Electrochips

• I fear Elo is biting off quite a bit.

I'm under the impression he's trying to basically recreate BC/IC in his own mod to create one super Technic mod. At least that seems to be his long term goal. Also his computing system seems way overcomplicated, only people with a serious understanding of computing will be able to do the most trivial of tasks using it, Al's seems to be more of a control system that's simplified.

You've obviously not been following the rate at which she's been developing things then. She's also done the last few versions of Forge. From what I've seen, she's quite capable of following through on her plans. If you need an example, take a look at the micro-block system.

And it's somewhat odd to say that her system is overcomplicated as it's just a recreation of an existing chip. Amusingly she implemented it because she wanted a break from all the foundation work she'd been doing.

Is she doing things that other people have done? Yes, but she's making the mod she wants to make. And honestly, I must say that her toys are quite elegant and have proven to surprise me with more capabilities then I'd initially thought they would have.

edited for grammar.

• Wasn't meaning to take a hostile tone, I'm just annoyed that at the rate she's going with implementation she'll eventually have so much overlapping content with BC and IC2 that we'll be cutting ourselves off from a lot of good content just to keep our servers from having duplicates of ores, tools, machines, and pipes. At least the extra parts are optional for now, but I'm still sad I can't have most of the systems without having to duplicate content.

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• Gonna have to agree there.
    It's annoying that there is so much overlap, and if Eloraam continues working (which I hold no objection to aside from overlapping), then IC, BC, and Eloraam's mods will all be competing for the same group of gamers. Meaning the only way to avoid overlap is, if Forge figures out how to integrate all the different aspects of the mod seamlessly (IE only one copper ore as opposed to the IC and Eloraam one) or combine IC, BC and Eloraam's mods all into one seamless super mod.

• So Elo did not work on the technich pack? Then who made the interconnections between the mods in that super pack? Was that all by cake eater whatever?

• Official Post

Now, she has been concentrated on redstone so far, but the CPU thingy IS bothering me to some degree.
    The point is, she IS a more capable, probably better motivated, coder then me and most likely everyone else of the IC² team.
    Second problem, creating overlaps is a bad idea. It's the reason i didn't implement Oil, SpaceToad didn't advance his EnergyPipes and neitehr of us did much in the regard of redstone. But now ER and IC got the idea of CPUs. Judging by the stuff on her blog, her CPU is meant to be more complex then mine, permitting actually anything a real CPU could. She's a genius in regard of boolean functions after all.

I'm currently thinking about dropping the whole CPU idea from IC and instead focus on vehicles and stuff. There's no use in wasting loads of time creating another CPU system, which would still be inferior to Eloraams one. But so far i doubt either BC or ER has plans for vehicles or other similar stuff in that regard, whereas IC (dadadadaaaaa *secret info release*) got a semi-functionally car code and model for some time now.

Probably i will build a redstone-EU-controller thingy as well as a few blocks , previously meant to be included in the CPU, as seperate blocks. We still need the reactor heat controller one.
    First things first though, and these first things are advanced MCForge functionality and the mysterious CF, all within the upcoming 1.2 update.

• Now, she has been concentrated on redstone so far, but the CPU thingy IS bothering me to some degree.
    The point is, she IS a more capable, probably better motivated, coder then me and most likely everyone else of the IC² team.
    Second problem, creating overlaps is a bad idea. It's the reason i didn't implement Oil, SpaceToad didn't advance his EnergyPipes and neitehr of us did much in the regard of redstone. But now ER and IC got the idea of CPUs. Judging by the stuff on her blog, her CPU is meant to be more complex then mine, permitting actually anything a real CPU could. She's a genius in regard of boolean functions after all.

I'm currently thinking about dropping the whole CPU idea from IC and instead focus on vehicles and stuff. There's no use in wasting loads of time creating another CPU system, which would still be inferior to Eloraams one. But so far i doubt either BC or ER has plans for vehicles or other similar stuff in that regard, whereas IC (dadadadaaaaa *secret info release*) got a semi-functionally car code and model for some time now.

Probably i will build a redstone-EU-controller thingy as well as a few blocks , previously meant to be included in the CPU, as seperate blocks. We still need the reactor heat controller one.
    First things first though, and these first things are advanced MCForge functionality and the mysterious CF, all within the upcoming 1.2 update.

I much prefer your CPU system truthfully, as a loyal fan I think her computer will be an optional mod (ala World/Machine) so we can skip out on it and if given the choice I'd rather have a simpler, easy to use one like yours than one that requires serious knowledge. Would rather hook up like 5 blocks and run a reactor control system than have to build a computer from blocks and manage every byte.

I fear as features expand for all three mods its only a matter of time before serious overlap begins, I enjoy seeing how you and Toad try to keep your mods from overlapping as much as possible (its something quite awesome and respectable). I think overlap with some smaller mods or "absorption" is one thing, but when big mods that are commonly used together start overlapping it gets a bit questionable.

