BC uses RF then ic2 could still be interesting. Couldnt cables be coded to say 'if this cable doesnt receive 100 rf/t then stop all power transfer'? That would be like a voltage. "one of your generators ran out of coal so your power dropped and then the 'resistance' in the wires stopped power flow, and your system shut down.

I personally think there are plenty of ways to make things interesting. Its not interesting to set up the same exact macerator for the 100th time though, imo apply the idea that makes Nukes awesome to the whole mod. Let players choose options that affect how things work.

• This is only true because SpaceToad could not be trusted to manage any API ever and was bound and determined to destroy MJ's uniqueness and make it into a worse clone of RF. I didn't feel like going along for the ride so me and Railcraft got off the train.

This is actually a bit of a feeling I got last night with EU; MJ and EU have now both suffered the same fate. A creator tried to re-write them, left them damaged, and eventually a new version came along that jettisoned the faltering energy system and adapted to RF.

• If this is, indeed, not an ill-advised April Fools day joke then I've gotta say I'll be quite sad at the loss of a good power system. IC2, to me, is defined by it's more complex power system and without that then I don't think it has any draw for me in any way.