Electrochips

• (This is in reply to the blog post)

WOW
    That is all.

No really, just wow. There is so much potential, I would seriously spend hours upon hours on this. Using red-stone as a serial cable to communicate between different chips would be great :). And when developing this if the devs need more information on how microchips actually work, and how they interface with each other, I know, and I would be willing to share.

• Alblacka says to stop the hype as the cpus will only perform simple functions..

DUH!

What does a cpu in a computer do? Simple functions. Its the software which does the special stuff :)

• Official Post

Well, redstone only does an incredibly basic function. On or Off. Even the "basic" functions in the electrochips are far greater than anything redstone offers. Not to mention that fact that people have constructed working PCs with redstone including modems, GPU, Ram, the works. I think Alb is underestimating his own creation here. ;)

• YO DAWG, we heard you liked computers, so we put a computer in your computer, so you can compute while you compute!!

On a more serious note:
    If the electro chips go so far as to become mini computers (IE CPU's, GPU's etc.), that would be amazing!
    Course though, Alblaka is free to do as he wishes.

• This will need a new series of data transfer cables (seriously, idk why :Glass Fibre: is able to transfer EU at very low resistance and High voltage - should be replaced by some glowstone lapis superconductors or something.)
    They would obviously not connect to power cables and would be required to control these useful blocks that Al talked about.
    And would also be used when transferring any type of data between storages or to the CPUs and would be crucial when placing consoles (actually called Terminals IRL).
    This would again require there to be switch boxes and Netting/Sub-netting.

• What'll be awesome is if this allows us to control our entire operations from a single console, therefor using a command to activate power to a completely separate place off site, or such. Allowing us to create "control rooms" essentially. Especially if proper querying is doable with various devices (power supply queries, chest inventories, etc.) its all plausible but doubtful, but damn wouldn't it be cool if.

To what regard this will allow features and such is completely unknown at the time, but I get the feeling once this is done some IC2 modders will have a blast messing with it doing what Al decides not to. I do agree, Al is highly underestimating his own design potentials here, even if he only does what the blog post says as a fraction, it'll be infinitely more expansive than what Redstone allows.

I understand its a very simple system, but given us players, we're renowned for taking simple and creating amazing things with it. Look at what we've done with redstone!

[Note] Al don't read past this point, this is me rambling in my own head with concepts. I figure most isn't possible but the possibilities (if they are even that) are so awesome.

=

Also given that we can put text in GUIs (something I never knew was doable), wouldn't it be possible then to name Kernels and call them when you want them as long as they're connected to your system? Couldn't you save your databanks by name and save scripts by name and call them appropriately as well? I must look at my own source and tinker around a bit with this concept..

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Actually, latter part is what i had intended. Placing a kernel permits to name it. All other parts would probably be labeled by numbers.
    Eventually i will even manage the libary to be capable of storing "alias"'s... thus you could name "RedstoneCore3" into "ReactorControl" or stuff.

You disregarded my advice! xD

But in any way, that's awesome, it means control rooms WILL be possible. I could construct an entire field of stuff with a control tower and then order it from there. That kind of stuff is what has me intrigued. (That and the fact that what you don't do, I'm sure some modders will)

So many possibilities.. *raises hands towards the sky*

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• @ Alblaka
    Will this sort of thing be working with Redpower or entirely incompatible?
    (its a much more advanced (compact and complex) form of redpower logic isnt it?)

• Official Post

@ Alblaka
    Will this sort of thing be working with Redpower or entirely incompatible?
    (its a much more advanced (compact and complex) form of redpower logic isnt it?)

One major use of Electronics will be to control EU and redstone flow.
    If i implent Electronics somewhow, you can be sure to get some redstone thingy.
    My current intention is a block which can read in or write out redstone specifically on either on it's 6 sides.

• FYI: Eloraam is making the same (similar) thing:

http://www.eloraam.com/

• I fear Elo is biting off quite a bit.

I'm under the impression he's trying to basically recreate BC/IC in his own mod to create one super Technic mod. At least that seems to be his long term goal. Also his computing system seems way overcomplicated, only people with a serious understanding of computing will be able to do the most trivial of tasks using it, Al's seems to be more of a control system that's simplified.

• I fear Elo is biting off quite a bit.

I'm under the impression he's trying to basically recreate BC/IC in his own mod to create one super Technic mod. At least that seems to be his long term goal. Also his computing system seems way overcomplicated, only people with a serious understanding of computing will be able to do the most trivial of tasks using it, Al's seems to be more of a control system that's simplified.

dont forget some of BTW!