My question Al, is will you ever implement a mini-mod that adds some BC/IC hybrid features? Power generators that feed on Oil perhaps?

Still remember the convo ending with "No, stop bugging me, cables transmitting energy are totally not possible! Use the batterys."

• @BC/IC stuff on the list:
    -Support for BC's liquid pipes
    -Usage of BC oil in fuel cans and for eventual other *cough* purpouses

An engine to convert EU into BC-power is already being taken on by an independant coder.

Thank you sir =) was just curious.

Its nice to have direct interaction with a developer.

• Hehe, keep in mind, we're mere humans as well ^^
    Now, smartassed-nerdish-coder-humans but ye.

Trust me I understand ;)

Its just nice for once to be able to sit down and legitly discuss ideas, on larger scale programming and gaming projects input or discussion doesn't directly happen in a very close manner due to the volume of fans/production time of said item. On smaller mod projects we get access to discuss directly which in itself is nice.

• @BC/IC stuff on the list:
    -Support for BC's liquid pipes
    -Usage of BC oil in fuel cans and for eventual other *cough* purposes

An engine to convert EU into BC-power is already being taken on by an independent coder.

Oh, so a legitimate coder working with you (rather than a rogue coder working against half the modding community) is working on an electric BC engine? By the way, I thought your machines worked with the pipes. Of course, if that coder borrowed and upgraded that technich cake eater guy's code, that sounds like it would be done legitimately enough to not raise eyebrows. You are a very good coder, and even I get smart-assed with my knowledge (math, reading, chemistry, cooking). I still consider any serious coder a "coding demigod" at least. Since you mentioned vehicles and cars, were you aware of a mod that made smart cars (1 person cars)? It was rather basic (like a boat that can run on flat ground) and was never updated past the 1.6 branch of Minecraft (I should know, I started playing in 1.6). You on the other hand, probably worked up enough experience to make 2 person cars with security features and trunks.

• So Elo did not work on the technich pack? Then who made the interconnections between the mods in that super pack? Was that all by cake eater whatever?

Well the technic pack, while an all in one, was not seamless.
    If you were to go out and install each and every single mod, and play, it would be no different from the technic pack.
    What I mean by seamless, is that everything works together without any overlaps.
    For example, only one copper ore as opposed to the 2 copper ores, one for IC and one for Elo's mods)
    Or the two rubber trees from IC and Elo's mods. There are a few other examples, but you get the picture.

Alblaka:
    I personally like your electrochips better. While Elo is brilliant and I'll definitely have to try out her CPU stuff, your seems more straight forward and practical.
    As Shadowclaimer mentioned, I also respect you and spacetoad for working together to prevent in mass overlap, and I can't wait till there are more addons that allow the crossover between some of Minecraft's best mods. Some day, I dream of finally getting into Minecraft coding, and make awesome mods like you.

• Official Post

For example, only one copper ore as opposed to the 2 copper ores, one for IC and one for Elo's mods)

It was mentioned in Elo's blog that the forge team are working on a combined Forge Ore Repository, where mods that use the same ores (copper, tin, etc) will be able to draw from the same blockID. This addresses the above issue. That's all I know about it though. Pretty sure it's not finished yet.

• Official Post

It was mentioned in Elo's blog that the forge team are working on a combined Forge Ore Repository, where mods that use the same ores (copper, tin, etc) will be able to draw from the same blockID. This addresses the above issue. That's all I know about it though. Pretty sure it's not finished yet.

Actually that's already in the 1.2x version.

• Now RP has solar panels and electrical wires.

And an electric furnace. and that's just the Prerelease of "blutricity"

Whats next? Will we have a blue-macerator and a RPQuarry. ;(

• I'm not sure how I feel about the bluetricity system Red Power is adding we will have to see where it goes and how it differs from IC2.
    But I did want to post something Eloraam said on the official forums in case it was missed here as she does seem to be doing this with IC2 in mind and plans to add converters between the two systems.

The Following is a quote from Eloraam from the Minecraft forums.

"The thing is, it's easy to complain about a power system when all I've added to Blutricity so far is a furnace. After all, why would you want to use my furnace and not the one in IC?

But I have a list of ideas for RedPower Tech 2 and 3 that have no contemporaries in either IC nor BC. One of the first ones that's going in is the Sorting Machine, which is the fully upgraded third form of the Transposer. I don't want to give out too many details of how it works yet, but it's unlike anything in either mod, and it requires both a power transfer and item transport system.

To make these advanced technologies work, I needed a power system. RedPower has always been about wires, so I didn't - and don't - see any problem with implementing an energy transfer system.

There are also cases where multiple mods can be used together to provide similar functionality to what I want to provide, but due to the differences between mods (say, IC and BC), the result feels a little inelegant. For example, I'm planning a Crafting Machine.

I plan to make Blulectric Engines to power Buildcraft from BT, and RP/IC transformers to convert to and from IC power units, as separate compatibility submods. It may be a while before I do so, because there are more important things on my priority list, but the intention isn't to replace IC or BC. "